Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:33pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Methocarbamol(Robaxin) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Methocarbamol(Robaxin)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Methocarbamol(Robaxin)  (Read 919 times)
don

Email

Methocarbamol(Robaxin)
« on: May 18th, 2002, 7:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Methocarbamol  
Methocarbamol (Robaxin)  
Methocarbamol  
(meth-oh-KAR-bah-mohl) Robaxin Robaxin Injectable Robaxin-750 (Rx)  

Classification: Centrally acting muscle relaxant  

See Also: See also Skeletal Muscle Relaxants, Centrally Acting.  

Action/Kinetics: Beneficial effect may be related to the sedative properties of the drug. Has no direct effect on the contractile mechanism of striated muscle, the motor endplate, or the nerve fiber and it does not directly relax tense skeletal muscles. Of limited usefulness. May be given IM or IV in polyethylene glycol 300 (50% solution). PO therapy should be initiated as soon as possible. Onset: 30 min. Peak plasma levels: 2 hr after 2 g. t1/2: 1-2 hr. Inactive metabolites are excreted in the urine.  

Uses: Adjunct for the relief of acute, painful musculoskeletal conditions (e.g., sprains, strains). Adjunct in tetanus.  

Contraindications: Hypersensitivity, when muscle spasticity is required to maintain upright position, seizure disorders, pregnancy, lactation, children under 12 years. Renal disease (parenteral dosage form only since it contains polyethylene glycol 300).  

Special Concerns: Use with caution in epilepsy and during lactation. Use the injectable form with caution in suspected or known epileptics.  

Side Effects: Following PO use. CNS: Dizziness, drowsiness, lightheadedness, vertigo, lassitude, headache. GI: Nausea. Miscellaneous: Allergic symptoms including rash, urticaria, pruritus, conjunctivitis, nasal congestion, blurred vision, fever. Following IV use (in addition to the preceding). CV: Hypotension, bradycardia, syncope. CNS: Fainting, mild muscle incoordination. Miscellaneous: Metallic taste, GI upset, flushing, nystagmus, double vision, thrombophlebitis, sloughing or pain at injection site, anaphylaxis.  

Laboratory Test Alterations: Color interference in 5-HIAA and VMA.  

Overdose Management: Symptoms: CNS depression, including coma, is often seen when methocarbamol is used with alcohol or other CNS depressants. Treatment: Supportive, depending on the symptoms.  

Drug Interactions: Central nervous system depressants (including alcohol) may  the effect of methocarbamol.  

How Supplied: Injection: 100 mg/mL; Tablet: 500 mg, 750 mg  

Dosage
•Tablets Skeletal muscle disorders.  
Adults, initial: 1.5 g q.i.d. for the first 2-3 days (for severe conditions, 8 g/day may be given); maintenance: 1 g q.i.d., 0.75 g q 4 hr, or 1.5 g t.i.d.
•IM, IV Skeletal muscle disorders.  
Adults, usual initial: 1 g; in severe cases, up to 2-3 g may be necessary. IV administration should not exceed 3 days.
Tetanus.  
Adults: 1-2 g IV, initially, into tube of previously inserted indwelling needle. An additional 1-2 g may be added to the infusion for a total initial dose of 3 g. May be given q 6 hr (up to 24 g/day may be needed) until PO administration is feasible. Pediatric, initial: 15 mg/kg given into tube of previously inserted indwelling needle. Dose may be repeated q 6 hr.

Copyright © 2001 Delmar, A division of Thomson Learning - All Rights Reserved
IP Logged
Sweet_Landings
New Board Veteran

Beware of the Dumb side of the Force!

SweetLandings
Email

Re: Methocarbamol(Robaxin)
« Reply #1 on: May 21st, 2002, 12:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I posted this over in the General area but thought it couldn't hurt to post it here too.

Robaxin reacts severely with Carbamazepine.  I can say this from experience.  I realize that most CHers are not taking carbamazepine, but I remember mention of it recently.  (I am too tired to go and look for when and what the reference of mention was.) ???

It caused severe nausea and vomiting and disorientation in my case.  Very bad.  I would not want anyone else to experience that.

« Last Edit: May 21st, 2002, 12:11am by Sweet_Landings » IP Logged

Sweet_Landings
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss