Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 6:47am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « detox and cut out wheat worked for me »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   detox and cut out wheat worked for me
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: detox and cut out wheat worked for me  (Read 1004 times)
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

detox and cut out wheat worked for me
« on: Jul 22nd, 2002, 8:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Its ages since I posted here and I feel it is time to share my experience of a detox progam that worked for me.

Back in April whan i was desperate I was advised to try this after months of pain and depression and huge meds cost for imitrex, prednisone etc which brought only short relief I hit on the following:

I started drinking at least 2 litres of water every day (where have I heard this before?) and have done so ever since. You soon get used to it and eventually you are able to go for hours without needing to pee!

I ate only fruit and veg for first 3 days then added some fish and chicken, but only ate very light. No coffee, no alchohol, no wheat products. Only other drinks were fruit juices. I followed through with a month of this and lost some weight and felt more energetic.

After 2 days my headaches stopped completely. May be just luck and my cycle ended. Since then I have just about stopped eating wheat products. I now eat mainly stir fry Thai/Chinese style.

I have not had to take even one aspirin since then and I normally am very prone to headaches (Cluster, Migraine, Tension, you name it)

Since I started this new eating pattern I have been reading up on wheat and gluten problems for people with certain blood groups (Type O) and it appears that over time the wheat glutens may build up in the body being unable to rid itself of toxins. Result - headaches!

I am sure to get flamed by many for this post, but I would love for someone to try this. It costs nothing and has changed my life. The last 10 weeks or so have been the most stress and pain free for as long as I can remember.

Love J
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Ueli

Email

Re: detox and cut out wheat worked for me
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Congratulations jmorgan52, for having vanquished clusters.

I'm a bit puzzled by the strange properties of these glutens.

Quote:

....it appears that over time the wheat glutens may build up in the body being unable to rid itself of toxins....
Obviously a long term poison.

Quote:

After 2 days my headaches stopped completely.
That is a real short time for your wonder diet to get effective.   Roll Eyes

Or could it be that the end of your clusters by pure chance coincided with the start of your diet?   ???

Such "correlations" are fondly picked out by snake oil salesmen and presented as a "proof" for the effectiveness of their product (and of course, they hide all failures). A web search on 'wheat gluten' gives a few thousand hits, but mainly form sites that try to peddle their dubios food additives or expensive wheat substitutes. Coincidence?
During this search I found that the glutens not only cause headaches, but such severe maladies as schizophrenia and multiple sclerosis. Or at least that is what some crooks allege, in order to get the last dollar for their miracle cure out of desperate people.

But there could be another cause for the disappearance of your CH attacks: You not only omitted coffee and wheat products, but alcohol too.

???  Does anybody know about a connection between alcohol and cluster headaches?  ???

Enjoy your CH free time, whatever the reason.

Ueli
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:30pm »

Ueli, while I agree with you that a remission after two days is close to miraculous for ANY treatment, this detox is basically the candida treatment plan.  I've done extensive studies about candida overgrowth and its involvement with clusters, and I sure can't prove that it's NOT a factor in perpetuating cluster pain.  Alcohol sensitivity is the biggest commonality and the first thing to be removed in treating candida.  

Granted, it could very well be that this cluster cycle was on its way out anyways and this detox just pushed it along.  I've seen that happen before - especially with the water treatment.  No great surprise there - just that final kick out the door.

The stumbling block I have with the candida theory is for episodic cluster sufferers.  Candida is not episodic - it's a gradual and very slow growing but constantly present thing.  I can list of a myriad of symptoms candida is responsible for and those symptoms (in clusterheads) do seem to disappear when they are out of cycle.  But they come back, with a vengeance, when they aren't.    I'm thinking that for SURE candida doesn't cause clusters...but if an overgrowth is present, it exacerbates everything.  

So, maybe the candida IS cyclical to some extent, I dunno.  I know we've heard here that quite a few folks crave certain foods before they go into cycle - Pinky craves chocolate, for example - some of the drinkers in the audience tend to drink a little more just before a cycle starts.  Candida is a monster for instigating sugar cravings, because it needs the sugar to breed.  So, by satisfying those cravings, the yeast grows and a cycle triggers because the system becomes out of balance?  And, through the cycle, those cravings then diminish (or actually become attack triggers?) Once the cycle has run its natural course, and the bad foods have been eliminated because the body stops craving them, candida goes back to an acceptable level (everyone has some candida in their system!) and status quo remains until the next time candida needs to grow?  And could THAT need be triggered by hormonal flux that originates in the irregular hypothalmus?  Hmm...BUT...then, why aren't all candida sufferers clusterheads?  So many questions...

Ueli, you KNOW I respect your knowledge and the time you've spent studying clusters.  No dispute there.  But we do have to allow for some 'outside the box' thinking too.  Flash is another one that followed this theory and treated himself for candida that, I believe, noticed a difference in his cluster pain.

Some real interesting stuff in the archives from Dr. Paul Kwo about candida research -   he was a medical doctor who believed he cured himself of clusters by treating his candida overgrowth.

Food for thought anyways.  Sugar-free, yeast/gluten-free food that is.  Wink

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:44pm by Margi » IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Ueli

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 22nd, 2002, 1:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Margi,

I know how fond you are of the Candida theory.   Wink

But to starve off the Candida you have to abstain from all carbohydrates.  These yeasts don't bother wether their nourishment comes from bread and pasta or from fruit, fruit juice and rice.

To combat Candida (and maybe CH):  
Sugar free: Yes, but then avoid all carbohydrates, not just wheat products.
Yeast free: Questionable, 'good' yeasts (like Saccaromyces cerevisiae ;D) will compete with the Candida by squatting some of their territory in the guts.  
Gluten free: Only for the few allergic to this stuff. I wager my cluster headaches against a hangover, there is no connection at all between gluten and Candida or gluten and CH.

PFNADs
Ueli
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 22nd, 2002, 3:09pm »

But Ueli....candida causes all TYPES of sensistivities to certain types of foods.  That's documented.  Who's to say that candida didn't cause JMorgan's sensistivity to gluten?

Conversely, though - who's further to say that stopping the alcohol and perhaps other sugars didn't bring the candida down to a more manageable level that, in turn, kick the clusterbeast on its ass.  

Right???   Shocked

And, hey - thanks for not coming right out and calling me an idiot, Ueli.  Wink
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #5 on: Jul 23rd, 2002, 2:55am »

My limited understanding is that some people are totally allergic to wheat and gluten and get sick rapidly if they eat it. Others (with blood group O?) may be slightly intolerant and over time the gluten build up causes various minor health problems.

I have daily eaten breakfast cereals, bread, pasta, etc all my life and since childhood have suffered from terrible headaches variously diagnosed as migraine, tension, stress, "lead swinging" and more recently CH.

I rarely go for more than a month without some sort of headache. Some nasty, some not. I have episodic CH every year or so which lasts for several months, then it is replaced by the occasional headache as stated.

Since end of April I have radically cut down on wheat products, not totally excluded as there are times when it is difficult to avoid, but I reckon I eat less than 10% of the wheat I ate before. I drink only 2 coffees or tea a day. Water is now a big part of my life. I drank very little water before. I am not a big alchohol drinker and avoid it like the plague when I have clusters as just one drink will start a HA within about 20 mins or so.

I agree it may just be co-incidence that the HA stopped after 2 days and my cycle was die to end, but be that as it may, my last few months of TOTALLY HA free is a big change for me. I am very happy with this new eating plan (not a diet!) and am discovering new tastes every day. I know it may be years before I have conclusive proof that this works but I am going to try and stick with it. I hope others are prepared to try it if only for a few days to see if they get relief.

Love J
IP Logged

JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #6 on: Jul 23rd, 2002, 3:09am »

My limited understanding is that some people are totally allergic to wheat and gluten and get sick rapidly if they eat it. Others (with blood group O?) may be slightly intolerant and over time the gluten build up causes various minor health problems.

I have daily eaten breakfast cereals, bread, pasta, etc all my life and since childhood have suffered from terrible headaches variously diagnosed as migraine, tension, stress, "lead swinging" and more recently CH.

I rarely go for more than a month without some sort of headache. Some nasty, some not. I have episodic CH every year or so which lasts for several months, then it is replaced by the occasional headache as stated.

Since end of April I have radically cut down on wheat products, not totally excluded as there are times when it is difficult to avoid, but I reckon I eat less than 10% of the wheat I ate before. I drink only 2 coffees or tea a day. Water is now a big part of my life. I drank very little water before. I am not a big alchohol drinker and avoid it like the plague when I have clusters as just one drink will start a HA within about 20 mins or so.

I agree it may just be co-incidence that the HA stopped after 2 days and my cycle was die to end, but be that as it may, my last few months of TOTALLY HA free is a big change for me. I am very happy with this new eating plan (not a diet!) and am discovering new tastes every day. I know it may be years before I have conclusive proof that this works but I am going to try and stick with it. I hope others are prepared to try it if only for a few days to see if they get relief.

Love J
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss