Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 7th, 2024, 10:31pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « ch-your thyroid and marijuana »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   ch-your thyroid and marijuana
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ch-your thyroid and marijuana  (Read 561 times)
josephg

Email

ch-your thyroid and marijuana
« on: Jun 27th, 2002, 12:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I was a chronic sufferer. I began getting them in 1994, and by 1995, 96, and 97, I was having them everyday 3, 4, and 5 a day! I was a mess! And when I wasn't having attacks I was left shell-shocked and in fear of the next one.
In 1998, I gave up on prescription meds, and I tried a number of them. Nothing was working. I was dying. And you know the feeling.
I started using marijuana to lessen the pain when I was having an attack and to use it otherwise to try and decrease the number of attacks I was having.
I am new to this site. I understand this runs contrary to opinion here. But, it worked for me. I kept a log and I had significantly fewer attacks and their severity was weakened.
So I had less attacks, and when I was having one, I attacked the pain. I would impact the pain with hits of pot, and sometimes even stop attacks dead in their tracks.  
The pot did a lot to lessen the number of attacks I was having and to help kill the pain when I was having one.
One other thing and I'll stop running my mouth:

In 2000, a doctor at the VA, immediately noticed somethings about me and told me I had hyper-thyroid. This was about the 8th doctor I had gone to see about the cluster headache pain.
Sure enough, they ran a thyroid scan and my thyroid was enlarged a bit. So they gave me the iodine-radiation treatment, and for the past year I rarely get attacks. I have maybe 2 or 3 a month sometimes not even that. And they're pretty managable.  
All I know is I endured, and I was in pretty bad shape.
I'm not saying everyone should start doing what I did, but I'm no longer in the chronic pain I was in.  
So my advice as a veteran cluster attack sufferer: It might be worth it to have the level of thyroid hormone in your blood tested and to see an endocrinologist. It made a big difference in my life.  
God bless  
Joseph

« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2002, 1:26am by josephg » IP Logged
ave

Email

Re: ch-your thyroid and marijuana
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29th, 2002, 6:52am »

Hello Joseph,

some people here reported in the past about benefitting from thyroid medication. I am glad it worked for you.

On the marihuana, it is not so much current opinion, as findings:  most people report here that they get no relief at all from it.  
You must be one of the feww for whom it works.
Thanks for sharing.
IP Logged
Candy

Email

Re: ch-your thyroid and marijuana
« Reply #2 on: Jul 3rd, 2002, 6:20am »

Hey Joe, glad you've found something that helps, but a word to others re: pot to treat.  We used recreational as kids, so last cycle hubby figured it was worth a shot.  BIG MISTAKE!!!  Can't give you a Kip level, but he says it made attack worse, much worse.
As to thyroid, his is normal.

Welcome, J., and keep coming - lots of great people and advice here.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss