Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 4:45am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « new to site/medications »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   new to site/medications
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: new to site/medications  (Read 282 times)
DrLisa

Email

new to site/medications
« on: May 30th, 2002, 1:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm thrilled to find this site. 45 yo w/onset of headaches in my teens and pattern became typical of clusters about 20 years ago. I get a bout every couple of years, lasting 2-3 weeks, with episodes up to 8 times in each 24 hours, the usual day-and-night-but-hell-at-night pattern. Went 3 YEARS without any CH, then started again in early April, now going into the 8th week and I'm getting psycho. Had 2 weeklong bursts of oral steroids, which aborted the attacks, but the CH returned within 48 hrs of stopping steroids both times. Got into the usual 2 shots of imitrex a day (my savior) and fiorinal in between, to the point where I was either clustering or rebounding pretty much around the clock, and of no use at work or at home. Got admitted 10 days ago for IV decadron, got 2 dayys of that then home on 60 a day of prednisone again, x 12 days, now tapering. I am totally a head case from the steroids not to mention looking like the Michelin Man. Not sleeping, having bizarre "steroid dreams" (could write a screenplay every time I wake up). I've also been started on BACLOFEN by my neurologist - he says it was brought up at a meeting just about a month ago as being promising for aborting a cluster series and subsequently preventing them.  
Has anybody out there had any experience with BACLOFEN? Am I the first guinea pig?
Anybody who can commisserate with the craziness of being on several weeks of high dose prednisone?  
I don't mind if you doctor-bash but should probably tell you I'm a pediatrician (not a neurologist!) and not all of us docs are unsympathetic and uncaring.  
I'm really impressed with the website and the mutual suport, and I'm glad I found you. Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts...
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2002, 1:31am by DrLisa » IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: new to site/medications
« Reply #1 on: May 30th, 2002, 6:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Lisa, Welcome to the family and sorry your here.  I am sorry to hear you are being hit so hard.  I usually get 8 ha a day everyday so it doesn't sound like you are rebounding to me.  But you know your body best.  Trust your instincts.  If you do a search on Baclofen you should find it in the archives.  You are not the first person to be put on this.  There have been various people throughout the year or so.  I am chronic so I have no experience in taking steriods.  If you need an ear feel free to email me at karlak_13@lycos.com.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #2 on: May 30th, 2002, 8:32am »

Hey Lisa - you have come to the right spot.  Sorry to hear that you are in such pain - but keep the faith for brighter days ahead.

I'm sorry, but I have no knowledge of Baclofen...but I agree with Karla - search this board and the OUCH board and you will find a great deal of information.

I have done the steroid dance way too many times.  If you need assistance in writing that screen play during my next cycle - I'll be happy to help   Wink

Have you tried DHE at all?  I was hospitalized for 6 days with a DHE IV back in January - after my discharge  I only had 2 ch's at home and have been pain free ever since except for some minor shadows   ;D

Good luck to you.......
NotH20
IP Logged
ahlevis

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 30th, 2002, 12:58pm »

hey Lisa...have never taken Bacofen.... if iit works let us know.... as far as doc bashing....I don't hate 'um just have figured for the most part have no fing idea..... as far as a screen play I'm game Metamorphises was written durring headache cycle.... who knows....
IP Logged
Linda T
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 30th, 2002, 3:09pm »

Dear Lisa:  Sorry you're in pain.  You've found the best place to answer all of your questions.  Never been on the baclofen but I have been on pred.  This cycle I was on 2 15 day courses.  The first one helped the second did not.  I think the course was too short to actually feel any of the freaky side effects though.

During one of my previous cycles I was on a 30 day course of pred.  That was freaky.  Very wired.  Only slept about 3-4 hours per night (even though I didn't get any ch).  Wanted to do all sorts of things at 3:00a.m.  Like bake x-mas cookies, wash curtains and all of that stuff that you NEVER feel like doing.  Bad dreams.  Moodiness (read: Bitch).  I was very glad when the course of pred was over.

Keep us posted on the baclofen.  Wishing you PFDAN always, Linda T.
IP Logged

What a long, strange trip it's been!
simpson1974
New Board Junior

« Reply #5 on: May 30th, 2002, 9:55pm »

Yes, please keep us posted on the baclofen.  That's one I haven't heard of.  I was only diagnosed a handfull of years ago, and I've taken the standard stuff... I'm on prednisone again, myself, as of today.  Luckily never had any crazy side effects from it... just a severe case of eating everything in site, but that's pretty much the norm for me, anyway.    Smiley

Trying Depakote for the first time as of today, as well, so hoping it works for me.  Hope the baclofen does the same for you.
IP Logged
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: May 31st, 2002, 1:16am »

Hi doc,
I was on baclofin years ago for my clusters. Sorry to say it didn't do a thing for me.
Now, if your neurologist had mentioned psilocybin as a new breakthrough possibility, I would have been impressed as his (her) keeping up with the latest info.  

Clusters are a very specialized malady and I believe that about the same percentage of GP's are experts on  clusters as neurologists. JMHO.

Good luck
You want dreams? Try high doses of methadone AND prednisone at the same time!!! I was writing screenplays (and starring in them) while I was *awake.*

Shocked
Pink
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
SwordAssembly
New Board Newbie

Care for a Little BRAIN SALAD SURGERY?

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 31st, 2002, 1:32am »

BACLOFEN,
Been there, done that
didn't do squat...
Welcome Doc

John
aka
SwordAssembly
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2002, 1:33am by SwordAssembly » IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Jun 3rd, 2002, 8:13am »

Hi Lisa,

sorry your having a hard time this cycle.  Never tried the baclofen (sp) but you and me and the entire town of clusterville could easily write a television weekly series on the adventures of prednisone............. Shocked  Prednisone:  the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly LOL!  What is WITH that balloon face syndrome?  I personally was like "Cybil" with "Cerebal Palsy" on pred. ;D

have to agree with you that this website is GOLD!  Keep reading and researching around, your bound to get great info and insight on both dealing with and treating your clusters.

Keep posted on the balcofen - let us know.
Smiles and Well wishes, Kim
IP Logged
clusterdome

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 3rd, 2002, 6:55pm »

Welcome Doc,

I don't believe you're going to get doc-bashed here.  At least no more then anyone else that is. Wink  
Expect help, support, understanding, new friends that seem like old friends, and a good Doctor joke or two or three or four or more you might like to pass on.    
I did or tried steroids to break my cycles alot. My Doc and I don't go there any more. If anything, they made mine worst. Either higher on the KIP or in frequency. My ears got fat! The suckers made me bigger 'almost' (damn shame) everywhere. I also became stranger than I was/am already - - - -Steven King stuff like, "I'm baaack!"  
Never did the others. Like everyone else, I'd like to hear how it goes for you and wish you luck. I'm sorry but happy you found us. Welcome aboard!

PFDAN...........................Ed
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss