Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 6:26am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapamil and Constipation »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapamil and Constipation
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapamil and Constipation  (Read 316 times)
malcolm

Email

Verapamil and Constipation
« on: Jun 15th, 2002, 1:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Not a very cool topic  I am afraid, but what the heck I am not proud!!

I was started on Verapamil 80mg three times a day about two weeks ago. Within a few days it stopped my CHs dead but gave me major constipation. After a few days I though I would try coming off the Verapamil because maybe the CHs had gone away. I had one day of quite marked shadow headaches and put myself back on it. They went away to my relief but I am getting very constipated again. Does it improve with time? What is the best way to help it? I am taking one Senna tablet twice a day and that seems to help.  

Cheers, Malcolm

Thought this cartoon was PARTICULARLY appropriate

IP Logged
Ueli

Email

Re: Verapamil and Constipation
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15th, 2002, 10:56am »

Constipation is a common side effect from Verapamil, especially at the amount clusterheads take it.

However, if you don't wait for the total block up, maybe you can handle it by some simple household remedies:

Dried plums or apricots (for me, 2 or 3 a day will do the trick)
Cooked apples (by example in the form of apple pie)
Bruised linseed, a spoonful mixed with the breakfast cereals or a yoghurt. (note: the whole seed are
not digestible)
and of course, good old castor oil  Grin

PFNADs
Ueli
IP Logged
kristi

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15th, 2002, 7:14pm »

Hey Malcolm,

One of the best natural remedies I know of is dark karo syrup.  My son's pediatrician recommended we add it to his bottle once a day because the formula he was on was causing him constipation (didn't want to stop using that formula though because everything else had given him tummy gas).  But if they'd recommend it for a baby, it must be very mild on your system.  Keeping it in his system every day was the key to regularity.

Anyway, it's the dark karo only that works and because it's sweet, you can use it in your coffee or hot tea instead of sugar.  I would try 1 tbsp. twice a day and increase if that doesn't work.

Good luck!
IP Logged
Marijke
New Board Junior
Belgium 

Nice board!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 16th, 2002, 3:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Malcolm,

Yep, verapamil causes that. Added to what Ueli and Kristi wrote: make sure you drink enough (preferably water) and eat a whole lot of fibres (extra-fibre cereals, raw vegetables). A glass of lukewarm water in the morning might help as well, same for 3 tablespoons of olive oil.

Marijke
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17th, 2002, 11:13am »

Malcolm - I have nothing new to add to the list, but man that cartoon was hysterical.   ;D   Just wanted to thank you for adding a little humor to my day.

NotH20
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 17th, 2002, 1:36pm »

As shown in the OUCH site verapamil surveys, constipation is the number one side effect of verapamil.

The only thing that helped me was the old fasioned "Harsh" over the counter, phenothaline, type laxatives and even they were marginal.

If I take verap next cluster, I'm also going to ask the doc to prescribe a good laxative to go with it.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss