Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:43pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « prednisone »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   prednisone
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: prednisone  (Read 341 times)
claudiamoore

Email

prednisone
« on: May 30th, 2002, 8:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I took 16,000 millagrams of prednisone through a wrong prescription. I took it orally in January 2001 over a 14 day period.  Since then I have had postier uveitis, floaters flashers, macular puckers in both eyes, 6 retina tears and holes (laser repaired), and now my disc to cup ratio is 7. Necular medicine showed damage in every area of my body. Blood in my urine. I feel this all has to do with the massive dose of steroids. I have cushing syndrom. No one in my town knows what to do or much about steroids induced ocular problems. Is this something anyone can help me with? Any steriod experts?  I took more prednisone than has ever been taken in history.  Any suggestions?
Claudia

IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Re: prednisone
« Reply #1 on: May 30th, 2002, 8:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yes.

Before taking any prescription, look it up in one of the on-line pharmacology sites for normal doses and drug interactions.  I've caught my neurologist prescribing multiple medications that are not supposed to be taken at the same time.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #2 on: May 30th, 2002, 9:00am »

Claudia - Man on man sounds like you've had a rough time - my heart goes out to you   Cry   You said it was a "wrong prescription"  did you mean that either your doc or the pharmacist mixed something up?  If so, sounds like you could have some sort of legal battle on your hands.

Unfortunately I don't have any extensive knowledge on such massive dosages of Prednisone.  I know that it's an extremely dangerous medication and needs to be tappered off - but I had NO idea that it could do all that you have described  Shocked

Do some extensive research on this board and on the OUCH board - maybe someone else out there took high dosages also.  

Our thoughts and prayers are with you - we are here for you any time you need us.

Keep the faith -
NotH20
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 30th, 2002, 8:48pm »

Wow!! Shocked  All I can say is that prednisone scares the hell out of me.  Last time I tried a normal dose (for a tough bronchial infection) I had problems moving my arms and legs... they became very very very sore.  After that experience I want to never take prednisone.
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: May 31st, 2002, 6:48am »

Yes.  

Before taking any prescription, look it up in one of the on-line pharmacology sites for normal doses and drug interactions

Svenn
IP Logged

The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: May 31st, 2002, 6:51am »

Normal doze is to start with 80mg /day for 10 days and then step down to 60-40-30-10 over a 2-3 weks periode

Svenn
IP Logged

MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #6 on: May 31st, 2002, 4:12pm »

Wow!  I am so sorry....

I don't know anything about the conditions that you have now....

That is very scarey.

I'm on my second course of prednisone in a month now.
I was on some for about 10 days... no clusters, but as soon as the dose decreased, the clusters returned!  

My Dr. tried verapamil for 10 days with no help (and gave me horrible stomache problems).

So, started roids again yesterday.  40 for 10 days, 30 for 10, 20 for 10, 10 for 10, and 5 for 10.

It is the only preventative med that works for me.

Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
justin
New Board Veteran
USA 

what it is...

jdo201
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: May 31st, 2002, 8:02pm »

very scary. so sorry for you. normal dose is 80mg. i take 20mg! and it works fine. side effects are brutal. i was taking a high dose of dexamethasone for a month and developed cushing syndrom, but it went away a week after i weened of. sorry. good luck. sue some one

jd
IP Logged

if any clusterheads in NYC want to get together shoot me an email justinott@mac.com
malcolm

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 6th, 2002, 9:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I took 60mg of Prednisolone and within 12 hours became absolutely manic. I was unable to sleep for 2 nights and my brain was permanently going all the time despite being completely exhausted. At the end I was hallucinating and had to be knocked out with sedatives. For me prednisolone was more scary, more unpleasant and worse than the CHs and I had some major ones for the previous two nights.  

If you have this reaction it is known as "steroid psychosis". It is VERY frightening. Call your Dr to say what is happening and do not take the next day's preds as it takes 2 days to wear off.

I feel very sorry for you if your medication has induced more permanent side effects becasue at least this wore off.
IP Logged
Sweet_Landings
New Board Veteran

Beware of the Dumb side of the Force!

SweetLandings
Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 6th, 2002, 11:15am »

Claudia,  
So sorry to hear of your pain and troubles.  My husband has been on Prednisone for over 8 years now, low dose of 5-10 mg daily.  However, about once a year he goes blind from MS and when that happens we do use extremely high doses over short periods thru an IV.  3grams given over a 72 hour period via IV.  The only side effects that result from this treatment are severe mood swings, insomnia, hyper-activity, rapid pulse rate, and the return of his vision.

I don't know what to tell you other than what others have said, always research the medication and dosages before you use them.  If this was the result of a mistake on the part of the dr. or pharmacist, Not4Hire is right, you have a lawsuit.

I certainly hope that you will be able to return to normal soon. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
IP Logged

Sweet_Landings
rick
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #10 on: Jun 6th, 2002, 7:07pm »

Claudia

Whoa!  I'm really sorry to hear that, as well as being disgusted that someone could make such a ridiculous mistake.
Please talk to a lawyer.  For your own sake and before someone else is hurt by this individual.

-Rick

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss