Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 4:39am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « DHE ergotomine drip? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   DHE ergotomine drip?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: DHE ergotomine drip?  (Read 573 times)
justin
New Board Veteran
USA 

what it is...

jdo201
WWW Email

DHE ergotomine drip?
« on: Jun 6th, 2002, 1:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

what's with the 2 day hospital DHE ergotomine drip thing. work for people? side effects? problems, complications? i'm chronic. neuro suggested it. hate the steroids i'm on now for short term. think i might do the drip thing next weekend if they're still this bad. 4 kip8's' a day.

ugh
jd
IP Logged

if any clusterheads in NYC want to get together shoot me an email justinott@mac.com
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: DHE ergotomine drip?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 6th, 2002, 8:00pm »

Hi Justin.  It's probably best to ask your doctor, but here's some info I have.  It's not from personal experience, but maybe it will help answer some of your questions concerning IV DHE:

According to the book 'Headache Help' by Lawrence Robbins, M.D. and Susan S. Lang (paraphrased)... this treatment is relatively safe and very effective for preventing and relieving frequent or severe cluster headaches and may give relief for 1 to 8 months.  You may have to take antinausea medication and the treatment may be sedating.  

According to the book, the side effects (if any) usually last less than 1 hour and may include nausea, hot feeling, tightness in throat or chest, leg and muscle cramps, and temporary rise in blood pressure.
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
sanjay

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 7th, 2002, 5:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hi justin,

I'm chronic too. Last year I spend 1 week in the Hospital for the DHE (IV ). Works great. The CH's went away really fast. No side effects whatsoever, except that I had to have a anti-nausea shot before the DHE.  
Unfortunately for me, the CH's came back within 24 hrs. of returning home, although my Doc said that they CAN keep the beast away for much longer.

sanjay
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 7th, 2002, 10:32am »

Hey Justin - I've had ch's for over 22 years - cycle every Fall for a few months.  This year they started in October and it was a pretty bad cycle.  My meds included Verap, Prednisone, Keppra, Topomax, Maxalt, Zomig, Imitrex pills, and my FAVORITE Imitrex injections.  Nothing was stopping them so in January I went into the hopsital for a DHE IV.  I had to be totally med free for 24 hours prior so I was extremely nervous.  Went into the hospital and about 10 mins prior to my first dose I started w/ a CH and it went full blown prior to the time of my medicine.  Within a few moments I got total relife from that beast.  The meds made me extremely loopy  Shocked  very tired and sorta outta my head for a few days.  I was in there for 6 days total.  Had one break thru CH while in there due to wrong dosage (too low - nurse mistake) and after being discharged had 2 more CH's at home.  Came home w/ the DHE ampules and used them for those 2 ch's.  

That was my last CH - in mid January and i've been totally pain free since that time except for some minor twinges every now and then.  I decreased all my meds and April 18th was my last pill - now I'm totally med free too!   ;D

I believe strongly that the DHE worked for me.  I can tell you though I will not use it first for my next cycle - I will wait and try the other meds too.  It's expensive to stay in the hospital and the recovery time for me was a little long.

Good luck to you - keep me posted on your progress.  

NotH20
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss