Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2024, 4:04pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « DHEA »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   DHEA
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: DHEA  (Read 422 times)
kaos

Email

DHEA
« on: Jul 19th, 2002, 9:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Greetings! Just wondered if anyone has experienced bad reactions to DHEA ?
It was prescribed because prednisone apparently affects production of DHEA and our GP thought it might help. It sure didn't seem to! Within 3 hrs headaches started and occurred at 2 -3 hourly intervals throughout the day and until night. Intense and more frequent the Imitrex working for only 2 - 3 hours,where it usually gives 4-6 hours relief. Mopar's stopped taking it anyway - don't want another day like that one! Sure used up the Imitrex! Roll Eyes

We'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar results.
Cheers and happy daze
Kaos[color=Purple][/color]

IP Logged
Jaybee

Email

Re: DHEA
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30th, 2002, 8:04pm »

I think DHEA is a trigger for me.  I tried it as I thought a boost in some of the hormones that are anti-inflammitory, but no relief, probably things got worse.

I have had better results with melatonin, though like most things cluster, there is no silver bullet.  I use time released melatonin, and usually get some pain-free sleep.
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30th, 2002, 8:18pm »

..... which shows once more that these wellness fad nutritional additives are not always just useless, sometimes they are outright harmful.   Sad   Angry   Cry
IP Logged
Jaybee

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31st, 2002, 6:18am »

Both DHEA and melatonin are hormones. Like cortisone or other hormones, they can do good if used properly, or harm if used improperly. The fact that they are available as 'food supplements' and the fact that doctors don't have them on their list of things to prescribe are accidents of the American political process.  Americans are free to use them, but they have to think for themselves.    

DHEA probably increases testosterone in males over 30 years of age... and cluster headaches favor men over women (5:1).   Easy to see how DHEA might be bad for clusters.  

Melatonin is involved in circadian rythms, which are pretty messed up in most cluster heads. Melatonin is made from serotonin, another thing that is usually messed up (very low/limiting melatonin production) in cluster heads. Taking melatonin tablets can help reset the daily rythms if taken in the evening.    

Belief Group 1: Food supplements are inherently safe and effective.  Belief Group 2: Food supplements have no effects, but do have side effects.  

The truth is out there.  But not in the camps of the true believers.

IP Logged
firebrix
New Board Hall of Famer
New_Zealand 

I must never weaken.

« Reply #4 on: Aug 3rd, 2002, 5:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, thanx guys. Cheesy Wink ;D  

Appreciate your input. DHEA is not a success story.  
Interesting what you came up with - we do agree with you Ueli, but our doc suggested it might help - we do not just grab alleged treatments and gulp them willy nilly!

Touched that you put so much thought into this Jaybee!

Wishing you PFDAN peace and joy
firebrix ex kaos
IP Logged

"All that it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke
JonB

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 3rd, 2002, 7:01pm »

DHE or DHEA?
IP Logged
firebrix
New Board Hall of Famer
New_Zealand 

I must never weaken.

« Reply #6 on: Aug 3rd, 2002, 10:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Definitely DHEA. Dehydroeplandrosterone to give it it's full mouthful.
Different from DHE.
Thanx guys
firebrix
IP Logged

"All that it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss