Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 4:52am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « can u help....how much nasal spray?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   can u help....how much nasal spray??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: can u help....how much nasal spray??  (Read 339 times)
Alison

Email

can u help....how much nasal spray??
« on: May 16th, 2002, 3:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi everyone,
     I've been cluster free for one year...had almost begun to breath out...but just when I was beginning to relax.......bang! it hit me....
This has been ten days now and going from past experience i know i have another 3 weeks to go...the thing is each day is becoming worse and worse.

The doc gave me imigran nasal spray which did seem to be working but as the pain is becoming worse i worry i am taking more than the recommended 2 a day sprays....can i overdose on this?? what is a safe amount to take...i cant get by on 2 a day...can i take more??
Please someone answer me back as soon as poss...i cant bear the thought of another 2am attack and not being able to take another nasal spray as i have already taken two sprays today
thanks
Alison
IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

Re: can u help....how much nasal spray??
« Reply #1 on: May 16th, 2002, 4:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Wish I could help you out, but I do not have any experience with this med.  I'm positive someone will reply with sound advise.
Welcome to the site Alison.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

Alison

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 16th, 2002, 4:17pm »

thanks echo....think I will just hang around here for a while.....didnt there used to be a chat room on here...i cant seem to get to it...alll it has is a grey box at the bottom of the screen.
IP Logged
johnrudd
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 16th, 2002, 4:24pm »

Did you happen to misspell  and meant Imitrex?
If so, I've used 4-5 doses per 24 hr period with absolutely no side effects. The NS takes about twice as long to abort as the injection for me 8 mins vs 4 mins.
If this is any help great.
John
IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: May 16th, 2002, 4:27pm »

Alison,  I get the same grey box at the bottom of mine also.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Alison

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 16th, 2002, 4:27pm »

no spelt correct.....Imigran - sumatriptan, if this helps. I am in the UK maybe different?
IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: May 16th, 2002, 4:29pm »

Hey Alison,  Are you trying to get out from behind a Firewall?
IP Logged

Alison

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 16th, 2002, 4:30pm »

and i can go into that chat.....? just type in my name? sorry for being a pest!!
IP Logged
Alison

Email

« Reply #8 on: May 16th, 2002, 4:31pm »

what is a firewall???? slightly confussed here??
IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: May 16th, 2002, 4:35pm »

Corporate protection gateways that allow for "some" types of internet surfing but tend to choke off chat rooms,  If the IS departments have set them up that way.  Firewalls also block individuals from getting into a corporate system for individuals that do not have the proper authorization.
IP Logged

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: May 16th, 2002, 6:06pm »

Imitrex is called imigran in the United Kingdom.  Same stuff though, sumatriptan sucinate.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: May 17th, 2002, 2:53am »

My experience is that imitrex-shots works a lot faster then nasal-spray

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Greg_A

Email

« Reply #12 on: May 22nd, 2002, 6:05am »

I used the NS imitrex for a while.... i found that i have to use it almost at first signs of pain or it wont work. My doc switched me to injections... beeaautiful... they work within 5 min everytime.

Also use the imitrex tip to conserve imitrex... same results at 1/3 a dose.

I use o2 when i'm at home to avoid the imitrex... as far as limitation of doses.... the doc gave me the standard no more than 2 a day and dont mix with other triptans in a 24 hr period.

And of course i have exceed that dosing because it works so dahm good. The downfall of that was i went into a rebound HA for 2 days. Constant dull boring HA, not as severe as CH but more bothersome i thought.

Good luck Alison....
IP Logged
helobian

Email

« Reply #13 on: May 27th, 2002, 11:29pm »

Remember the recommended dosage is based upon migraine research and there is a lot of history with that dosage and the side effects.  The only risk is that of an "after headache" because of too much.  Don't forget also that a lot of use CH sufferrers are cyclical and therefore take larger amounts but for a limited time.  Even if I had them full time, I would take the risk of whatever might happen by using to much just to be free of the beast.  I take Imitrex and use two 20mg nasal injectors with each onset.  One dose works but it takes 10-12 minutes.  Two doses works in about 5 miniutes.  I do not get the followon heacache. The only side effect is the bitter taste that trickles down my throat.  I'd live with that taste night and day if I had to to be pain free.  I do not know if the Imigrain (was that it?) is the same idea as Imitrex, but probably so.
IP Logged
MaureenG
New Board Junior
USA 

Clusterheart since 2000!

MaureenGEarth
WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: May 28th, 2002, 12:10am »

Alison:

Regarding the chat room, we had a discussion last night, and apparently, most go to the headache support group chat room instead of this one.

Under General Posts you will find one that I think was called Question About Chat.  This should answer your questions.
IP Logged

Through awareness comes understanding. Visit my site to raise awareness.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #15 on: May 29th, 2002, 9:04am »

According to the Physcians desk reference you are not to exceed 40mg a day of the imitrix ns.  It comes in varying doses.  I get 5mg doses and can take 8 in a day.  They also come in 20mg doses and you should only have 2 a day.  I am not aware of other doses.  I hope this answers your question.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
lazerboots

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jun 1st, 2002, 2:17pm »

Roll Eyes hi alison, im the partner of a CH sufferer and he too is on the nasal spray 20mg now i dont know ifthis helps you but he has taken up to five a day as his attack are very bad and very often he has been suffering 3-5 attacks daily for the last 7 weeks and he has found that the nasal spray helps as it is quicker than the tabs (50mg) but  i have nticed that it leaves his speach a little slurred  you find that ? we too are in th UK please feel free to e- mail us if you like...... jadslartybum@aol.com ..or lazerboots@aol.com
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss