Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2024, 3:25pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapamilus Indigestus »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapamilus Indigestus
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapamilus Indigestus  (Read 306 times)
gtarman

Email

Verapamilus Indigestus
« on: Jul 25th, 2002, 3:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

OK, all you CH-PhD's out there, some advice. I've been on Verapamil for a month, down to a KIP/1, but the stuff's trashing my tummy - reflux getting worse by the day. Do I dare stop (or wean myself off of it)? I'd like to give my digestive system a break, but neither do I wanna dance with the beast - been there, done that, floor marks on head to prove it.
Are you supposed to stay on this stuff indefinately or just untill your cycle winds down? I guess I could always invest in Gaviscon Corp (to the extent that anybody's investing in ANYTHING these days)...
I could ask my doctor, but he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about regarding CH's, and youse guys are the voice of experience...
IP Logged
Tom
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Verapamilus Indigestus
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25th, 2002, 6:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Gtarman,

there was a discussion about the same topic (»reflux«) on the ch.org.uk web site in May of this year. That time I posted there:

Here I'm quoteing parts of only four articles about "verapamil and gastroesophageal reflux", there are a lot more of them in the internet:  

REFLUX GASTRO-OESOPHAGIEN  
Le vérapamil diminue la pression du sphincter inférieur de l'oesophage :  
- Am J Gastroenterol 1984;79:892.  
-----------------------------------------------------------  
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)  
This condition, commonly called "heartburn"...,  
...Minimize or avoid medications that can make heartburn worse:  
Theophylline  
Prostaglandins  
Calcium channel blockers (diltiazem, verapamil)  
Sedatives (benzodiazepines)  
Anticholinergics  
---------------------------  
Medications that lower LES (= Lower Esophageal Sphincter) pressure include:  
...Calcium channel blockers (nifedipine, verapamil)...  
...The valve, called the lower esophageal sphincter (LES)acts like a gate. It opens to let food into the stomach and closes to keep food from escaping.  
However, if your LES does not close tight enough, the contents of the stomach can leak back up into the esophagus causing the symptoms of GERD.  
--------------------------------------------------  
...review any medications that are being prescribed which can cause acid reflux or pain ... heart medications ( e.g., calcium-channel blockers{diltiazem, verapamil})...  
-----------------------------------------------------

I understand very well that you're in the dilemma now whether to take vera or not...I think that you shouldn't stop taking it as long as it's helpful against your CH, but you certainly need a gastroprotective drug along with vera.

One of the strongest such gastroprotective drugs, and very effective in the treatment of the gastroesophageal reflux, is omeprazol - but some British CH sufferers claim that it boosts the CH...may be.

Ranitidine, another strong gastroprotective drug, belongs to a completely different chemical group and negative effects of this substance on CH are not reported.

Both meds have to be prescribed by a MD.

ATB!     Thomas

IP Logged

Thomas/Munich
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 25th, 2002, 6:57pm »

When I was on prednisone therapy it played hell with my stomach.  I was given prilosec to take everyday and it worked wonders.

I don't know any info for using with vera though.

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 25th, 2002, 9:08pm »

They can take my verapamil when they pry it from my cold dead hand...  But then again... I don't get any side effects from verapamil.

PFDAN...................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 25th, 2002, 10:02pm »

Wow.  I didn't know Verapamil makes GERD worse.  I had been taking both Prilosec and Verapamil before I eliminated all meds for the shroom doses.  I was surprised that my acid reflux wasn't so much worse after stopping Prilosec (so maybe Verapamil makes my acid reflux situation worse).  I believe Verapamil also makes me sleepy and lightheaded but it did work better against CH than anything else for me (before shrooms).  Thanks for the info, Tom.
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
gtarman

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26th, 2002, 7:16am »

Thanks for the responses. I pretty much answered my own question by slacking off my vera dosage for the last few days and this morning my head pressure's up substantially. Sigh.
I'm not on any other meds so there's nothing else contributing to the reflux. Guess I'll try the ranitidine or the "little purple pill" (which has to cost a foutune since they gotta pay for all those TV ads). Wish I had a cast-iron stomach like Drk^Angel...
EA, I continue to marvel at the similarity between us - your description of your clusterhead experience almost exactly mirrors mine, except I'm a little behind you in our most recent treatment attempt. How's that going for you, by the way? I should be able to start in a few weeks.
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 26th, 2002, 7:28pm »

Hi gtarman.  I got pretty depressed earlier this week.  I'm pulling myself together and am continuing therapy.  It works great for about 5 or 6 days... then I have to redose.
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
gtarman

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 31st, 2002, 12:35pm »

EA, dude-
I've had a HA for 15 months straight - 5 or 6 days off sounds damn good to me! I guess I'm a chronic now, but haven't had an "icepick" attack since last August. I guess this is "remission" for me, but my head feels like it's gonna blow up any minute now. Haven't even picked up my ax in weeks. Gonna have a bad case of tenderfinger...
Anyway, soon's my crop is in, I'm gonna dose.
Sorry my responses are late, but my home 'puter died and I have to communicate from work...PFDAN
IP Logged
Grafwick

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 31st, 2002, 8:43pm »

Hey gtarman,  

Are you taking prednisone with the verapamil?  That's really tough on the stomach!  Try taking Pepcid; if you've got prescription benefits, get your doc to prescribe the 20mg Pepcid.

Good luck!
IP Logged
ECV_XPBC

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:53am »

1st Timer here - just found this site.  Been saddled with this stuff for 27 years; chronic since '94.  Have run the gamut from getting a 10-day breather, to suicidal 3xdayKIP10's.  Was taking up to 40 cafergot a week with ensuing side effects.  Then went to toxic levels of lithium with cafergot - looked constantly epileptic (no offense to those sufferers).  Started lithium+240mg VeraSR/day with maintainance doses of cafergot about 6 weeks ago.  Not completely successful- constantly shadowed, and still get 2-3 episodes/week in the 5-6 range with whopping 8-9's about once every ten days.
Still better than before: getting rest, focused at work; not terrifying the kids as much.  Have not experienced the stomach problem discussed here but continue to be a walking pharmacy (Don't leave home w/o it) - Been with this shit so long, I'm not certain I remember what "normal" is.
Thanks Rich
IP Logged
gtarman

Email

.e: Verapamilus Indigestus
« Reply #10 on: Aug 2nd, 2002, 1:08pm »

Tried Pred - didn't do much, gave me the jittering willies. I'm taking Ranitidine for the tummy and it's helping, but my head's worse even though I've increased the Vera. Sigh. I, too would like to remember what a pain-free head feels like...it's been 15 months now...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss