Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2024, 4:25pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « My Tricks after 34 years »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   My Tricks after 34 years
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My Tricks after 34 years  (Read 547 times)
tmyslik

Email

My Tricks after 34 years
« on: Jul 26th, 2002, 2:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm a first time visitor to this site. Glad to be here with the rest of the sufferers. Most of my tricks are probably old hat to you guys but some may not be.
First started at age 20. First doc I saw rx'd valium. It was useless for pain but I took enough to knock me out.  I wonder how close I came to dying a couple of times but could'nt have cared less at the time.
A friend's doctor dad sent me wigraine (ergotamine) and it was very helpful for many years (until it went off the market recently) (Anyone know if will return?)
I stumbled on to O2 (can't remember how) and works very well most of the time. Kaiser provides it at no charge in unlimited quantities thru Apria (in Denver anyway).
I believe that anything that takes blood away from the head is effective. This includes: 1. getting shivering cold ,which I accomplish by jumping into a pool in summer , going outdoors almost naked in winter, taking a cold shower, etc. Although the idea of making yourself even more miserable while having a ch is horrible, you must force yourself to do it knowing that the added misery will soon result in relief and sleep. I find that as soon as I get cold enough to shiver, I am almost there.  I think the reason it works is that the body sends warming blood to your extremities and thus it leaves your head. It works great for me. (although I hate doing it at the time).
Here are a couple of strange ones: 1. getting an erection. (the blood diversion thing again) However this is short lived as once you lose it the pain usually returns but sometimes a few minutes of relief during the peak of pain is welcome . I must admit that achieving an erection during such pain is difficult, but I'm sure you'll agree that ch sufferers can do  super human  feats after  awhile.
2. Having a bowel movement at first sigh of ch. THIS ACTUALLY WORKS. I don't know if it's the strain or the drain but it is unbelievably effective. I imagine that it's taking food away from the beast (I'm sure it's what he must eat).  I know you're asking how I can "shit on command". Answer is that you learn and sometimes you can't but the straining itself helps. Suppository laxatives are helpful, too.
I won't bore you with the common stuff we all know about (pressure to temple or top of head with finger, getting into an out of body state and watching the pain from afar, vomiting, crying, screaming, swearing, etc., etc.
If this info helps one ch sufferer for one minute, I'll feel it was a worthwhile effort.
Best to you all. We are all in it together. We experience and survive something very few do and it makes us stronger for it. If there is any good we can gain from it, this must be it.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2002, 3:08am by tmyslik » IP Logged
notseinfeld
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Enough is Enough.        Vote Libertarian

krilldocument  
WWW Email

Re: My Tricks after 34 years
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26th, 2002, 1:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks for posting---

Haven't tried the 'poop' trick yet !

nots
IP Logged

-----------Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. ---------------------
rick
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #2 on: Jul 26th, 2002, 1:16pm »

Roll Eyes
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26th, 2002, 7:22pm »

Hey Notseinfeld, ya might have some problems with that poop trick if you're taking verapamil.  If it's 'the strain' then it may help.  But if it's 'the drain', ferget about it.
 Grin
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27th, 2002, 3:48am »

tmyslik,
Glad you found many 'tricks' to get you through the pain.
But, one thing you said is not correct. "the body sends warming blood to your extremities and thus it leaves your head"
Wrong.........The body shuts down the extremities as you get cold and colder. The reason is to keep the blood in the body mass to warm it and keep it warm. The arms, legs, fingers, toes, etc release heat like the radiator in a car. The brain is the most important organ in the body and must be kept warm. As the body gets cold the brain will send signals to shut down the extremities to conserve heat.
I know, I'm nit-pickin here. Welcome to the board and thanks for you input.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27th, 2002, 3:00pm »

hey, tmyslik,

Wellcommme!  LOL.  After 25 years, the poop trick is a surprise Shocked  
Thank heaven I'm out of cycle............. ;D
 Grin Wink
Well wishes, Kim
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss