Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2024, 4:21pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Horner's Syndrome Question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Horner's Syndrome Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Horner's Syndrome Question  (Read 1318 times)
Jazsaunt

Email

Horner's Syndrome Question
« on: Jul 22nd, 2002, 6:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi All.  Bill has a few questions, and was wondering if any of you could answer them or at least send some comments.
1. Does this damn Horner's syndrome ever go away?  Smiley  
2. When a cluster cycle is going away, do they kind of end the way it started?

Today he is complaining of his eye being soar.  He isn't sure if this is due to the horner's syndrome, or due to his cycle.  He says that his eye feels like it did when this first started.  He isn't having any bad clusters, but around 2:00 am at work he has headaches that are mostly in his eye....shadows I'm guessing.  He's in his 5th week, and praying for it to end.

Any info. will be appreciated.  Make him feel better anyway.  Thanks.
         Bill & Michelle
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

Re: Horner's Syndrome Question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24th, 2002, 12:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Michelle.....I've suffered with CH for over 22 years.  My Mom has suffered with Horner's for many years.  In addtion her headaches have been recently diagnosed as a "cluster vairant" (not exaclty sure if that means a yes or no).  She suffers terribly with pain, headaches, soreness in head and eye, etc.  I'll pass this thread along to her and see if she has any information to offer your hubby.

Hope he's feeling a little better - you are both in my prayers....

NotH20
IP Logged
justin
New Board Veteran
USA 

what it is...

jdo201
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 24th, 2002, 1:42pm »

hmmm...
pretty sure i only had horner's when i was over medicated with a steroid called dexamethasone. weird. but it went away when i stopped the meds. hope you feel better
jd
IP Logged

if any clusterheads in NYC want to get together shoot me an email justinott@mac.com
Tom
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 24th, 2002, 4:32pm »

It seems that the Horner's Syndrome is mentioned here too often in a wrong way - it's a strictly defined neurologic symptom and a triad containing:

- droop eyelid (ptosis)

- narrow pupil (miosis) and

- eyeball sunken into the socket (enophthalmus)

Some authors add a fourth phenomenon seen many times along with the others, a red eye caused by wide blood vessels - but any kind of pain or a sore eye don't belong to the definition of the Horner's Syndrome.

ATB !     Thomas
IP Logged

Thomas/Munich
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 24th, 2002, 7:19pm »

Hi Jazsaunt.  During the peak of my cycle my left eye will twitch and burn (sometimes for a month).  I also get watery eye and some redness.  When I get CH attacks they are focused in and around my left eye.  After the big attacks and during strong shadows, my eye feels sore.  Tom knows way more than me about medical stuff and makes excellent contributions to this message board, so he can give you the scoop about the true definition of Horners Syndrome.
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
ltltnt

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25th, 2002, 8:29am »

I hope your family member is doing better and I will keep them in my prayers, I have been chronic now for the better part of  3 1/2 years do not know if this has anything to do with it but my left eye is at half mast at all times whether I have a headache or not. I think it would be obvious to say that if I do get a CH now my eye not only droops and tears it looks virtually closed and that is how my friends and family are able to tell how bad I am doing. I might add that when there is no pain present and my eye is at half mast it is only unattractive but has no other effects.
PPP
Sheryl
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 25th, 2002, 11:08am »

Tom gave an excellent response here, gang.  Horner's Syndrome is just the eye thing, no pain associated.  I call it 'cluster eye' and yes, sometimes it hangs around long after a cycle has ended.   And, yes, it's possible to become permanent.  

My husband has been out of cycle for a few months now and he is still going through the cluster eye thing and 'silent attacks'.  His pupil will constrict for the length of what a normal cluster attack would be for him (say 45 minutes) then revert back to normal, with no pain.  

These silent attacks have been documented - a couple of summers ago, we had an article posted here about it.  

As a supporter, eyes are the first thing I check when I see a clusterhead - even in pictures.  I can tell right away if there's 'cluster activity' present and be able to determine which side the attacks hit.  I think that's one of the scariest things for a supporter to see, actually - we KNOW it means the Beast is still just hanging around.  Sad

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Cin

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 1st, 2002, 7:21am »

I'm glad I stopped and read this post.  My eye droops still after being over my cycle for 4 mos.  I really wish it would go away.  I told my hubby the other day this really upsets me. I don't look like I used to.  I really noticed it in a picture that I took to send over email.  I sure hope it goes away.

Take care,
Cin
IP Logged
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 6th, 2002, 9:05pm »

I'm chronic and even medicated with no pain my eye lid droops and twitches.  It comes and goes.

The interesting thing is that it is always the right eye.  My clusters are usually on the right side, but sometimes are on the left.

Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss