Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 7:09am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Permanent Verapamil »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Permanent Verapamil
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Permanent Verapamil  (Read 318 times)
tzeller

Email

Permanent Verapamil
« on: Jul 14th, 2002, 8:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've been very lucky in that the standard battery of treatments for cluster headache has usually worked to control a bout. And by standard battery, I mean this:

1) Large doses of prednisone at outset, to knock out the headaches immediately (this really works).  

2) Simultaneous daily dose of 240mg of Verapamil

3) Taper off prednisone over 2 weeks while continuing Verapamil - now built up in the system - for a month and a half or so, or until I think I'm in the clear and the cluster period is over.  

I wonder, though, if it wouldn't make sense to just stay on Verapamil permanently. I recently met a fellow cluster sufferer whose headaches seemed to disappear when he hit his mid-40s (he's in his mid-50s now). He attributes it to age, in that some people have been shown to "grow out of" cluster headaches. But he also mentioned that he's been taking calcium channel blockers every day since that time!  I was floored.  

Anyone know if this is common? I had always thought of verapamil as a temporary treatment, to be used until the bout was over, but if it works for the bout, why not just stay on it and prevent future bouts altogether? Are there major side-effects? Anyone doing this?  

Best to all and may you find your way to relief.
IP Logged
Marijke
New Board Junior
Belgium 

Nice board!

WWW Email

Re: Permanent Verapamil
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14th, 2002, 8:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

tzeller,

Yes, I have heard more ppl saying that CH can get less the older you get.  

There is one thing you should consider, when you take verapamil for a longer period: it can stop working, and then you will need at least a 3 month period for it to start working again. If prednisone helps to stop attacks pretty soon, I would not take the stuff continuously. Why take it when you don't need it?

Marijke
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 14th, 2002, 3:13pm »

I started Verapamil 6 years ago, with great success. On the recommendation of my neuro I continued Verapamil after the bout had ended, reducing the dose to about 2/3 to 1/2.  

Big advantage: At the beginning of the next bout, going back to the full dose, the preventive effect was reached again in 2 or 3 day. I never had to take the poisonous Prednisone.

I don't believe in Verapamil losing its effectiveness by prolonged use, and I can't imagine a way why this should happen.

PFNADs
Ueli
IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 14th, 2002, 3:57pm »

I use Verapamil Retard 120mg 1/day every day
When i`m in cycle i`m up to 5X120mg a day
Its does miracles for me.
Imitrex is Gods gift to mankind when its come down to kill the pain
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Marc
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 15th, 2002, 10:36pm »

I've been on Verapamil at 360-540mg everyday for almost 2 years.  I'm not pain free, but compared to before ........ I can handle the "break-throughs" with ease!

Once in while, I try to taper down to 240mg but I get "hit" bad.  I have NO intention of giving up my friend Verapamil.

IP Logged
rick
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16th, 2002, 2:07am »

All y'all,

It's great to hear of a drug actually working for once.  I pray you all have continued success.

PFDAN to all,

-Rick

IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 16th, 2002, 10:26am »

Another on the Verapamil bandwagon.  Don't know about the "gets better with age" - - - I'm 55 an (only?) battling the beast since 1/01 - - - I'm one of the 15-17% whose CH's seemed to start as the result of head injury.  When came here in late  Feb., was having 6-8 attacks per day, KIP 5-9, EVERYDAY !  Took info from this site to my (skeptical) doc, and  got script for Verapamil (120mg) and 02.  Increased Verap to 180, then 240 at which time CHs  all but stopped - - - when they started increasing intensity/duration again last month, I wanted to go up another 60 mg.  Doc says they don't make it in 300mg, so he prescribed Verelan 360.  Mostly pain free this last month, with maybe a dozen KIP 3-4 and a couple or three shadows a day I knock out with the 02 - -  "hit" it a little while ago - - - 02, wunnerful 02
   Question..........Just called my (new) doc's office to request script for Verapamil 240 &180 - - -  Chs have been getting "regular" again (almost every night) and I  need an increase.  Scripts for both the Verap 240 AND 180 mg Verapamil are less than half the costs of the Verelan capsules.  Do those of you who take multiple tablets "spread them out", or do you take them at the same time?  Also, haven't I read that The regullar Verap is preferable to the time release capsules?
  Sorry to be so long-winded.   Also forgot to mention that I am chronic.  All praise Verapamil - - - thanks guys
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Ueli

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16th, 2002, 12:53pm »

For RichardN

Dr. Goadsby (and he should know it) recommends the regular Verapamil over the slow or extended release versions. (It is usually cheaper too). It can't hurt to spread out the daily dose, and breaking the regular tablets in halves is no problem. I take my daily dose of 560 mg as 7 tablets at 80mg, spread into 3 takings.

PFNADs,
Ueli
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss