Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2024, 4:00pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Midrin (Migrazone) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Midrin (Migrazone)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Midrin (Migrazone)  (Read 594 times)
simpson1974
New Board Junior

Midrin (Migrazone)
« on: Jun 13th, 2002, 9:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been having some success with a migraine medicine called Midrin lately.  Here's how it goes...

I'm an episodic sufferer... I was getting 2-3 h/as per day (thank GOD I'm not as unlucky as some of you who get more.... yet, at least.  I don't know how you cope, and I feel for you!)  I've been struggling to find a preventative med that works with little success this time around.  An Imitrex injection works great as an abortive, but it's tough to get a lot of those with my insurance.

My NP prescribed Midrin, a medicine used for migraines.  The instructions were to take two capsules at the onset of a h/a and then one every hour after that if my head was still hurting.  I thought this was odd for CH, since most of mine don't even last an hour (although many times the pain level will reduce and the h/a will continue 2-3 hours, just not as intense as it began).  However, I tried it, and my first two h/as were aborted within a fairly short time... about as quickly as a pill can work.  However, after that, the midrin seemed not to help at all.

After keeping a h/a diary, it started becoming easy to tell just about when I was going to have a CH.  So, I have been taking two midrin in the mornings about a full hour before I normally get a h/a, and then I have been doing the same thing at night (Actually just after midnight.)  So far, I have had ONE headache this week, which was Tuesday morning around 10:15 or so.  I did NOT take midrin that morning.  

While taking the midrin, I'm still feeling shadows, but they're not developing into the K7 - 10 h/as I've been having this cycle.  I'm wondering if anyone else has tried midrin before.  I don't know a lot about it.  The only serious side effect I'm having so far is DROWSINESS.  I have been very sleepy while taking it.  I have looked at midrin on drug sites like rxlist.com and haven't found out anything much about it, nor have I heard of anyone using it for CH.  The only thing I do know is that my NP said it was "controlled" and that she called the prescription in for me.  I'm not exactly sure why.  Does anyone else have any info on this medicine?

Thanks, and PFDAN to all,
Brandon
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

Re: Midrin (Migrazone)
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13th, 2002, 11:50am »

Brandon - I was on Midrin back in 1980.  At that time I was undiagnosed and they weren't exactly sure what was wrong with me.  Unfortunately it didn't work for me, but that was a LONG time ago.  I'm happy that you are having luck with it.   Smiley

NotH20
IP Logged
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13th, 2002, 4:17pm »

I tried midrin a long time ago... when they thought all as I had was migraine.... It didn't work for me either...

But... i never tried it before a cluster started.  It also made me sick to my stomache.

Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Jun 14th, 2002, 4:26pm »

Simpson,  Glad your having some success. A while back I tried Midrin with zilch success.  I pitched the script b4 used up.  I even thought I was being slick by taking it b4 my anticipated event.  No luck.  Still got hammered.  
Hope you have continued good results. Smiley
IP Logged
sandygirl

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18th, 2002, 7:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hi i have been on midren for a while and it really helps me, i got them for migrianes but i also get cluster headaches the midren makes me a little sleepy and after about 4 of them im doing ok.i just found this site and think its great.to know there are other people out there besides me  take care..sandy.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss