Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 7th, 2024, 1:24am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Calcium and Magnesium as preventative »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Calcium and Magnesium as preventative
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Calcium and Magnesium as preventative  (Read 332 times)
EricaP

Email

Calcium and Magnesium as preventative
« on: Jun 26th, 2002, 11:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi there, I am a 22 year old female who has been suffering from episodic clusters for the last 10 years or so. I have experimented with  a few things and have found that the Imitrex injections work the best, but I would rather not even get a headache than try to treat it. I have been taking 4 Calcium/Magnesium pills a day, 4 B-6 and 4 B-2. I have found that while these have not reduced the frequency of my headaches, which started last week and will last for about 2 months, but they HAVE reduced the severity, I have yet to resort to my injections, and I have had at least 7 h/a in the last 24 hours. They have gone from 2 hour hellfests to about a 1/2 hour of annoying pain, with no treatment. I do not have insurance and as you can imagine buying the 2 pack of injections costs mucho dinero! Does anyone have any info on bloodletting as a relief? I know it sounds archaic but it might be something to be explored. Hope this post helps a few people! Thanks for being here for me!!
IP Logged
kristi

Email

Re: Calcium and Magnesium as preventative
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27th, 2002, 12:51am »

Hi EricaP;

Sorry that you have clusters, but glad to see that you have come to the right place to get some information and help.

Many people have benefited from a new therapy, easy and inexpensive to grow yourself....tommyD recently posted this well-written introduction to the subject of mushroom therapy(thanks tommyD!):  

"There may be a drug you haven't tried...I'm sure no doctor has prescribed it, but many of us here have found it to be extremely effective as a long-term preventative. Psilocybin, found in "magic mushrooms" or "shrooms," can break a cycle with just a few doses, and they don't have to be strong doses -- a half or a quarter of the recreational dose is enough for many. This is not a hoax or a joke or a pipe dream.  But neither is it to be taken lightly.  There is much to know before you try it. Particularly important -- certain medications can interfere with or enhance psilocybin. And it's illegal in most countries.  Here are some links to information."  

http://www.a-dzign.com/shrooms/  

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1013709016  

Erica, my husband has just recently successfully treated his clusters with shrooms, as have others.  Keep going down through the messages on the medication board and you will find a couple of recent threads with other success stories. My husband was in the middle of a cycle and getting hit several times a day when we came to this site and found the info on the shroom treatment.  First, we read everything PinkSharkMark has written and the success stories of others.  As a result, he decided to try it.  After "dosing," he had only few shadows in the first 5 days, then 2 actual cluster headaches on the 6th day.  We knew that many people have needed to dose more than one time.  But he waited it out and it has now been 28 days since that one dose, and 22 amazing, PAINFREE days since the last CH.  And no continuing shadows either.  It completely aborted the cycle!  He is free of all meds now as well.

You can research this subject by clicking on the search button at the top right of your screen, then typing in a keyword like mushrooms or pinksharkmark.  You can also use the search function to find information about many other types of treatments that are successful for some clusterheads.

But whether it is shrooms or something else, I hope you find success in getting painfree!  The key is to educate yourself so you know what options are available to you.

Good Luck and PFDAN!  

K  

IP Logged
EricaP

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27th, 2002, 6:29am »

hey Kristy, thanks so much for the info. I have been looking over all the shroom info, and it seems very promising. I have horses so in essence I have been growing my own cure all this time! I am going to take a few samples of the shrooms that grow on the manure and test them for the "bluing" effect to see if they are the right kind. if so I am going to try this therapy. Thanks again!
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27th, 2002, 8:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Erica,

If you are not 100% sure what type they are, do not take them!

The psilocybe treatment is promising but I'd hate to see someone get ill or die trying it.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
pinksharkmark
New Board Veteran
Dominican_Rep 

Clusterhead

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27th, 2002, 8:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Erica, glad to hear the magnesium is working so well for you. There has been quite a bit of discussion about magnesium as a treatment on the older version of this bulletin board -- I recall quite a flurry of posts a bit more than a year ago (I think), then it just sort of died. There were a number of success stories, especially regarding intravenous magnesium. It doesn't work for everyone, but some have reported some pretty amazing relief from it.

As for the mushrooms, it is true the kind you are looking for grow on horse manure and on cow patties, but so do other mushrooms. The "bluing" reaction is the most reliable indicator that you have indeed found what you are looking for. If you pick a mushroom, then slice off the cap and the cut in the stem doesn't blue, DO NOT EAT IT no matter how closely it may resemble  pictures of the various psilocybes. If it don't stain blue, it ain't good for you.

A secondary test is to take a "spore print". Slice off the cap and place it (gill side down) on a piece of white paper. Let it sit for about 24 hours then check the color of the spores that have been deposited. The spores appear as a very fine powder and will be a very dark purplish black (sometimes appearing completely black) or purplish brown. Spores of any other color indicate you may have a different species, EVEN THOUGH there may appear to be a slight bluish reaction. The bluing reaction of the psilocybes is very strong and quite pronounced, but there are some species that will sometimes bruise a sort of greenish color that can be mistaken as a kind of a blue by someone who is prone to wishful thinking, but none of those species have dark purplish spores.

As a final warning, sometimes two different species that appear similar to each other will grow from the same clump of manure, sometimes almost intermingled. Make sure that ALL the ones you gather pass the bluing test.    

pinky
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2002, 8:46am by pinksharkmark » IP Logged
kristi

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27th, 2002, 6:23pm »

Hey EricaP!

Glad to know someone out there has been reading all of this "nonsense" we keep posting on here.  Hmpff - wish I had a horse!  Hee Hee

Please be careful, as already stated, with what you are picking and taking.  Pinky's the guro, so contact him if you have any question whatsoever about whether or not you have picked the right thing.

I hope, hope, hope, that you have great success with the shroom therapy.  Let us know if you have any questions or need any support.

And please let us know how it goes!

GOOD LUCK!

K
IP Logged
maria

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 27th, 2002, 9:48pm »

Hey Erika, I went to a pain conference this week and the dr. recommended magnesium, vit B2 400 mg. a day, as well as feverfew and Omega 3 Fatty Acids (which decrease production of proinflammatory chemicals) fish or flax supplements, or soybeans, walnuts or mangos or caffeine as a natural supplement.   Maria
IP Logged
EricaP

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 27th, 2002, 10:17pm »

Thanks Maria! And everyone. Does anyone have a digital pic of the proper species of fungus they can e-mail me? I have read up but have not been able to find a pic on the web. Thanks again! ;D
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 28th, 2002, 8:42am »

Erica,

An image search on google for "psilocybe cubensis" returns 319 pictures (many of which have no connection at all to the search term, as usual).
Click on:
http://images.google.com/images?q=+%22psilocybe+cubensis%22&num=30&a mp;hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&as_qdr=all&sa=N&tab=wi

AllTheWeb returns 37 pictures:
http://www.alltheweb.com/search?cat=img&charset=utf-8&query=psil ocybe+cubensis

As usual, both search engines return many broken links  Angry

I hope that helps,
Ueli
IP Logged
Candy

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 28th, 2002, 11:22am »

About magnesium, just saw something on a site the other day - migrainehelp.com, I think - about mixing magnesium with Neurontin.  Apparently, unless the two are taken two hours apart, magnesium will screw up Neurontin's effectiveness because they'll be competing to get at the brain's receptors.
Just FYI to anyone thinking of trying it.
IP Logged
kristi

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 28th, 2002, 2:10pm »

Hi Candi and welcome!

Thanks for the info.  Hubby was on nuerontin for 4 years and I've never heard anything about magnesium interfering before.

K
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss