Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 3:41am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapamil... Neurontin... what next? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapamil... Neurontin... what next?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapamil... Neurontin... what next?  (Read 254 times)
simpson1974
New Board Junior

Verapamil... Neurontin... what next?
« on: May 22nd, 2002, 8:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have suffered with cluster headaches for about 12 years now.  Once I finally found out what they were through a doctor who knew his stuff, I was placed on verapamil & prednisone.  Prednisone helped abort the cycle the first time I took it and verapamil kept them under control.  Verapamil worked for me through two cycles but stopped working, even with increased dosage, later on.  Prednisone also lost its effectiveness.  This was two years ago when I had the worst cycle I ever had.  A neurontin/inderal combo knocked the headaches two years ago cold.  I mostly took the neurontin alone, and it seemed to be effective.

Now, two years later, I'm taking the same combination at the same dosage, and it's not working anymore.  I am taking imitrex injections now, but I, too, am in a hard place with my insurance, who will only pay for 2 every 10 days.  I'm down to one injection with a full week to go before I get another prescription.

I'm going to my doctor tomorrow, and I'm wondering... what should I try next?  I seem to know more about clusters than my current doctor, which is usually the case, so I can usually talk her into prescribing something for me.  Where should I go from here?

I also tried oxygen early on, and that has never helped me.  I must have something to block these, as I don't want to rely on imitrex.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: Verapamil... Neurontin... what next?
« Reply #1 on: May 22nd, 2002, 3:01pm »

You may want to try zomig or amerge instead or imitrix.  They are in the same class of family.  Or you could try migranol ns.  As a preventative  Maybe try topamax or depakote, lithium, Sansert, there are other beta blockers and calcium channel blockers you can try besides vepramil and propranol such as Procardia, Nimotop.  Some people have had luck with antidepressents also and tried zoloft, paxil, effexor, celexa, amitriptaline etc.  Where you start is up to you.  Good luck and praying for you to have pain free days.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: May 22nd, 2002, 5:11pm »

Hi Simpson,

You say you tried the o2 early on.  Early on in THIS instance or just early on like years ago........?

look through the info on the buttons to the left and find CURRENT 02 treatments.  02 was delivered to my house about ten years ago with this plug thing that DID NOT WORK!!!  Better ways to use o2.  Need non-rebreather mask and specific flow rates....Check it out.
also, for preventative many folks here use a combo of verapimil and lithium...gotta find the right dose for YOU.
I used (only for this past cycle) Neurontin.  Cycle was SHORTER......I really don't know why and am not askin too many questions right now cuz cycle is over....BUT, from past experience and also from talking to the folks around here,I can tell ya what works sometimes don't always work the next....
Hang in and best of luck to you.
Kim
IP Logged
simpson1974
New Board Junior

« Reply #3 on: May 22nd, 2002, 9:53pm »

Thank you for your replies.  I am going tomorrow to discuss this with my doctor.  I hope I can find something... I just don't know what else to do.

As for the oxygen, I might check into it again.  It has been... let's see... about 7 years or so.
IP Logged
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #4 on: May 23rd, 2002, 7:41am »

For my money, and I'm a cheap SOB, the best preventative is one your doctor probably doesn't know about and certainly won't prescribe.

Check out the current thread in this forum "shroom update."
These folks are describing the effect of psilocybin mushrooms on stubborn cases of CH. For some lucky clusterheads they work like magic...a small dose or two can wipe out an entire cycle.  

Try these these links:
http://www.headachesupportgroups.com/shrooms/index.htm
- for lots of information on using psilocybin mushrooms to treat clusters, and:
http://www.headachesupportgroups.com/shrooms/2000.htm
- posts to the old message board where folks relate their experiences with using "shrooms."

Do all the reading and research - there are things to know, and shrooms aren't to be taken lightly. Some common CH meds can interfere with their effectiveness; others will enhance the psychoactive effects Shocked  Those with mental instability should probably avoid psychedelic drugs.  

And since they are illegal in most countries, there is no formal research on shrooms as treatment. So if you try them, please give us a detailed report. This message board is the only "research institute" looking into this. Everything we know has been posted here at one time or another.  

Flash (who discovered this) and Pinksharkmark are our resident experts. Ask a question and they are likely to show up to help you out.
IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
simpson1974
New Board Junior

« Reply #5 on: May 23rd, 2002, 8:46am »

I found it kind of ironic when I logged onto the board and found the threads on mushroom therapy.  I just told my wife the previous day that I would snort cocaine if it would get rid of them, and I've never consumed an illegal drug in my life.  Those who don't understand the pain of cluster headaches cannot understand the temptation to do ANYTHING to get rid of them.

Even though I'm in the middle of a bad cycle, I've had worse.  If I can get my insurance company to give me more imitrex and if I can find something to block these, then I should be all right.  However, mushroom therapy is something I can't say I wouldn't consider looking into if things were much worse.  

I feel for those of you who have more attacks and worse pain than I do.  I don't know how you live with it.  If mine were much worse, I don't know what I would do.  If I ever have another cycle like the one from hell I had two years ago, I don't know what will happen...
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: May 23rd, 2002, 11:16am »

Actually, cocaine is effective for some.  It numbs some nerve located in the back of the schnoz.  Same application as lidocaine drops or nasal spray.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Mattso

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 23rd, 2002, 11:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

"what works sometimes don't always work the next.... "

Ain't that the truth!

The only drug I've tried that you haven't (and that worked) is Lithium. Who knows, could be worth a try? I think Sansert was probably one of the worst drugs I ever tried, and personally would not recommend it.

Have you tried the Imitrex tip detailed on the buttons at the left? It saved me a lot of bux last time around.

I also agree that O2 may be worth checking into again using rebreather, etc.

If you ever have another cycle like the one from hell you had two years ago.....wouldn't that be the time to consider shrooms? Actually, I guess you'd want to have a jump on it, and have the shrooms ready to go before the cycle starts. I'm not a recreational drug user either, but this approach seems to me like almost a no brainer, or at least worth some serious researching.
IP Logged
simpson1974
New Board Junior

« Reply #8 on: May 23rd, 2002, 12:43pm »

I almost suggested lithium today at the doctor's office, but thought better of it.  I think that might be the next step.  Today she increased my dosage of neurontin from 900 to 1200 mg daily.  I am still on inderal, and she prescribed something else... I'll post it once the prescription is filled because I can't remember what it was and my wife has the prescription.  It starts with an "A" but I don't remember.  She also called in some Midrin (spelling?) as an abortive drug, but it's a pill and I'm a bit skeptical.  She said it worked for her migraines in 15-20 minutes, but we'll see.  I just had a relatively mild freakin' rebound headache from an imitrex injection this morning that a vicodin didn't even touch.  

As for the imitrex tip, yes I did try it.  It worked like a charm.  I did it for the first time this morning... probably took 3-4 mg instead of 2, but it worked.  Took care of my headache just as quickly and left me 2-3 mg for another attack.  

As for shrooms, I will be looking at more and more stuff on the net.  If I ever get another cycle as bad as the one two years ago, I'll do anything to take care of it.

Thanks to all who have replied so far!  I really appreciate it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss