Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2024, 4:45pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Botox »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Botox
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Botox  (Read 569 times)
MD_Rick

Email

Botox
« on: Jul 31st, 2002, 9:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello - I am new to Clusterheadaches.com, but I'm not new to cluster headaches. I've had them for almost 5 years. I've tried everything...accupuncture, health foods and herbs, imitrex, verapamil, zomig...the list goes on and on. Lately I've been reading about Botox. Apparently, Botox can eliminate headaches for 3 to 6 months. Has anyone had any experience with Botox or have any insight? I'm willing to give it a try, but before I do I'd like to have some feed back.

Thanks, Rick.
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

Re: Botox
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31st, 2002, 9:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have not tried them yet for chs..but my neuro/pain management doc is going to try them on my TMJ problem..keep me posted if you try them for chs on how they work...smiles,nancyc  ps see the posts below about botox..some other folks here have tried it.
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2002, 9:53pm by nancyc » IP Logged
MD_Rick

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 1st, 2002, 11:24am »

Thanks Nancyc.

I'm very interested in Botox for CH's. A close friend of mine has a friend that had it done for her headaches. She praised it. I've also checked with our insurance and it is 80% covered. That's certainly a plus. But, I'm still checking it out before I decide to do it or not. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.  

Thanks also for pointing out the messages below regarding Botox. When I sent this originally I didn't see that.  Wink
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 1st, 2002, 12:07pm »

A thread on botox has also been started on the General post page...keep your eye on that one too.One thing to keep in mind though about botox...from what my doc says, you have to have it done every few months or so...and he said my insurance (HMO) would cover a large percentage of it but only for a few treatments...you may want to check with your insurance on this...If you are episodic, you are in luck but i am chronic and would need continous treatment....good luck...smiles,nancyc
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2002, 12:11pm by nancyc » IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 1st, 2002, 1:10pm »

Rick,

The search engine of this site returns more than 50 posts to that topic.
How much are you willing to pay a sucker who reads these post and writes a synopsis for your convenience?  ???

Two links you migt follow:
http://www.headachedrugs.com/archives/efficacy_botulinum_toxin.html
http://www.headachedrugs.com/archives/botulinum_toxin_typeb.html
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2002, 4:24pm by Ueli » IP Logged
Rex1028

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 2nd, 2002, 5:15pm »

I'm currently taking Lithium and Depakote.  Recently my ch's have lessoned  in intensity and frequency to the point I wan to get off some of those drugs.  My doc is looking into Botox--first check with HMO.
IP Logged
notseinfeld
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Enough is Enough.        Vote Libertarian

krilldocument  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 3rd, 2002, 2:01pm »

I'm seeing a doctor (1st time in 1 year) this Monday about employing some Botox in the battle. My guess is that he know less than I do about it but I need his 'approval' to proceed. As a chronic sufferer, 3 months of PF living sounds like paradise. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
IP Logged

-----------Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. ---------------------
LauraP

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 1:10pm »

I have checked with our insurance company (PPO) and it covers 80%. Given the fact that it is medical and not cosmetic it is covered for as many times as needed.

My concern is finding a doctor that knows exactly what he/she is doing. Because the slightest slip up and you could be left with a portion of your face drooping - granted it's only temporary, but 3 - 6 months is a long period of time.  Shocked  

Notseinfeld - When are you planning to proceed with Botox? I agree with you. Three months of PF would be absolute paradise.
IP Logged
ScottL

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 10th, 2002, 2:19am »

I have tried Botox with mixed results.  I am a CHer who went chronic several years ago.  After messing with many med, tryptans, and DHE IVs, Dr. Robbins (near Chicago) gave me Botox injections that stopped the CHs cold (so it appeared) and I got by on verapamil for several months.  When the CH reappeared, he tried Myblock (synthetic Botox) with no effect.  He then tried Botox with no effect.  After a recent bad time, he told me that the working dose for Botox was about twice what I had received before.  We decided to try again (ever been desparate?).  I know the Botox can take 5 to 7 days to work, but I have had two CH per day since the injections two days ago.  I am not hopeful.  

One thing that I consider, relates to some articles I have read about medical conditions that appear to be CH, but are primarily other.  For example, one patient was treated for years as a CH sufferer, until an MRI revealed an enlarged muscle associated with movement of his eye.  Dr. Robbins wrote an order for an MRI and I will ask my ENT and an opthamologist he recommended to review the MRI results.  I figure it is worth a look.  Oh, that relates to the Botox in that it may be "working" when the Dr. hits just the right spot for a related area, such as an enlarged muscle or ???

In all, Botox is appealing, becasue the cost can't be more that using multiple tryptans a day and the risk of side effects is nil.  Good luck to anyone trying it.  Please post your results.

...and I really find it ironic and amusing when the Dr. tells me "This might hurt a little bit".  Doesn't he realize that CHers know pain like few others?

Good luck to you all.  DOn't give up or give in.  The preventative/cure may be just around the corner!!!
IP Logged
firebrix
New Board Hall of Famer
New_Zealand 

I must never weaken.

« Reply #9 on: Aug 10th, 2002, 4:16pm »

Thanx Scott!
Most interesting about the eye muscles. Will check that out here too!
Thanx for sharing your experiences.
firebrix
IP Logged

"All that it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke
ScottL

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 10th, 2002, 11:03pm »

The link for the study I referred to regarding misdiagnosis is:
http://library.dialog.com/bluesheets/pdf/bl0796.pdf

Good luck.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss