Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 6:36am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Bill's Amerge & Lithium »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Bill's Amerge & Lithium
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bill's Amerge & Lithium  (Read 244 times)
Jazsaunt

Email

Bill's Amerge & Lithium
« on: Jul 17th, 2002, 9:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi all!  First of all let me express how good it feels to be here.  Being able to talk and read about others who are going through the same thing really makes a difference.  

As some of you know my husband is new to cluster headaches.  He was given Amerge as opposed to immitrex recently.  The neurologist said that it lasts longer than immitrex and may help him with the "shadows" that he has been having at night.  Has anybody ever heard of it or have any info. they would like to share on it?

Also Bill (husband) goes back to have his lithium increased Friday.  He is currently taking 300 mg.  Not sure what they will increase it to, but he is a little scared it will really make him feel drugged.  The first night on lithium made him feel like he was floating or walking on an air mattress.  Shocked Do you think this will happen again or maybe even worse?

Any info. or comments you have would be appreciated.  Hope this finds you all on the road to wellness.

Bill & Michelle
IP Logged
Chronic
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Bill's Amerge & Lithium
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18th, 2002, 12:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey Bill & Michelle,

I have used both medications extensively.

Amerge - Usually used as an abortive for migraine headaches because it is taken in pill form (takes about a 1/2 hour to hour to kick in).  However, because it is long lasting (6-8 hours), it can be prescibed as a preventative.  If you take it an hour or two before you normally get an attack, it should prevent it.  My Neuro prescribed it for me (took half a pill in the morning and half at night) and it reduced the number of headaches I got......but it didn't stop them completely.  Also, insurance companies only pay for a limited amount in a certain period, usually much less than you need.  Imitrex is still much more effective for me.

Lithium - I have been on and off this med for the past 10 years.  It works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.  Right now I'm in a "it doesn't" cycle.  The "woozy" side effects usually go away after your body gets used to the medication.  However, that is only my experience.  Please remember, Lithium is like poison to your body, its use has to be monitored closely.  It has been very effective for me at times in the past, but you should probably get your blood tested if you stay on it for a long period of time.....or at high doses.

You may want to try Neurontin or Verapamil if the lithium is too much.  I have found these to be easier to handle.  However, almost every drug used for our "problem" has side effects.  Most are much easier to handle than the headaches they prevent.

PFDAN
IP Logged
Jazsaunt

Email

Re: Bill's Amerge & Lithium
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18th, 2002, 4:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks for your reply.  Bill is actually on verapamil, prednisone, and lithium.  The Lithium and amerge are new.  After taking 300 mg. of lithium he was able to sleep through the day without waking up.  He still shadows at night, which is why I'm guessing they are going to raise the dose tomorrow.  I'll be sure to let Bill know about taking it before it hits.  He has been on a pretty regular schedule with the shadows at work, so that may be a good idea.  I found that the immitrex is the same way with the insurance...only want to pay for so many.  I'll have him try the halves and see if that works also.  

I think the neurologist plans to keep Bill on lithium for a few weeks and then try weening him off and see what happens.  He is only on 300 mg. now, so they will probably only go to 600 mg. if that.  I know what you mean about poison.  He has been drinking a lot of water.  They say that it can concentrate in your body and poison you if you don't drink enough.

Thanks again for the info.

Bill & Michelle
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss