Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 7:07am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Not Just Sudafed »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Not Just Sudafed
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Not Just Sudafed  (Read 322 times)
celtspirit
New Board Newbie
USA 

Gettin' Really Ripped!!!!!

92292159 92292159   celtspirit  
Email

Not Just Sudafed
« on: Jul 17th, 2002, 1:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm glad someone brought up the subject of sudafed, I have been meaning to post my little abortive formula, but hadn't gotten 'round to it yet.

My first round of CH 2 years ago, the pre-med student disguised as a doctor working in the ER diagnosed me as having a serious sinus infection. Follow up visit to the family quack-titioner confirmed diagnosis, scheduled me to have holes drilled in me head. (like the ones I already have aren't sufficient!!!)  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes
Antibiotics to clear infection up for surgery, and all that crap.  Angry  Angry  Angry
Classical cluster trait of nasal congestion during the haedache. Ibuprofen and Actifed cleared it up, including headache, in about 20-25 minutes.
My cycle ended befor they could drill extra holes, so I cancelled surgery. Hell, why not, I was cured, right?? Didn't know squat about anything to do with CH.
About a year later, the beast came to visit again, this time I had a new doc, one that had actually heard of CH and put me on prednisone and nasacort to abort the cycle, but nothing to abort the CH itself. I remembered taking the IBU and Actifed the last time, so i tried it again.
In short, here's my abortive coctail-
When I feel the shadow lurking around at 2 or more, 800-1200 mg of Ibuprofen and an Actifed tablet with a FULL glass of water. Works about 80 % of the time to abort the CH within 20-25 minutes. Occasionally, most speciffically during night attacks where I'm tossed out of my nice warm bed, repeating the dose 45 minutes later is necessary because the first dose only dropped me 2-3 kip levels. (my nocturnal CH tend to run 9-10, dropping only 2 or 3 levels is good, but I ain't gettin back to sleep with a 6 or 7 still bouncin round in the ole cranium!!)
There have only been a few attacks this cycle where my coctail didn't work, and they were night-time 10s.
Taking that much ibuprofen 4,5 even up to 10 times in a day probably isn't all that great for my Swiss-Cheese liver, or my gastro-intestinal system, but it sure beats the hell out of bashing my head into objects more solid than my skull, or takin' the 'gun-powder cure' and it's a damn sight less expensive than some of the other stuff clusterheads use to abort, or prevent, not to mention some of the side-effects and health problems those might have.
In no way am I recommending this is the right thing for anyone else to do since I am aware of the liver damage it can cause, but if it keeps someone from biting a bullet or caving their skull in with a hammer, I'll be happy knowing that a fellow clusterhead survived another dance with the beast.  

Hope Ya'all can have a PFDAN real soon, I know I want one!!!
IP Logged

Oh! I'm sorry! When we were first introduced, I forgot to mention that I am an arrogant, opinionated ass-hole, but I do thank you for noticing!!
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

Re: Not Just Sudafed
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18th, 2002, 6:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Celt,

I too have found that pseudoephedrine and naproxen sodium will ease my headaches.
I buy the generic brand extra strength sudafed without the tylenol in it, and the generic Alleve (same as ibuprofen but a bit more potent).  While I'm in cycle I take 2 alleve (naproxen sodium) every morning and every evening.  That's alot of it, but that is what one neuro recommended for me, and it controls the cycle if not the actual attacks.

As for swiss cheese liver, I've been known to have no means of aborting an attack and go through a bottle of 100 T 1's (they are over the counter in Canada - 8mg codeine per tab) in 4 days.  So I imagine my liver and kidneys won't be of any use for donations when I finally bite the bullet.
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss