Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 11:07am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Occipital Nerve Decompression »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Occipital Nerve Decompression
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Occipital Nerve Decompression  (Read 1345 times)
Kanga_Kid

Email

Occipital Nerve Decompression
« on: Aug 5th, 2002, 10:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hey Gang - Long time reader first time poster. I am an eposodic suffer and have had no luck in controling these things until I met my new doctor who is also a cluster head. We have been working together for about a year. I have been getting shots to the occipital nerve in the back of my neck for the past year and it has held these things at bay until now. My next step is to have the nerve decompressed surgically on Sept.2nd. So far this proceedure has been 98% effective on the other 44 people who have had this done. I will keep all of you posted.
IP Logged
LauraP

Email

Re: Occipital Nerve Decompression
« Reply #1 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 12:48pm »

Kanga Kid,

This is interesting. My husband and I have often had discussions along these lines. What sort of shots have you been getting in the backof your neck? And how often? Fill me in on more details, please. What geographical area are you in?

Laura
IP Logged
Kanga_Kid

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 1:50pm »

Hi Laura - The shots are a mix of laticane and a small amount of steroide. I usually get the shots once every 3 months or whenever I feel a cluster comming on. For the most part they have been a life saver. Unfortunately, the condition of my occipital nerve is pretty bad and my doc wants me to have surgery to decompress the nerve. He believes that this will permenately KILL the headaches. I live just outside of Philly. If you are interested I will give you his info. Hope all of this helps Smiley
IP Logged
EDDIED

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 8th, 2002, 5:53pm »

Roll EyesKanga, This is my first reply since I have been reading the Message Board. The idea of this type of operation has my interest. However, since I live in California, do you or your Doctor know of anyone in this State doing the same procedure? I too am eposadic and have been suffering with the Beast for almost 20 years. This last cycle has lasted 6 months. Needless to say, I am ready for anything!  ???
  Smiley
IP Logged
LauraP

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 9th, 2002, 8:03am »

Kanga Kid,

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it onto Rick, my husband tonight. From there we still need to find a doctor that can really understand what he's going through and be willing to stand by him. It seems like all of the neuro's his been to in the area (Washington DC suburbs) want to see him from time to time and they are quick to just call in a refill of medication. It's very frustrating! Since I've found this website I have learned so much about these headaches - more than what any of the doctors have told us. So please, by all means, could you send me your doctors information. Philly is not that far we it ever comes to the point that we need to. Thank you again!

Laura
IP Logged
Boerhaave

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13th, 2002, 6:55am »

Hi,

I am treating many cluster headache patients in Amsterdam, Holland. Could you provide me with more information or study result regarding this type of surgery?

IP Logged
sam

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 26th, 2002, 9:35pm »

laura. I am new to the site but not ch. I had ch for 10 years that became chronic. like your husband every 6 months I would do the rounds of doctors and tests. after 10 years of suffering I found a doctor who knew how to treat ch. he told me on the first visit that he could stop the attacks, and he did.  he first put me on lithium for short time then weaned me off it. the attacks stopped almost immediatley. he followed up with other drugs which kept the beast at bay. One of the follow up drugs was cafergot the other I believe was something that is in common use for blood pressure. while I had the medication in my system I had no attacks.   the only thing I have found that can stop an attack is a cup of coffee.  in my case the first sign of an attack is a little discomfort in the carotid artery on the affected side.  if I drink a cup of coffee as soon as I feel that 9 times out of 10 it will stop the attack. you must do that at the first sign because as you know nothing will stop it once it gets started. I tried all the other things people have suggested,walking, running or anything that might take my mind off the thing but they did not work.   since the cause of the pain is vascular dialation I reasoned that coffee which constricts your arteries might help and it did.  try it   let me know if it helps,  I know it works for me     good luck sam
IP Logged
Marshall_D

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 18th, 2002, 9:51am »

Greater Occipital Nerve Block Technique
The nerve is identified at its point of entry to the scalp, along the superior muchal line midway between the mastoid process and the occipital protuberance (Figure 36.20). The patient will report pain upon compression: the point at which maximal tenderness is elicited can be used as the injection site. The scalp is cleansed with an alcohol swab; 6 mg betamethasone (1 ml) is drawn into a syringe containing 1 ml 2 percent lidocaine. A 25-gauge 5/8-inch needle is used for the block. The needle is directed toward the occiput until bony resistance is felt, thus ensuring that the subarachnoid space is not entered. About 0.6 ml is injected; the type of the needle is then withdrawn to just under the skin and redirected about 5 degrees laterally and then again medially, to deposit about 0.6 ml into each site to ensure a successful block. On completion of the injection, the injected area is massaged and compressed to spread the steroid suspension so that at least some of it bathes the nerve trunk. Hypesthesia should appear within 1 to 2 minutes, extending forward on the scalp to the interaural line.

This block is normally for Head pain that originates in the occipital nerve bundle, i.e. tension headache, and occipital neuralgia, however there is a form of occipital neuralgia that is kinda like Clusters except the cycle only lasts 2 to 36 hours. They are actually classified as Migraines, however sufferer gets one sided eye tearing and heavy-duty pain in orbit region. Occipital neuralgia is usually thought of as a NECK (C-2) nerve root problem. But hey, if it works for you....GREAT

By the way, I live right outside of Philly too. Are you getting these done in Burlington, N.J.. I know they do these procedures often there. Also in Lower Bucks Hospital, in Bristol. Pa.

Hope the surgery goes great, though, and Good Luck!!!
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2002, 10:45am by Marshall_D » IP Logged
Boerhaave

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 18th, 2002, 10:44am »

Hi, thanks for the info. But are you talking about cluster headache or another type of headache.  
Cervicogenic headache and tension type headache could be treated with this type of occipital nerve blocks. Is there any reference to a known article or study of this type of treatment.

Emile
IP Logged
Marshall_D

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 18th, 2002, 10:51am »

...I have had several Occipital Nerve Blocks, due to the fact I also have a severe neck issue. And the Doctor had discussed that these blocks would not have any effect on Cluster's since they're not thought of as traveling through the Occipital Nerve. And of course, they had no effect on my Cluster's, however they gave me a few months relief from the Tension Headaches I was getting from the Neck problem.

I would use a search engine, (I use Google), and look through Occipital Nerve Block. There are quite a few text's on the subject...
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2002, 11:06am by Marshall_D » IP Logged
Samiam
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ban910
Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 18th, 2002, 1:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Everyone, I'm waiting to see how Kangakid did with the surg. He was to have it the 16th of this month and wanted to know if he was feeling better.....I'm in remission now for how long I don't know but I think along with the klonopin and the botox, and nevreblocks and Imitrex, they have all helped me get to this point.  I also had Stadol but only had to use it a couple of times...for me Stadol does help but like other have said you have to be very careful not to over use it and it's also hard to fine a Doc that will write a script for it.....I had 2 months of pure hell now the wait to see how long I will be in remission....I hate this game.....your always waiting for the other shoe to drop.....Sami
IP Logged

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #11 on: Sep 18th, 2002, 1:48pm »

Samiam -- I can relate to the "Shoe to Drop" senerio.  Hope you find PFDNs very soon.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 18th, 2002, 1:58pm »

Here's some info on the block:

http://www.pahlow.net/ch/ocb.pdf
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss