Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 7:05am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Has any one tried Axert ? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Has any one tried Axert ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Has any one tried Axert ?  (Read 289 times)
markdavid
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Has any one tried Axert ?
« on: Jul 13th, 2002, 1:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been suffering from clusters for 17 years and my cycles have moved to every 2 years . I have just started again after 2 years and the Dr. gave me these Axert tablets. I have taken one and it has worked so far yet my headaches always seem to be treatable for the first week or so. The side effects list sleepiness as a side effect yet I am wired , this is not good.
   Has any body tried this drug yet?

Thanks,
Mark David
IP Logged

Mark Hoebener
Ueli

Email

Re: Has any one tried Axert ?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13th, 2002, 10:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Mark,

Almotriptan (Axert) is one of the newer triptans, but actually there is not much new about it, it's very similar to Naratriptan (Amerge). Some experts say you can chose between the two for the price (at least for meegraines).
You didn't say what instructions your doc gave for the Axert, and how much - only some samples or a script for regular use?
If Axert is similar to Amerge for CHers too, then it is not very useful to abort an attack, too slow to kick in. But it should be useful as a short time preventative, to keep off the night time attacks. For this I use Amerge quite successfully.

PFNADs,
Ueli
IP Logged
markdavid
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 14th, 2002, 9:06am »

Hi Ueli,

The Dr. gave me samples and instructed no more than 2 in 24 hours. So far so good yet my cycle just started  

Can you tell me any more about Amerge please

Thanks PFDs
Mark David
IP Logged

Mark Hoebener
Ueli

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 14th, 2002, 9:23pm »

Mark,

Naratriptan (Amerge) is one of the triptans developed to abort meegraine attacks.
It takes more than half an hour to kick in, and is therefore not very useful to abort a cluster attack. (For aborting Sumatriptan (Imitrex) as injection or nasal spray are the choice.) But since Amerge has a half life time of ~4 hours (only 1 or 2 hours for Imitrex) it is suitable as a short time preventative. I take one before going to bed, with good results in preventing the nightly attacks.
As I said before, Amerge and Axert are very similar.

PFNADs
Ueli
IP Logged
markdavid
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 14th, 2002, 9:32pm »

Thanks Ueli .  Imitrex does not work for me in either form,  Axert is ok yet I haven't taken but three so i'm not too sure it will work. Thanks again for your input

PFDAN

Mark David
IP Logged

Mark Hoebener
gtarman

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 15th, 2002, 3:46pm »

It appears that CH and the meds used to treat it are different for everyone. I used Amerge (and Zomig) last year when my cycle kicked into high gear. Both worked to kill the "icepick" attacks within 3-15 minutes but did nothing for the accompanying symptoms; made my chest hurt like crazy (both are vaso-constrictors) and kept me FROM sleeping. I'm gonna stay away from the stuff if I can, but you know how it is when the bad ones hit...
IP Logged
sue-bee

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17th, 2002, 12:05pm »

I tried Axert in pill form.  I had limited success with it.  I also needed to take 2 ESGIG plus  capsules to dull the pain.  My neurologist claims that ANY medication that is taken in pill form will take 30 minutes to work and therefore is not effective against CH.  He has me taking Imetrex nasal spray, which I do find is effective; however, since the intensity of my bouts is easing, due to use of prednisone,  it's hard to say if the Imetrex nasal is truly as successful as it would be at the height of my episodes.   I am assuming that the only form of Axert is pills....
IP Logged
markdavid
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 18th, 2002, 1:32am »

Sue,

I am not sure if pill is its only form,I would assume it is as well. I try to take them on an empty stomach and I chew or break them up with my teeth, I have found results in 10 to 20 min.

PFDAN
Mark David
IP Logged

Mark Hoebener
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss