Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 7:12am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « My husband is cured!!! Please Read »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   My husband is cured!!! Please Read
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My husband is cured!!! Please Read  (Read 2842 times)
Gabby

Email

My husband is cured!!! Please Read
« on: Jun 13th, 2002, 10:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am new to the message board, although I have read EVERYTHING I can find on these headaches.  It wasn't until my cousin called me to tell me he hasn't had one in over a year, (he suffered for 15 years)  that we took his advise.  He told me that the problem came from his tooth.  When he was younger, he had a root canal that was filled with silver.  He had to have it redone, and he said as soon as the silver was removed he felt an instant change.  He was so excited, he made the dentist take out all the silver fillings from his mouth.  Since then his headaches have disappeared.  So my husband took his advise, went to the dentist and had the same thing done.  To our skeptical surprise, it WORKED!!!  The dentist had said that there was the smallest, tiniest hole from the root canal going into his sinus cavity.   The MRI's and CATScans and all the other tests my husband took never showed up anything.  BUT THIS WORKED!!!
If any of you want to e-mail me to find out a little more, trust me I know your suffering.  My husband has but his fist thru walls in our house, woke me up crying like a baby at 2a.m.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

Re: My husband is cured!!! Please Read
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13th, 2002, 10:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Gabby
I'm sure glad your hubby and your cousin (man, what are the odds of clusters being in your family and the one you married into?) are pain free.  But before everyone runs and gets all their fillings yanked out, please keep in mind that a one year remission is not all that spectular in clusteropolis.  Not unless the sufferer had been chronic for all those 15 years.  How long has your husband been pain free, Gabby?  Could it be that his cycle just ended naturally?

Cluster headaches are caused from a deformed hypothalmus and seratonin imbalance - Dr. Goadsby is pretty darned sure about that.  The seratonin imbalance is a common thread in clusterheads and explains a lot of things.

Lots of sufferers have had teeth extracted, re-filled, etc. - my husband included - in a search for a cure.  But in most every case, the cycles of clusters has come back.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Gabby - and I really hope your hubby's remission continues for a long time.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2002, 10:59am by Margi » IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13th, 2002, 10:57am »

Gabby,

Sorry, but if your husband had headaches caused by silver going through a root canal hole, into his sinus, he did not have cluster headaches.

Clusters stem from the hypothalamus in the middle of the brain.

Glad to hear that whatever headaches your hubby had are cured and I can really appreciate your excitement and eagerness to share this

Thanks for sharing with us.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Gabby

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13th, 2002, 11:32am »

Bob P -  

I understand what you're saying about the origin of the clusters, but how can you explain my cousin, who has definitely suffered in cycles for 15 years.  I am not saying go and get your teeth yanked out, but maybe it is something worth checking out.

Although my husband just had his tooth done a month ago,  his headaches have not returned.

IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13th, 2002, 11:33am »

To add to what Margi said, everybody contemplating some tooth work to 'cure' clusters should read about The Mercury Amalgam Scam.
This article calls the "60 Minutes" broadcast about the "tooth fillings connection" the most irresponsible report on a health topic ever broadcast on network television.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 13th, 2002, 11:39am »

Gabby,

If the headaches are caused by the silver in my teeth, silver which is there all of the time, or a hole into my sinus which is there all of the time, why are the headaches circadian in rhythm?  Why do I get hit for 5 or 6 weeks and then get 2 years pain free?

For 20 years I got hit every 8 or 9 months.  Then, at the age of 40, for no reason, the clusters jumped to every 2 years.  Since then each remission gets a couple of months longer with the last one being 2 years 7 months.  That could be an explination for your cousin.
IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
dannyboy
New Board Old Timer

Docs didn't design the machine they're working on

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 13th, 2002, 11:43am »

That the hypothalamus has a connection to clusters is now beyond doubt thanks to Dr Goadsby. Thats a fact. OK.

That the hypothalamus is the CAUSE of clusters has not been proven. Thats a fact ... Its a fact.

Its what some researchers call "Logical Conjecture".  
"Logical Conjecture" looks like this .... "If we find x, y, and z, then that MUST mean blah blah blah." Well it may and it may not. The fact is, that it remains unproven, logical conjecture.

The opnions presented above, are, in my humble opnion ... just opinions.  

I am of the opinion ... that stating opinions as proven fact is out of bounds.

To cap it with "Therefore you don't have clusters" ..... OUCH!!!

What if you're right boob ...? well then you're ok!  

But what if you're Partially right ... ? Then you're fucked. And I know, because of my special circumstance, that IF you are right, then, at best, you're only partially right.  

But we don't even know That yet. It remains to be proven that you're even partially right. Am I right?

Now I don't mean to piss on this new found friendship, dare I call it that, forgive me ... but if I'm going to hire a Hawg and join you for some long winding country corners, and conversation about changing the world...

Show me what I'm missing so that I can shut the fuck up already. Please!!
IP Logged

Bedside manner is no substitute for a correct diagnosis - Bill Gates
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 13th, 2002, 11:58am »

You are right Danny.

So now the question is, are there people without the fillings who have clusters?

I know what my guess is but I'll reserve it.  The good thing is, since they don't use these fillings much any more, we should see a complete end to clusters with this generation.
IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
dannyboy
New Board Old Timer

Docs didn't design the machine they're working on

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 13th, 2002, 12:04pm »

Not funny shut up!!!

Bent (with laughter)
D
IP Logged

Bedside manner is no substitute for a correct diagnosis - Bill Gates
kristi

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 13th, 2002, 12:05pm »

Okay, I'm no help.

My answer is "yes, Scott has several silver fillings."

Waiting now for a bunch of clusterheads to tell me they have never had a silver filling so I don't have to tell Scott to go get his yanked out.   ;D

PFDAN...Kristi
IP Logged
oringkid

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 13th, 2002, 12:33pm »

We would have to find someone who either has never had a filling or someone who is VERY young (probably 25 or younger to be safe) who has never had a silver filling.

Me, I got silver.

Sherry
IP Logged
BarbaraG
New Board Veteran

Gotta Love Me :-)

gotro1013
Email

« Reply #11 on: Jun 13th, 2002, 1:44pm »

I have no silver fillings and have had clusterheadaches for 13 years, with the last 3 years being chronic. Roll EyesBarbaraG
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 13th, 2002, 3:19pm »

So, there you have it!  Positive proof that a lack of silver fillings causes chronic cluster headaches.

Thanks Barbara.

This is a common trait in clusteheads.  We so desparately want to figure these damn things out that when something changes with the headaches, we start trying to figure out what we did different to cause the change.  We're likely to grab ahold of anything we can make sense of in our heads.

When chances are that the change is aresult of getting older and a change in body chemistry.

I can't say absolutely that fillings have nothing to do with clusters.  I can say that I firmly believe that they don't.

Family members of clusterheads are 14 times more like to have clusters than familys of non clusterheads.  That tells me it's more than fillings.
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2002, 3:20pm by Bob P » IP Logged

"SHUT UP HUB!"
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #13 on: Jun 13th, 2002, 3:21pm »

I highly doubt that silver fillings cause cluster headaches.... BUT....

I do believe that once in cycle... many things can trigger attacks to be worse, more often, longer cycle etc.

Alcohol, weather changes, etc.  Maybe silver fillings are one of these.

Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #14 on: Jun 13th, 2002, 3:22pm »

I forgot to add that I probably do have silver fillings, but I have never had a root canal...... just topical fillings.
Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jun 13th, 2002, 8:21pm »

Sorry, I've never had a cavity and never had silver ;D.  I have a post and crown, but no silver.
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jun 13th, 2002, 10:51pm »

I have never had fillings, nor needed any dental work done, and I've had CH since I was 11.  Oh well...

PFDAN...................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged
Marijke
New Board Junior
Belgium 

Nice board!

WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Jun 14th, 2002, 2:10pm »

Hi,

I've had my last filling when I was 17. My clusters didn't start till I was 33. And I (fortunately) never had a root canal.
IP Logged
rick
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #18 on: Jun 14th, 2002, 2:44pm »

No silver fillings.
IP Logged
chalo

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jun 15th, 2002, 9:23am »

just adding to the "survey" .30 yrs old,clusters for only 2 weeks,no fillings or dental work.                                   chad Lips Sealed
IP Logged
Mr. J.L.

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jun 24th, 2002, 9:15pm »

I've had a root canal when I was 23, as well as various other fillings....My CH's started in 1994, and seem to come every other year (seems like the even numbered years).....Anyway, my root canal filling came out 2 years ago, and I still get the CH's....
IP Logged
simpson1974
New Board Junior

« Reply #21 on: Jun 25th, 2002, 10:16am »

Just for the record... have had mucho fillings... four or five root canals... lost track... lots of dental work.  Not that there's a connection, either, but my CH didn't start until after I had my first filling.  I'm just not sure how long after because my memory, even though I'm fairly young, sucks.   Roll Eyes

And they are silver fillings, btw.
IP Logged
b.rains
New Board Newbie

ewww, I hates these wrackin' frackin' headaches

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jun 25th, 2002, 10:59pm »

Perfect teeth, not even 1 cavity in 30 years.  I been suffering since age 20.  Silver = nothing when it comes to clusters although I have on occasion wanted to pull my teeth out to relieve the pain. ;D
-b.rains
IP Logged

b.rains
das
New Board Junior

It's 2:22, make a wish.

« Reply #23 on: Jun 27th, 2002, 8:40am »

I've had CHs for 10 years. Had many theories as to why and how to stop them. None of which were right.  

Bottom line. I went into to a 2 year remission at one point then one day. BANG ! back again.  

As Margi and others will tell you, CHs are caused by a deformed hypothalamus. (not related o teeth or fillings) I believe it was a coincidence that your cousin and husband went in to remission after removing their fillings. A big coincidence at that.  I know you may believe otherwise, but I unfortunately believe that their clusters will return one day.

If you ask me CH is a living, thinking beast. It finds ways around your meds and lifestyle changes. Just when you think you've beaten it. It comes back. This may sound corny, but I think the best way to deal with CH is by telling yourself that it could be worse, which is true.  

I've found Oxygen is a big helper for me. I actually have completely gone off medication after being on all sorts for 6 years. I had 6 months of remission, but now I'm starting a cycle again.

Good luck.
IP Logged
AnthonyT
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jul 1st, 2002, 2:43am »

I should have backed out of here once I saw the subject. Oh well... too late now.

Forming a direct relation between mercury amalgams and clusters is folly. An indirect relation, however, may or may not exist.

I will echo the advice of others in warning: do not go to immediately remove mercury amalgam in expectation of dispelling clusters. They might be a (*A*, not *THE ONLY*) cause of clusters, or one of many factors involved. We don't currently know. Even if they are involved in a particular case, removing them might not help -- if they had effect, it's quite possible (in some cases) that the damage is lasting or permanent.

Having said that, now I mention some simple facts: mercury amalgams do have murcury -- really! It is not a small portion of them even (nearly 50% to get right "mix"Wink. Dentists handle the material with great care to limit exposure. Amalgam does degrade  (it's not some mythical adamantium compound that is impervious to physical erosion or chemical reaction).

Now... the question would be: is the murcury leeched (or even the other elements of the compund, to be fair) of sufficient quantity to be "bad"? I will not answer that, as it seems to depend a lot on what "bad" is. Opinions on this will vary all over the map. But the simple rule is: less is less bad. Much like John Gofman's conclusion about a research on a "safe dose of radiation": "There is no safe threshold". Every unit of exposure merely increases chances of something going awry and escaping or exceeding the body's maintenance (immune) system. In the case of heavy metals (or specifically murcury), each body may have a crude "threshold" of how much it can accomodate before something "bad" happens... but you could argue that any that sticks around is reducing your margin to this threshold, and is therefore bad...

... I ramble.

I'd like to jump off this ramble by stating that things are rarely as simple as A causes B, where complex systems are concerned (such as our bodies and their environs). Don't toss away intermedate variables (amalgams) because they don't *direclty* match the summary of your hypothesis (hypothalamus deformity). Also don't toss variables because they aren't present in every case (I'm pretty sure there are a lot of ways to mess up the hypothalamus to some particular end, if that is the desired outcome). And on the other side of things: just because a suspicious variable is present, doesn't mean it's significantly involved in the result when the "equations" are so complex. Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss