Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 7:03am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « oxygen »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   oxygen
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: oxygen  (Read 213 times)
Squale

Email

oxygen
« on: Jun 15th, 2002, 6:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

As I posted in an earlier post I now have oxygen for about 1 week.It has helped abort my h/a 6 times already.I have an "e" tank with a rebreathing mask.The mask has two exhale ports with one covered by a thin rubber flap that opens and closes.I was told to set regulator at rate that keeps the bag inflated with my breathing.I do this and it seems when I exhale the bag fills with my exhaled air.Should I try a new technique like covering the holes with tape and gently squeeze the bag while I inhale and then remove the mask for exhale? I dont want to over do it with oxygen and hurt my lungs(which already arent to good from 2 packs of cigs a day).P.S. I am new here BUT not new to cluster headaches.Any help is truly appreciated
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

Re: oxygen
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15th, 2002, 10:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Squale,

There is a one-way valve between the bag and the mask too. If you inhale at a larger rate than the regulator is set, the bag will deflate, and it is filled again during the time you are not inhaling. It is possible for this valve to get stuck, but that is easily checked: With the oxygen turned off and the bag flat blow into the mask. If the bag stays flat the valve is ok, otherwise get a new mask.

Something else is the missing flap on one of the exhale ports. This is called a safety feature: if you fall asleep and the tank runs empty you still get air through this open port.

I think 100% pure oxygen for 10 minutes is less demanding on your lungs than 20 minutes of only 70 or 80%. And 100% oxygen is the fastest to abort an attack.
There are different tricks to prevent this open port from diluting the oxygen. (if you wet the side of your nose, you'll feel if air is streaming in while inhaling.)
1) Set the regulator high enough so never air comes in the open port - a waste of oxygen.
2) Gently squeeze the bag during inhaling.
3) The easiest way: Put a flap on the open port too (from an old mask, or make one of heavy plastic foil). If you defeat the 'safety feature' in this way it is best not to use the rubber band but to hold the mask to your face by hand.

Finally, if you not already have, get a bubbler to provide part of the moisture needed, your nose passages will feel less dried out.

Good luck with the oxygen,
Ueli
IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

Re: oxygen
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16th, 2002, 7:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

100% pure oxygen at 10L/minute for some 15-20 minutes will do miracles for you.That work for me
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2002, 7:12am by The  mad viking » IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss