Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 4:22am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « What should I suggest to my doc? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   What should I suggest to my doc?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What should I suggest to my doc?  (Read 246 times)
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

What should I suggest to my doc?
« on: Jun 3rd, 2002, 9:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm a chronic cluster sufferer.  I have major cycles in spring and fall, but have mini-cycles year round with no more than 2-3 weeks between cycle.

I finally found a neuro who understands clusters!

The problem is that I keep going into cycle and he is giving me prednisone to stop the cycle.  This works great, but, of course, he will not keep giving it to me indefinately.  He tried Verapomil and it didn't touch the cycle (and gave me stomach problems to boot).  

So, he has suggested a couple anti-seizure drugs, lithium, etc.  What would anyone suggest as something to try?  I tried depakote years ago and it did not help.

Thanks...Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
clusterdome

Email

Re: What should I suggest to my doc?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 4th, 2002, 1:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hey Mark,

When CCB's didn't work and I begged my regular Doc to let me get cut, the Neuro said ok BUT first try this. I had seen about six Neuros by then so I knew the program.
When he told me 160mg of Inderal LA I figured this sucker's nuts but if he'll cut me and I have an 80% chance I don't give a rat's ass, whatever! Just get the knive before I do!
It's been awhile so I'm guessing it was a week or so and my pain meds actually started to work. I was eating them and myself away back then. Now, 20 years later I don't take my pain meds for all my CH's like I did then, and when I do take them I don't need as many. I know me - and between one to three kick it out or down to a dealing point.  
I must tell you though it took quite some time to know when to take one, two or three and if I should walk or run to them. When a bad cycle hits and three don't cut it I up my beta blocker LA dose to 360mgs. It's ok with my Doc's and 'The Book' to do one every 12 hours if needed.  
I hope you find your answere my friend, soon!

PFDAN to ya.......................Ed
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Jun 4th, 2002, 8:15am »

Hey Mark,

A lot of people take verapimil with another med (lithium for example).  The two together have had success.  Maybe read up on these meds and give the verap another try?
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 4th, 2002, 10:08am »

Hey Mark - the only anti-seizure meds that I am familiar with are Keppra and Topomax.  I used both on my last cycle.  Keppra can be increased at a faster rate than the Topomax and that gives your body a "boost."  Both meds made me quite uneasy, dizzy and off balance.  The Topomax made me constantly second guess myself.

Have you tried a DHE IV treatment?  That in combination with the meds above stopped my last cycle in January and I've been pain free since then except for a few pains here and there - something I can DEFINITELY deal with smiling....   Cheesy

One more thing - as you know everyone gets relief from a variety of meds.  Just becuase Depakote didn't work for you years ago doesn't mean you should throw it out the window all together.  It just may work this time.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

NotH20
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 4th, 2002, 10:08am »

Mark,
Are you sure it was the Verapamil and not the Prednisone that gave you stomach problems?
Constipation is a common side effect of V. but I never heard about stomach troubles.
Also, remember it takes 1 to 2 weeks - at a high enough dose - for Verapamil to dampen or suppress the attacks. And the 'high enough' dose may go up to 920 mg / day.
PFNADs,
Ueli
IP Logged
simpson1974
New Board Junior

« Reply #5 on: Jun 4th, 2002, 10:44am »

Yeah, I think Verap. is fairly light on side effects, but Prednisone... it causes some wild stuff, and it definitely affects my stomach.  On it now... sheesh.

A combination of inderal (80 mg 2x daily) and neurontin (300 mg 3x daily) ended my last cycle, but wasn't helping my current one.  I'm on Depakote and inderal now, but no luck so far.  Then again, I haven't been taking it long enough to have too much luck.
IP Logged
ave

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 5th, 2002, 10:31am »

Here I go again, being disagreeable...

My stomach invariably reacts to constipation by giving me trouble.  
Vera constipates me and I won't complain, (would not dare) but my stomach does.  

IP Logged
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 5th, 2002, 1:16pm »

Yeah, the verapamil was definately the culporate.  What happened is that I had constipation for a couple days and then diarrhea for a few hours and start over.

Once I went off of it, the symptoms stopped.... The prednasone doesn't seem to give me any side effects at all.....

Maybe I should try neuroton with something else.  The neuronton helped until I had to up it way high.... maybe a combo of neuronton and something else...
I'll talk to my dr.

Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss