Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 6:33am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Beta Blockers »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Beta Blockers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Beta Blockers  (Read 378 times)
JackieN

Email

Beta Blockers
« on: Jun 17th, 2002, 9:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Have any of you successfully used beta blockers for clusters?  If so, which one, and at what dosage?

Jackie
IP Logged
clusterdome

Email

Re: Beta Blockers
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18th, 2002, 12:18am »

Inderal LA 160mg. once a day unless times are really bad and I go to one every 12 hours.  

CCB's didn't help me like most other folks here.  
It wasn't untill I used the Long Acting for a week or more that I seen any sign of help. Regular Inderal never did a bit of good.  (for me) Hope this helps you in someway.  

Good Luck........................CD

Then again if they really, really "worked" I wouldn't be here at 1:30 in the morning. They help.

« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2002, 12:28am by culsterdome » IP Logged
simpson1974
New Board Junior

« Reply #2 on: Jun 18th, 2002, 9:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just saw my neurologist this past Friday for the first time.  When I told him I was on Inderal, Depakote, Imitrex as abortive... he told me I was getting off the Inderal.  He said Inderal and other beta-blockers did not work for cluster headaches.  I don't know if this is true or not, and I didn't press him on the issue.  I'm tapering off of it right now.  He said they didn't work for clusters and that some doctors prescribed them because they treated clusters like migraines... something to that effect.  He didn't get very technical about it, but he was adamant that they don't work.

I don't know if they do or don't... that was his opinion.  He's actually listed on the OUCH website as a recommended doctor for CH and he seems very knowledgeable.  He also gave me MUCHO imitrex samples, so I have no complaints with him.   Wink

As for personal experience, I don't know if they ever helped or not because I always took them in combination with something else.  It's very hard to say.  If they work for you in combination with something else, then take them.  Hell, I'd eat grass and dirt with mine if it got rid of my headaches!   Wink
IP Logged
JackieN

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 18th, 2002, 1:06pm »

Who is your doctor?  I 've been on this message board for years (haven't posted in a while).  I know that some cluster sufferers have been helped by various beta blockers.

Is your doctor, by any chance Dr. Graff-Radford?

Jackie
IP Logged
justin
New Board Veteran
USA 

what it is...

jdo201
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 18th, 2002, 4:06pm »

a neuro told me verapamil is the way to go . high doses. wasn't working for me though. over 480 mg made me light headed. switched to diltiazem . not working either. using depakote too though
IP Logged

if any clusterheads in NYC want to get together shoot me an email justinott@mac.com
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 18th, 2002, 4:38pm »

Verapamil Retard in high doze when you are in cycle should be:
5-6X120mg a day
80mg prednoselone a day for 10 days and then step down 60-40-20-10-5mg over a 2-3 weeks periode.
To kill the "bastard use Oxygen at 10L/minute for 15-20 minutes or imitrex-shots.
When you are out of cycle try up to 2X120mg Verapamil retard dayly.When the bastard has rest for 3-4 weeks you can take a break with verapamil to just step down that too.This might help,but i`m not a Dr ,just another clusterhead

Your friend Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 18th, 2002, 6:49pm »

Hi Jackie:

I've been taking 120mg Inderal LA daily for the last two weeks and I have to say I think it helps.  I started at 60mg and after 1-2 weeks I started getting breakthroughs, upped to 80mg same thing and now 2 weeks on 120mg and so far so good.  Nothing but mildly annoying shadows.  And this is down from 8 kip 7-10 per day.

I have had some other stuff going on which may or may not have helped my clusters.  The jury is still out on that one.  Rather than go through the whole sordid story on this board, I'd be happy to fill you in if you e-mail me.

Good luck and wishing you all PFDAN always, Linda T.
IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
simpson1974
New Board Junior

« Reply #7 on: Jun 18th, 2002, 9:21pm »

Jackie,

I don't know a Dr. Graff-Radford, and as I said, I didn't get into a technical discussion with my doc about beta blockers.  I know they are prescribed quite often and I think he was just expressing an opinion.  He was quite insistent that they did not help CH, but I did not ask him why or how they didn't help because I probably wouldn't have understood him, anyway.  Smiley
IP Logged
oringkid

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 19th, 2002, 11:33am »

I was on Inderal many years ago, by itself, and it did nothing for me.

Sherry
IP Logged
kristi

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 20th, 2002, 10:11pm »

Hi JackieN;

My husband has never tried the beta blockers, so I unfortunately cannot offer you any info.  Hope whatever you use is successful though at getting you painfree.

Simpson1974;

"Hell, I'd eat grass and dirt with mine if it got rid of my headaches!"  okay, gotta ask - have you tried the shroom therapy?  It has been a miracle for my husband - stopped the cycle cold - and has done the same and more for many others.  The best starting point for information is...
http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1013709016

Good luck and PFDAN to all!

K
IP Logged
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 20th, 2002, 10:17pm »

I was on Beta Blockers for a while, I can't remember which one, but it didn't do anything for me.

PFDAN.................. Drk^Angel
IP Logged
simpson1974
New Board Junior

« Reply #11 on: Jun 21st, 2002, 7:24am »

Kristi,

Haven't tried the "shroom therapy," but I would "never say never."  Fortunately, my current cycle is under control.  I'm episodic, and I get them about every 18-24 months.  If things get worse, I can't say that I would never try something like that, because the pain is so bad that I would be willing to do just about anything to rid myself of it.  I don't know if shrooms are any scarier than any of the other stuff that is legally prescribed, especially prednisone.  

I'm definitely keeping my eye on the treatment, though... it's a possibility, to be sure.

Brandon
IP Logged
maria

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 27th, 2002, 9:28pm »

HEY, I have been on atenolol for 3 years. No CH except for when I had major surgery and they said to go off of it prior to the surgery.  I went into a CH cycle the same day of the surgery, even the mophine drip did not help.  I also take 2 ibuprophins a day, I wish this could work for you all.  22 years of episodic CH, 6 of 7 years pain free.  Maria
IP Logged
jimj

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 17th, 2002, 6:22pm »

I too have been on atenolol for about three years.  After being PF for a little over a year, my Dr. cut the dosage from 50 mg daily to 25 mg daily.  This was last October.  The Beast returned in June.  Of course, I immediately returned to 50 mg dosage, but no effect.  I'm currently having 3 CH every night 6-7 Kip also at least one most days 8-9 Kip.

Jim
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 17th, 2002, 10:25pm »

Am 55 and chronic since 1/01.  For several months was on atenolol (sp?) - - increased dosage twice - - sorry, don't remember the last I took.  There seemed to be some  decrease in severity/frequency for a little while each time - - - but was having 6-8 ch daily, KIP 5-9 and a couple of 10s when found this site.  Requested Verapamil and 02.....he wanted to up the Atenolol again.......I had a 10 the day before (2+ hrs) and was fed up.........insisted on the Verapamil......he started me at 120mg.......helped......then 180.......better........240.......several PF days - WOW......360 Verelan........damn , getting my life back.   Last couple of weeks, he's starting to get "regular" again - 5 out of last eight nights and have requested 420mg Verap. (240 and 180 reg. tablets.  The two or three shadows I get a day can usually knock out with 02,  blessed 02.

PFDANs to all     Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Jul 18th, 2002, 8:47am »

Inderal didn't touch my attacks.  It's mainly a meegraine med. although some say it's helped thier clusters.

The Ch experts, Goadsby, Mathrau, etc. say CCB's (verap) is the way to go.  The verap surveys at OUCH show only about a 30% success rate with verap though.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss