Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 6:21am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex and Insurance »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex and Insurance
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex and Insurance  (Read 179 times)
72wick

Email

Imitrex and Insurance
« on: Jun 19th, 2002, 12:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello Everyone. I have had episodic clusters about every 18 mos. for the last 14 years. I have in the past had to work with the insurance company to have the imitrex injections covered. This time no luck. They have absolutely refused. I have a wonderful doctor who sent a letter of medical necessity. Somehow by reading this letter they have decided it is preventative medication and therefore not covered. My doctors office called with no result. I called the H/R Benefits admin. She basically at first acted like she was not familiar with my situation. Then she told me that injectables were not ever covered (except insulin). I asked her then why I needed to have my doctor send the letter--she said they wanted to be fair and see all the facts in case they decided to make a rare exception. But in my case no, this according to them is not worthy. Has anyone ever had this happen? Does anyone have any advice on what i might do? I have spent up to this point 1200.00 on credit (on the insurance companies advice i might add!) I am trying not to be incredibly upset about this but i dont know how i will pay for what i already have much less anymore i might need.
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Imitrex and Insurance
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19th, 2002, 7:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Something similar happened to me.  At my place of employment we are required to sign a benefits agreement.  In the fine print, it specifically states that imitrex injections are not covered.  Therefore the only way I can get it covered is if my employer gives the okay.  The insurance company is willing to cover imitrex injections but my employer is not.  I think that if my employer makes the exception to cover imitrex injections it will cost my employer more for insurance as part of some sort of agreement between employer and insurance company.
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
kristi

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19th, 2002, 9:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

What a scam!   Angry  Insurance companies make me crazy!!!  I wish I had some great advice - unfortunately I don't.   Undecided

I can only offer sympathy and hope it works out for you.  But I would get a copy of your health insurance contract for your plan and read every single word and I would also try to go over her head ..... find out if you have the right to appeal.

Good luck!
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 20th, 2002, 12:44pm »

Hey 72 - I share in your anger.  I hate the fact that we not only have to deal with the beast, but we have to deal with the awful insurance company!   Angry

If it's the injection that your insurance won't cover, will they cover the medication instead?  If so, get the vial of Imitrex and use the small needles at the pharmacy.  Just a suggestion and not sure if it will work or not.

Good luck to you,
NotH20
IP Logged
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 20th, 2002, 1:22pm »

I'm in insurance hell over my imitrex!

My dr. wrote a script for 10 - 2 packs of injections.
The insurance sent me 3!
My Dr. wrote a letter.
I still only got 3 the next time.
I called and my Dr. called.
I still only got 3 the next time.
My company put in an over-ride for me that went into effect 2 weeks ago.
Ordered a refill - got 3!!!!

The prednasone is no longer working... I'm back to 2 chs a day at kip 8..... and they send me 3 f'n packs.

So... I called again!!!  They said it is a mistake and I should receive the rest in a week.

yeah.. right!
Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss