Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « antihistamines »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   antihistamines
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: antihistamines  (Read 2384 times)
Grandma

Email

antihistamines
« on: Jun 9th, 2002, 12:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Does anyone take antihistamines to prevent the headaches during an aggressive cluster?  
If they are classified as "histamatic" headaches, shouldn't that mean that antihistamines should help keep them at bay?
IP Logged
Drk^Angel

Email

Re: antihistamines
« Reply #1 on: Jun 9th, 2002, 1:13am »

I think the name "histamine headache" is an old, outdated term.  I'm on antihistamines for a cold right now, but the beast is still lurkin'.  It would be nice if it was that simple though... "I have a headache... Where'd I put the Benedryl?"  Oh well...

PFDAN..................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 9th, 2002, 1:17am »

Some information on the histamine aspects of CH can be found here:

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/about.html#Histamine

PFDAN............................. Drk^Angel
IP Logged
Grandma

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 9th, 2002, 1:29am »

SmileyThanks for your reply.  I read what it said about histamines, but couldn't figure out exactly what it was saying, other than - I guess - that anithistamines are ineffective?  
I was just thinking that if a person took them regularly as a preventative - like Lithium or Verapamil - that maybe that would work.  Especially since they now have antihistamines that don't make you drowsy.
IP Logged
rick
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #4 on: Jun 9th, 2002, 2:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I know that a histamine drip IV is used to bust cycles by the Diamond Headache Clinic.  

Well, at least that's what they told me, and they said it had an 80% success rate.

Anyone know about this?

And there's this guy:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/GoodMorningAmerica/GMA010530Headaches _cluster.html

Peace.
IP Logged
sailpappy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

sail_pappy   sailpappy1
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 11th, 2002, 10:10pm »

;D ;DI know a little about it, I had it done 5 times and it never helped even slow them down.
     During the 3 hour drip over a 3 day period you are at about a kip 6 to 7 the entire time and I had full blown 9+'s about every hour also, it might work for some, but for me it was organized and controlled torcher
 Pappy
IP Logged
rick
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #6 on: Jun 12th, 2002, 12:23pm »

Thanks, Pappy.  I've heard of only two sufferers that have had some success with the treatment (the dude from the link I posted above plus another that came forward on the board a few months ago), but I remain skeptical of the "80%".

I would think that if there were such a high success rate, the treatment would be more readily available at other institutions.

-Rick
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss