Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:38pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « KEPPRA? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   KEPPRA?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: KEPPRA?  (Read 858 times)
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

KEPPRA?
« on: May 24th, 2002, 11:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Found out i was having a toxic reaction to depakote...my neuro put me on Keppra...i am her gunea pig....well, atleast she is trying....started on 500mg...moved up to 1,000mg...she wants me on 2,000mg...chs are still here but with all the stuff going on in my life rite now, i would be shocked that they left LOL....has anyone else tried it? so far, I have not had an side effects except it makes me drowsy at nite...also, on verap 480mg, remeron, doxepin...
IP Logged
Ann
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Annage

Email

Re: KEPPRA?
« Reply #1 on: May 25th, 2002, 8:32am »

Nancy, hope this its the one that actually works!  
Thinking ofyou!
hugs
IP Logged
erik
New Board Junior
Canada 

figthing the mother off all battles.

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 29th, 2002, 3:08pm »

nancy keppra is like topomax it is supposed to have less side effects i still have a almost full bottle sitting in my cabinet 500mg capsules they never did work for me and made me extremly dizzie also seemed to really increase my bloodpressure had to go to emerg to getmy bloodpressure back under control and was taken of them rite away.my sister who is the head nurse in a critical care hospital in the netherlands told me that it is actually used to control bloodpressure . hope it will work for you but be carefull. PFDAN ERIK.
IP Logged
dlou

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 29th, 2002, 3:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My daughter is on Keppra.  It is a fairly new anti-seizure drug.  Her ha have improved, but she is experiencing some side effects (insomnia, very emotional), and she and dr are trying to eliminate one drug at a time to determine where the side effects are coming from--not sure if it is the Keppra.  She is also on Verapamil and Welbutrin.  She eliminated Lithium yesterday.  No improvement yet.
Good luck to you.  I hope Keppra is the answer for you!
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 29th, 2002, 4:03pm »

Have upped my keppra to 1500mg along with the other meds...having break throughs...got a call into my neuro....keep your fingers crossed...if this does not work, she wants to do pain management...perfect solution for an RN, rite?  That would certainly end my career....thanks for all the responses and well wishes...Erik, my fingers are crossed for you too on your new meds, bro...love you guys.
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #5 on: May 30th, 2002, 9:19am »

Hello Nancy - sure is good to see you posting again.  I hope that things have settled down for you.

I was on Keppra my last cycle - I called it my "drunk" pill.  It made me very dizzy and confused at times.  I'm not sure it actually had any part in breaking my cycle, but I know that it did reduce some of the pain.

Good luck w/ the meds.....hope you feel better soon.

See you in August, Mia     ;D
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 30th, 2002, 4:28pm »

Neuro called today wanting me to go from 1500 mg to 3000mg of keppra today  but i refused...I can hardly stay awake on the 1500mg..and am returning to work saturday...she is not very happy with me...but i did not know what else to do... Embarassed  I am breaking out again on my upper chest and neck but did not tell her this...I guess my liver is having trouble metabolising this drug too...was scared she would take me off of it and then i would have nothing...still having breakthrus but atleast i am not getting hit 4 to 5 times a day...thanks for your support.
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2002, 4:30pm by nancyc » IP Logged
erik
New Board Junior
Canada 

figthing the mother off all battles.

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 30th, 2002, 5:49pm »

good for you nancy did you tell her that you wanted to see a pain mngmnt doc. after talking to you last night I am concerned about you. who cares if she is mad at you  
she isnt the one living with all of the side effects that these drugs are causing . I am confident that there is a solution around the corner for you.   keep the faith i am praying for you. pf to you and every person in pain. ERIK
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: May 30th, 2002, 8:13pm »

She is calling me back tomorrow...to check on me...wish me luck...don't know what to do rite now...just trying to hang in here and see if this stuff will kick in....
IP Logged
SwordAssembly
New Board Newbie

Care for a Little BRAIN SALAD SURGERY?

Email

« Reply #9 on: May 30th, 2002, 8:48pm »

My Prayers are with you nancy, may God lift you up and strengthen you and remember He is always with you.

John
aka
SwordAssembly
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: May 30th, 2002, 9:06pm »

Thanks bro...Prayer has gotten me thru alot of my life...you guys are in mine daily too...
IP Logged
maria

Email

« Reply #11 on: May 30th, 2002, 9:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Nancy, I may have missed something but what were the results of the sleep apnea studies? Maria
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: May 31st, 2002, 8:08am »

Everything was ok...she has not even said anymore about me "having the most narrow airway she has ever seen."  Sometimes I think once you leave a neuro's office, they forget who you are...LOL..I did up my keppra last nite to 2000mg and had the worst ch I have had in a long time..go figure.....
IP Logged
SwordAssembly
New Board Newbie

Care for a Little BRAIN SALAD SURGERY?

Email

« Reply #13 on: May 31st, 2002, 8:13am »

nancyc do you think detoxing might help, I know you talked about the rash and everything? Have you ever considered Lithium? Just a thought...

John
aka
SwordAssembly
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: May 31st, 2002, 8:20am »

was thinking about detoxing last nite..but then i got hit really bad about 45 minutes after i went to sleep...i return to work tomorrow...so i am afraid to stop taking my meds for fear i will get hit really bad....i can not do Lithium because of other health problems i have ....
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: May 31st, 2002, 11:07am »

my neuro just called...said i have to double the dose of keppra..to take 4,000mg..and said i could not return to work until i adjust to the dose because i cant function at that high of a dose as a nurse...i had to call my boss..he was real understanding and promised i wont lose my job because of this..all i could do is cry when i was talking to him..I am about to lose my mind here alone with nothing to do ...she is having me also see pain management in a month..
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #16 on: Jun 3rd, 2002, 8:19am »

WOW Nancy - 4000 mg per day   ???

I was only on 1/2 of that and thought I was gonna walk sideways for the rest of my life.  My thoughts and prayers are with you - may you find some peaceful moments until you return to work.

Keep the faith - things WILL turn around for you.

NotH20
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jun 3rd, 2002, 6:26pm »

Sorry you're having such a rough time Nancy.  I'm glad your boss is understanding.  I'm pulling for you.
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jun 3rd, 2002, 7:35pm »

Thanks guys for your support.  Not h2o, I am not walking much lol.Cant even walk sideways lol..i can barely stay awake and sleep alot...I have only had to take two imitrex shots in the last 24 hours so I am grateful for that.  I was ready to go back to work...think that will help alot with the depression but they wont let me unless my neuro releases me and she wont.  I do appreciate all the thoughts and prayers and will be glad when i can come back and help support you guys...dont feel like I have much to offer anyone rite now on all the meds I am on.  God bless.
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #19 on: Jun 3rd, 2002, 9:00pm »

Hey Nancy - now you better stop that!  What do you mean you feel as if you have nothing to offer this group   ???

Next time you feel that way, just check out the bottom of your postings ....."smile, cause that is why God made us...to make the world a brighter place".....it's time for Nurse Nancy to take a dose of her own medicine!    Grin

Walk sideways, walk upside down - just keep on walking girl.

Keep the faith,
NotH20
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #20 on: Jun 3rd, 2002, 9:06pm »

Now Nancy - don't you even go there.  What do you mean that you feel you have nothing to offer this group   ???

The next time you are feeling that way maybe you should check out the bottom of your postings....

"smile, cause that is why God made us...to make the world a brighter place"

UH OH folks - it's time for Nurse Nancy to take a dose of her own medicine!   ;D

Walk sideways, walk upside down, just keep on walking girl!!!

Keep the faith,
NotH20
IP Logged
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #21 on: Jun 3rd, 2002, 9:31pm »

oh Nancy... I'm so sorry!

I know how horrible the clusters are, but having meds that make you sick on top of it just sucks.

I'm praying for you...  
The job thing sucks... I have had issues in the past with employers not knowing what to do with my clusters.  They usually tried to understand, but I felt horrible about it all.

We shouldn't have to live with pain and then fear of losing our jobs and not having enough meds.

Hang on.... We're here for you!
Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jun 6th, 2002, 9:48am »

Keppra now upped to 4,000 mg...along with the other meds...had some shadows yesterday but two days pf..no full blown attacks.  Unfortunately , like alot of the antiseizure drugs, you get depression and I sleep alot...hopiing to adjust to these side effects ...
IP Logged
Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jun 6th, 2002, 9:23pm »

Hi Nancy,

I hope the side effects go away. I was on topamax(and verapamil) and at 100mg a day I got very depressed. I was worried but hung in there and after a week it was much better. I did have major fatigue though..so if keppra is somewhat like topamax..I did have to nap daily while on it but still tired. But the nap helped. Personally, I think we each know our body best and when you feel you need to lower the dose or stop it, call the doc. My doc tried to increase my verap. from 360mg to 480 mg a day but it made me sick. My doc was convinced the verap. wouldn't do that to me, and I said..oh yes it was. I refused to up the dose. Sometimes we know what our own body can handle. I hope the meds work for you though!
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Psalm 23:4 ~ Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jun 6th, 2002, 9:37pm »

Thanks sis...wondering tonite if i need to keep being a gunea pig for chs meds...which is worse...depression with or without chs? LOL...got alot of praying to do before i decide though...thanks for your support...keep up the good fight. You help me go on.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss