Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 6:43am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex questions »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex questions  (Read 404 times)
Dieselman

Email

Imitrex questions
« on: Jul 18th, 2002, 9:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I would like to know from anyone taking the Imitrex pills what dosage you are using.  My new insurance won't pay for my injections any more, but will pay for pills.

As a side note has anyone tried getting a vile of the Imitrex and doing their own lower dose injections (similar to the q-tip method only the "right" way) ?

Thanks to everyone for being here, from a newby on the board but a 15+ year veterine of CH.
IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

Re: Imitrex questions
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19th, 2002, 6:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I`m so sorry to hear that you lost the imitrex-shots.Thats the best medication so far and it works within 6-9 minutes.
Imitrex-tabs dont work almost before the attack is over.
aproxomantly 20-30 minutes.
I think thats a tragedy for you my friend

Your friend in Norway    Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Ann
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Annage

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19th, 2002, 7:35am »

I can't believe that your insurance has decided to stop paying for the injections.  What's up with that?  It makes no sense.  Can't your Doc help you set them straight?  Like Svenn said, the tabs take longer to take effect...you will curse your insurance company!!  What a pathetic world we live in!!

As far as the vials are concerned...they are not available here in my neck of the woods. (Quebec, Canada)  I talked to my neuro about them this winter and he said that we couldn't get them here because Health Canada thinks we will commit suicide using them!  I was flabbergasted!  I compared imitrex to insulin with him, some people commit suicide with insulin but they still have access to vials..it's what keeps them alive for god's sake.  Anyhow..if you can get them go for it!  It's cheaper in the end I think.

(sorry for the rant...I'm just a little blown away!)
hugs
Ann
IP Logged
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19th, 2002, 8:43am »

Sorry bout the lack of injections dieselman Sad

I use vials.  The vials come in a 5 pack of them.  I can use .2cc at a time with great relief.  Each vial, I can kill 3 headaches on.
Good luck with everything,
Mast
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
bdalton20

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19th, 2002, 2:44pm »

I have been using imitrex nasal's for about 6 years now. Now my new insurance says they will only cover 6 doses a month. I was shocked. If anyone has some advise, I would really appraciate it. Undecided
IP Logged
Plagued_in_SF

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 19th, 2002, 6:46pm »

I'm about to go blastic about these *%(&($ insurance companies that restrict imitrex  and wish they would experience a CH kip 9-10...I bet their guidelines would change!  

I do take some pleasure in maximizing my imitrex by taking only 1/2 of a shot per CH - for those of you doing the same, be sure to store the remaining dosage in a safe, cool place and swab the 'entry' area with alcohol before you inject again.

wishing us all a pain-free life...
IP Logged
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 19th, 2002, 7:31pm »

bdalton20, look to the left on the ouch site and click on medications.  A phone # to call for help with insuance should be on the left. Keep scrolling down.   Paul B.
IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 19th, 2002, 10:16pm »

I got the following info from the National Headache Foundation in the US for gettin' help gettin' you insurance to pay for prescriptions for Imitrex...

GLAXOSMITHKLINE  Amerge Imitrex 1-800-722-9294 Healthcare professionals 8-8 EST

Your doc has to call them to get you the meds you need, and they'll help...

PFDAN...................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged
Dieselman

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 20th, 2002, 9:47pm »

Thank you everyone for the replys!!

My prescrip coverage (new insurance) doesn't cover injections of any sort, have to use the regular med insurance ($1000 deductable, OW!) .  Angry  

I have been lucky enough now to have had 3 pfd's.  Went back to Verap. 360mg instead of depakote.  The dep only mande me jittery and sleepless!

If the Imitrex pills don't work for me I am definately going to the viles.  My pharmasist was nice enough to order a box to show me how they are packaged, and agreed that "short" dosing would be okay.

I've sandbagged here for a long time but thhis was my first posting.  thanks for making me feel welcome. Smiley

Larry the Dieselman
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 24th, 2002, 1:23pm »

Hey Larry - hope by now you are feeling a bit better.  CH's and insurance companies are just about equal in the amount of pain the each give us!!!   Angry

As for the dosage on the Imitrex pills - I have to take 100 mgs in order to find any relief and that usually takes approx 20 mins.  The 50 mg pills did nothing for the headache.

I don't use the vials, but I do use the older type of injection - not the stat dose.  The older types actually come in a tube and you can take the entire injection out with ease.  I haven't had to try the lower dosage yet, but will during my next cycle.  Thank goodness I haven't had to use one since early January!   Cheesy

The best of luck to you and your insurance.....

NotH20
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss