Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 4:48am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Non-Dance Clusters? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Non-Dance Clusters?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Non-Dance Clusters?  (Read 355 times)
dydsi

Email

Non-Dance Clusters?
« on: Jun 4th, 2002, 12:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm new and curious. I've had clusters but are not familiar with the dance. These were dabilitating HA on left side. Hurt worse than when I riped off my big toe nail and that was a screamer!!! Q: Are my HA clusters, and my pain threshhold just higher? Q2: Could clusters at 10, feel like a say 6-8, if a worst one comes along? And, if so, is that what shadows are?
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Non-Dance Clusters?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 4th, 2002, 12:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The KIP scale is subjective to each individual. An 8 to one person may be a 6 to another.  

Shadows are down in the 2 to 4 range. It's like the music in a horror movie. You hear it building and know something is about to happen but just don't know what, when or how intense. Shadows can build very quickly from 1 right up through the scale to a full blown attack in a matter if minutes or may just hang around at a 2 - 3 level for hours at a time.

A KIP 10 is a trip to the ER. That's as bad as you can stand it. A KIP 10+ is a .38 caliber and so long cruel world.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 4th, 2002, 12:42pm »

Don'y worry about the dance part.  That phrase comes from some sufferers desire to be up and moving when one hits.

I never dance.  I always sit in a chair, ice bag on head and neck and remain still.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
rick
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #3 on: Jun 4th, 2002, 2:26pm »

Me too.  Holding still and relaxing (well, trying to anyway) is how I cope.
IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 4th, 2002, 5:29pm »

Don'y worry about the dance part.  That phrase comes from some sufferers desire to be up and moving when one hits.

I just hide from the other familymember in a chair with my oxygenmask and imitrex-shots until i get rellief.My wife wont daer to come near me under the battle against "General Cluster"

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 5th, 2002, 8:43am »

Hey dydsi.....it's great that you are curious - that way you can gain enough knowledge that will allow you to "assist" your docs in helping yourself.  I offer the following answers:

#1 - I'm a little confused - you say that you've had clusters before, but then are asking if you have CH.....was this diagnosed by a doc???? Take the cluster quiz on the left hand side and see if you better understand.  Everyone has a different threshold of pain and only you can say that you have a higher tolerance.  I've been in labor before for 25 hours straight and I'll take that over a ch ANY day of the week!

#2 - I consider the shadows like a "rumble"....in my case they don't last long until I'm in a full blown ch.  It's that little tap on your shoulder that says "hello - I'm here and I'm going to kick your butt for a while."  The dance is the constant movement that most of us do when in the middle of a ch.  We walk around, we pace, we rock, we mumble, we cry and even bang our heads at times.....and then we start it all over again.  For some it's a distraction from the pain for a only a few moments - for some it's the only thing that keeps us sane through the attack.

I wish you luck w/ your pain - hopefully you will find the right med combo for some relief.

NotH20
IP Logged
dydsi

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 5th, 2002, 9:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

noth20:

Doc says they sound like clusters. All I've read sounds familiar, the pain same time every day(around 2pm to about 7pm), one sided, dibilitating, shadows. Doc is also treating me for them. 2yrs with them before any one really had any ideas. Still confused(somewhat), they had me thinking it was all in my head for that time. I guess old habits die hard. I'll keep reading and hope all are PFDAN soon.

Thanks for more clarifacation.

David
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 5th, 2002, 9:45am »

Hey David - sounds like maybe you need to see an new doctor....below is a link off the OUCH website of recommended docs in your state (WOW there are 4).....

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/doctors.htm

Maybe one of them will be more helpful from the get-go......

Surely sounds like the beast has tagged you - don't let it get you down - you are much stronger!

NotH20
IP Logged
simpson1974
New Board Junior

« Reply #8 on: Jun 5th, 2002, 10:56am »

My shadows have a personality all their own.  One time, I'll have some shadows but not develop into a full-blown headache and I'll think, "Hey, my meds are kicking in!"  Then the next time... BAM!  Full blown headache very rapidly.  Then the next time... it will build slowly... taking several minutes... and I'll think, "Oh, yeah... it's nothing..." and then BAM!  Out of nowhere and I haven't used Imitrex yet and I'm suffering needlessly.  I'll tell you... the beast is right... it's a living thing.

As for "The dance," I used to sit still with mine... until they got worse.  I can if it's a fairly mild one, but I'm usually up pacing, banging my head, rocking back and forth... some kind of movement needed.  Either that or I just lie down on top of the air conditioning vent.  And then I move on to something else... then back and forth, back and forth to try something else that will work.  

I think it's more like a wrestling match instead of a dance.  Hardcore, flaming ladders and tables... possibly "arena engulfed in hellish" flames match...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss