Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 6:39am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Breaking through prednisone »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Breaking through prednisone
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Breaking through prednisone  (Read 337 times)
kari
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Breaking through prednisone
« on: Jul 19th, 2002, 1:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone here had the experience of breaking through a course of prednisone with another Ch attack?
Does this happen a lot?
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Breaking through prednisone
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19th, 2002, 8:03pm »

Hi Kari.  From what I've read here, it seems like prednisone is usually good only for a holiday from CH.  For many people the CH returns once the prednisone is tapered below a certain amount, but for some people it can end a cycle.  It is not healthy to stay on prednisone for extended periods of time.  Personally, I refuse to take prednisone because I know it's only a temporary help and because it does really bad things to me.  Prednisone scares the hell outta me.

IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
maria

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19th, 2002, 10:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hi Kari, Prednisone did not work for me, turned my 30 min. HA into a 2 hour HA. But that was years ago maybe I wasn't on the right dose.  Maria
IP Logged
justin
New Board Veteran
USA 

what it is...

jdo201
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19th, 2002, 11:54pm »

i've had bad experiences with steriods but have learned how they should be used. sort of. i think. lol

if you know that a certain profylaxis (shit i can't spell) drug works for you but it takes , oh say, two weeks to get in your system, like verapamil does, then you can take prednisone for two weeks when your cycle starts until the prednisone kicks in.  

anyone want to argue that logic?

anyway. i tried a high high does of dexamethasone to try to shock out of a cycle. NOT A GOOD IDEA! don't do this! horrible side effects. email me if you want more info. ugh!  

also if you're going to use prednisone start realy realy low. i'm really sensitive. i think the normal does is like 60 mg a day for cluster. i use like 30mg! and am fine!

peace
IP Logged

if any clusterheads in NYC want to get together shoot me an email justinott@mac.com
sue-bee

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20th, 2002, 7:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have been taking prednisone for 8 days now.  I started with 50 mg for 4 days, then 40 mgs for 3.  I'll be tapering down further starting today.  It stopped my CH for 3 days totally, then I had one on Monday, then one on Wednesday, and a minor one on Friday.  It certainly has lessened them.  I don't know if it will continue.  One thing it has definitely done for me is given me a repreive.  I was really in the depths of this episode and was emotionally very down (I cried for 20 minutes straight at the start of my neurologist's appointment last week).  So regardless of whether it totally wipes out my cycle, it's allowed me to be "normal" for the past eight days and not focus exclusively on headaches.  Why I still get ANY CH while on prednisone I don't know.  I've never really gotten a good answer as to why prednisone works on them at all.  

Hope this helps.
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:33am »

Hey Kari - I use Prednisone for a "holiday" - start off on about 60 mgs per day and work my way down over a period of 10-14 days.  It will usually work for me within 24 hours after my first dose.  When I get down to 20 mgs per day, the ch's return without fail.  One time - when I first started using the Pred it actually aborted an entire cycle   Shocked  but that has been the only time....

I strongly urge you to read as much as you can on this medication - it's extremely harmful if taken the wrong way or too much.  There are many side effects of long-term use.

Good luck to you,
NotH20
IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 24th, 2002, 5:00pm »

Verapamil Retard 120mgX5-7/daily during cycle  
Oxygene alone at 10ltm for 15 minutes or combined with imitrex-shots does miracles.The shots should start working in 6-9minutes.a few secons after that you are almost painfree  
Prednisolone in high doze for 10 days 80mg  
then over a 3 weeks periode step down like 60-40-30-20-10-5mg /daily  

This is the miraclecure for me,but i`m not a doc.just another clusterhead from Norway  

Take care my friend  

Your Friend Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss