Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 4:37am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « O2 - Cold Air - Hey Kip »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   O2 - Cold Air - Hey Kip
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: O2 - Cold Air - Hey Kip  (Read 267 times)
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

O2 - Cold Air - Hey Kip
« on: Jun 4th, 2002, 8:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Kip - you could have told them this:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
original: Cold room air inhalation to abort cluster headaches: an exploratory study
Martha Sue McLeod, Frank Andrasik, Russel C. Packard, Bayard D. Miller

Institute for Human and Machine Cognition, University of West Florida, 40 South Alcaniz Street, Pensacola, FL 32501, USA, e-mail: fandrasik@ai.uwf.edu, Tel.: +1-850-202-4460, Fax: +1-850-202-4440

Received: 2 May 2001 / Accepted in revised form: 7 November 2001

Abstract Research has shown that inhalation of pure oxygen is effective in aborting cluster headache. This article advances the hypothesis that cooling is the critical ingredient behind the effectiveness of oxygen inhalation, rather than the oxygen concentration. To test this hypothesis, eight cluster headache participants used a device that delivered cooled room air as a means to abort headache attacks. Additionally, six of the subjects administered pure oxygen so that comparisons could be made to the air-cooling device. The proportion of cases in which subjects attained effective relief from cluster headache pain by use of the air-cooling device was significantly higher than the proportion of cases in which subjects did not attain effective relief from headache pain. There was no significant difference between the proportion of headaches relieved by oxygen and the proportion of headaches relieved by the air-cooling device. This study raises questions about the mechanisms of action of oxygen inhalation for treating cluster headache, and indicates that future clinical investigations into the use of cold room air for treating cluster headache pain are warranted.  

IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Ueli

Email

Re: O2 - Cold Air - Hey Kip
« Reply #1 on: Jun 4th, 2002, 10:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well, I have no experience with cold room air but with cold outdoor air of around freezing temperature. I tried it on two occasions (1st when this current cycle [3.5 years and counting] started and once when some moron left the oxygen valve open for hours).

My experience: Cold air is better than nothing, but a very poor replacement for oxygen.

Ah yeah, until now I believed that oxygen rich blood helps to constrict the vessels, but people from an "Institute for Human and Machine Cognition" may know of another mechanism.
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Jun 4th, 2002, 12:44pm »

My experience:  

During the cold winter months a cold, dry wind in the face can bring on shadows.

But, when an attack wakes me  I go outside, stand barefoot on the cold cement patio and try to face into the cold wind and take deep breaths to help stop the attack.

Go figure!

Question: does cold air hold more oxygen than warm air?
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 4th, 2002, 12:47pm »

I would say yes.  the colder the temp, the closer the molecules are spaced.  So there would be more oxygen molecules in a given amout of air at a colder temp.

Hey Ueli, do you think your machine is cognizant of you?
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Ueli

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 4th, 2002, 10:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

For a given amount of gas and at constant pressure it holds V / T = const or r * T = const
(with V = volume, r = density and T = absolute temperature in °K or °R)

This means, cooling air from room temperature (20 °C) to 0 °C (freezing temp) the density increases by about 7%, but not only the oxygen but the nitrogen an the other stuff too.

But this increase in O2 concentration brings nothing: In the lung, where the gas exchanges occur, the air is warmed up to almost body temperature anyway, regardless of the outside conditions. So nothing can be gained in this way.   Sad
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss