Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2024, 5:54pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Oxygen »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Oxygen
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Oxygen  (Read 453 times)
barbee

Email

Oxygen
« on: Jul 30th, 2002, 6:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Finally, my Neuro prescribed oxygen.  Guess what?  My HMO says it is not appropriate for Cluster Headaches, and will not approve it, and to go back to my PCP.  Strange, huh?  I am protesting!!!
IP Logged
Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lust Without Remorse! Love Without Regret!

strider_39  
Email

Re: Oxygen
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30th, 2002, 7:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sadly, that doesn't seem strange anymore.  The HEalthcare world is looking for more ways to make money...unfortunately, that means denying almost all but the mandatory treatments a patient requires, regardless the expertise of the Dr.

Slammy   Cool
IP Logged

That's it! Everyone out of the pool!

" Everytime I try to get out, they PULL me back in! "
Ueli

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30th, 2002, 7:59pm »

Barbee,

Ask the bean counters of your HMO why they think to know it better than Bayard T. Horton, who already in 1938 reported about the usefulness of oxygen to abort a CH attack.  
Print out that abstract and rub it under their nose.
(For the link see in your previous post http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1025658277;start=2

PFNADs
Ueli
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31st, 2002, 3:48am »

Also ask the insurance stooges if they'd rather pay for a tank at home or for a visit to the Emergency Room every day?
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
barbee

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 1st, 2002, 12:29am »

Does a whiff of oxygen cost more than daily Imitrex, Zomig, Amerge, etc.?  Those pills are expensive, and we eat them like candy.
IP Logged
Marcos618
New Board Newbie

« Reply #5 on: Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:21am »

If you do get the insurance company to approve it try and get two tanks. I own my outright. I was lucky to get an insurance company to pay for one tank. When my company changed insurance companies I was able to get the other company to pay for the other tank. I think my tank size is called "E". Its aluminum and came with a travel bag with shoulder strap so I can take it with me everywhere and people don't know what is inside. Also check with your insurance company about their appeal process. One step could be your doctor to try and appeal for you and another step could be for you to try and appeal their decission. You might need to prepare for your appeal in terms they understand, NUMBERS. How often would you need to go to the emergency room for Oxygen and how expensive would each trip be for them compared to the cost of a portable tank and refills. My refills cost $18.00 plus tax per tank. I can abort four headaches out of one tank. I have had nights where I had 4 CH's and used one entire tank. That $18.00 was less then the trip to the ER.
IP Logged
Marcos618
New Board Newbie

« Reply #6 on: Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:22am »

If you do get the insurance company to approve it try and get two tanks. I own my outright. I was lucky to get an insurance company to pay for one tank. When my company changed insurance companies I was able to get the other company to pay for the other tank. I think my tank size is called "E". Its aluminum and came with a travel bag with shoulder strap so I can take it with me everywhere and people don't know what is inside. Also check with your insurance company about their appeal process. One step could be your doctor to try and appeal for you and another step could be for you to try and appeal their decission. You might need to prepare for your appeal in terms they understand, NUMBERS. How often would you need to go to the emergency room for Oxygen and how expensive would each trip be for them compared to the cost of a portable tank and refills. My refills cost $18.00 plus tax per tank. I can abort four headaches out of one tank. I have had nights where I had 4 CH's and used one entire tank. That $18.00 was less then the trip to the ER.
IP Logged
Royal

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 2nd, 2002, 8:57pm »

I'm looking for experience in the best results of using an oxygen mask. This is my first post. I have tank in hand and am waiting for take off. I have been an unofficial member for 10 years and have tried several meds. The one that always seemed to work was stadol. Unfortunately it comes with a lot of baggage.
I was convinced by MD to try oxygen, but I am sure he was just guessing on dosage and duration
IP Logged
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 3rd, 2002, 10:16am »

Hey Royal...there is a wealth of info here and many tales of successful use of o2 as an abortive for CH....be sure you have a NON-REBREATHER mask (with the bag) and a regulator capable of up to 15 liters per minute flow..... most of us use a minimum of 8 LPM.... 10-12 is better.....THIS IS CRITICAL for successs with o2....as well as catching the HA EARLY.... if it's a big ole K8-10 before you get on the mask.... you probably won't get much relief.... but o2 is ALL I have used and my big GREEN friend has literally saved my life..... Good Luck and READ READ READ....

best...Steve
IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 11th, 2002, 3:12am »

http://www.polarmed.no/English/Products/prod01i.htm  

go to IMPULSE  

Check out if you can get this travellersuitcase with oxygen in the US.I have 1 of those and 1 big bottle beside my bed,The big one contains 10L  
The suitcase contains 3X1litre and a backpack if you going out under a cycle.  
This is really helping me combined with other meds  

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Royal

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 11th, 2002, 9:04pm »

Smiley Wink Cheesy  
I was approaching the CH, Tank at my side with little confidence the relief would be more than to shave a little of the intensity down. When the usual signs of the monster began to build. I put the mask on, turned on the regulator to 10. The CH progressively began building momentum within minutes. Turned regulator to 12, CH more intense, clicked to 15 and within 12-15 minutes CH subsided and gone. I was amazed!!!!
I could not believe it. I closed my eyes and thanked God and clusterhead.com, because this site is where I got the idea to suggest this treatment to my GP. I have yet to get verification from insurance company of coverage for this treatment.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss