Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:37pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Cluster Responds!! - The Journal Of Cranio..... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Cluster Responds!! - The Journal Of Cranio.....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cluster Responds!! - The Journal Of Cranio.....  (Read 497 times)
dannyboy
New Board Old Timer

Docs didn't design the machine they're working on

Email

Cluster Responds!! - The Journal Of Cranio.....
« on: Jun 4th, 2002, 2:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Cluster-like Signs and Symptoms Respond to Myofascial/Craniomandibular Treatment:  A Report of Two Cases  

Cheryl P. Vargo, D.D.S.;  David M. Hickman, D.D.S.

The Journal Of Cranio Mandibular Practice - 1996

Case Report # 1

A 47 year old male presented with a history of unilateral temporal headache pain of the left side with an episodic duration of five years.  Headaches would occur nightly approximately one hour after going to sleep and would last 45-90 minutes.  Episodes began as intense pain in the left temple and would radiate behind the left ear and eye.  These episodes would last for several weeks at a time followed by four to five months’ remission.  These symptoms were associated with ipsilateral autonomic signs of lacrimation and nasal congestion.  

The patient’s primary care physician, an internist, subsequently diagnosed the patient as having episodic cluster headaches.  

The decision was made to place a neuromuscular orthosis to correct the vertical dimension and establish a functional occlusion as previously described in “Materials and Methods”.  One week later the patient presented with complete resolution of all headache pain and associated symptoms.  The patient reported a more normal sleeping pattern and awakened feeling more rested in the morning.  

A re-evaluation at eight weeks post-insertion found the patient still totally symptom-free, and the decision was made to permanently position the mandible using an overlay partial denture.  The patient has been pain free for 25 months.

Case Report #2

A 50 year old female presented with a chief complaint of frequent monthly, right side temporal headache pain that would awaken her from sleep nightly and would last for approximately 90 minutes.  She was diagnosed by a neurologist as having primary chronic cluster headache in 1989.  This patient described her pain as a “feeling of tremendous pressure and pain like someone boring a hole through my head.”  She exhibited associated ipsilateral autonomic signs of lacrimation and rhinorrhea and complained of bilateral temporomandibular joint pain, difficulty in opening wide and pain upon mastication.  

While the patient was diagnosed by a neurologist as having cluster headaches (primary chronic) in 1989, she cannot remember at this time exactly what treatment was prescribed.  She did continue to suffer from the pain, which prompted her to seek further treatment.

At this time treatment for the craniomandibular disorder was initiated via construction of a neuromuscular orthosis for temporary occlusal reconstruction and occlusal stabilization.  Immediately after construction, the patient reported significant relief of the headache pain.  During the first post-insertion night, the patient was pain-free for the first time in several weeks.  For the next several days the patient suffered only two minor headaches for which she took acetaminophen and successfully relieved the pain.  Four days post-insertion the patient was admitted to the emergency room suffering acute esophageal spasm, for which nitroglycerine was administered.  The vasodilative effect of nitroglycerin immediately precipitated a cluster headache, a common clinical characteristic.  

Since this last episode this patient has remained virtually pain-free for 20 months with only occasional temporal head and posterior neck pain which is very mild in intensity.  This patient is presently stabilized on a permanent intraoral overlay orthosis.

----------------------

Happy Birthday Boob
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2002, 4:24am by dannyboy » IP Logged

Bedside manner is no substitute for a correct diagnosis - Bill Gates
Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Cluster Responds!! - The Journal Of Cranio....
« Reply #1 on: Jun 4th, 2002, 3:56am »

Thanks Danny. This is important for many people to read here. This website is for people with cluster headaches and not other types. And when it's put out there that you may not have CHs the response "Well, Dr. ____ says I do and here's his/her number if you want to debate the one person who (took a wild guess and was wrong) quacked this to me" is now in print with these two cases of doctors misdiagnosing. You won't find any form of relief here if you have something else. There are quite a number of people here posting who don't have CH nor are supporters of those who do (including Dannytoy who is just a salesman). So, danny-goy's article about someone who thought she had CHs but really didn't is quite welcome here as an intro to tell you all to find a place that might do you some good.
IP Logged
dannyboy
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 4th, 2002, 4:03am »

Aaah ... defender of the universe ... since when was your name Boob ... ?

Take Ueli, and Charlie, and Annemarie and Margi and go have another attempt at expelling me from OUCH instead of clogging the place with your ignorance.
IP Logged

Ted
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 4th, 2002, 4:28am »

I just changed my name. This seems to be a recurring question you get from your simplicity, but what the hell are you talking about?
 Ueli, Charlie, Annemarie and Margi (You really don't need so many "and"s in there) have you tried to remove Doofyboy from OUCH? Or is he (once again) talking out of his ass from some unsubstantiated assumptions like he usually does?
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 4th, 2002, 9:07am »

Two of the great realities of the Universe:

1.)  TMJ can be mistaken as CH by dumb doctors.

2.)  Episodic CH goes away for a while.

Dannyboy, on a personal note.  I've had my teeth ground down and my bite readjusted to stop my clusters.  Didn't help.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
ave

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 5th, 2002, 10:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well,  the Dutch headache patients' association (cluster headache section) has reported very little result from this measure.  

I quote Drs Ferrari and Haan (more understanding doctors in the field of cluster headaches  it would be hard to find in this country)

"The trend in some (medical) disciplines to ascribe poorly understood headaches to complaints of the mandibular system
has not yet been supported by any scientific research".

I could add "the trend in morally deficient people to keep pestering sufferers to do as THEYdecree, is I fear, only too wel documented"

Get a life, little boy.

IP Logged
dannyboy
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 6th, 2002, 8:01am »

Boob,

I understand that misdiagnosis is as close to pure evil as a clusterhead can get ... sorry that so many have lived through it.

Cranio mandibular science, in mho, is progressing at a way faster rate than neurology in the area of headaches (all of them). This is dispite the fact that lazy practitioners do not keep up to date with scientific progression... and hence the misdiagnosis and incorrect treatment, in some / many cases.

Although Occlusal adjustment, which is essentially what you're saying you had, is not the magic mushrooms of cranio mandibular science, it may very well be something worth checking in some cases. Sorry it didn't help.

Also TMJ relates only to the Temporo Mandibular Joint ("Jaw Joint" for all non presidents of OUCH) - we've got muscles, nerves, veins, arteries, and in Ted's case faecal matter up there too.  

I hear the problem with the episodics but what attracted me to the case reports was that one was chronic.

You ride a Hardley Dangerous ...? I could have guessed. Bet its one of 'em cars with two wheels. V MAX rules.

Annemarie....Dutch .... ? Aangename kennis!

Apparently the Dutch Patients Headache Association does not know everything about everything.  

Too bad for them.

Now where were we....? Aaah ... the battle of the journals ...  

CH.com message board ...

... A microcosm of the medical fraternity's lack of fraternity

And watch those adjectives young lady or I'll show you my penis
Dannyboy
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2002, 8:34am by dannyboy » IP Logged

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 6th, 2002, 9:02am »

Don't know who mentioned my Hawg, but it's a '92 Fatboy (the one Arnold rode in Terminator II)
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
rick
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #8 on: Jun 6th, 2002, 6:41pm »

ANYONE NEW TO THE BOARD READING THE ABOVE POSTS:  

1.  DANNY DOES NOT HAVE CH.  

2.  DANNY HAS CONSISTENTLY ANTAGONIZED A NUMBER OF REGULARS WHO FREQUENT THIS MESSAGE BOARD.  

3.  DANNY IS NOT PERCEIVED AS A CREDIBLE INDIVIDUAL AROUND HERE, AND HE'S NOT A DOCTOR.

4.  HE IS ATTEMPTING TO EXPLOIT CLUSTERHEADS FOR HIS OWN PERSONAL FINANCIAL GAIN.  

When are you going to figure it out D?
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2002, 6:41pm by rick » IP Logged
sailpappy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

sail_pappy   sailpappy1
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 6th, 2002, 8:59pm »

Dannyboy,
     It's very easy to cut and paste articles about TMJ-which is one of the first thoughts I had with my clusters, given the fact that they began after severe head trauma, then on to CHP, but the known cure and symptoms weren't the same and not born out to be either of these conditions,
     Any neurologist worth his weight in water checks these syndromes at the earliest onset of cluster symptoms, why don't you find a Dental site to cut and past this crap to as it relates to dental patients much more than cluster headaches!  Pappy Undecided
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss