Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 3:50am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Meds Mix »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Meds Mix
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Meds Mix  (Read 198 times)
Wyzyrd

Email

Meds Mix
« on: May 15th, 2002, 5:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Greetings!

This is a great new board format!  I haven't posted for a while, having had a remission.

Anyway, it's almost 5am and I just turned off the bottle.  I've been up for two nights, so I excercised my rare option of calling in sick to work:  maybe I'll sleep today.  ahahah

So today...wait...yesterday I went to the Doc again because he had me on Verapamil and Prednisone.  The Prednisone was two 20's a day, and I was having reactions.  My heart was beating funny and I was turning red.  He decided to cut it to one 20 Pred a day, and then put me on Lithium at 300 3x a day.

So now, I'm on Verapamil 240 1x - Prednisone - 20 1x - and Lithium 300 3x a day.

After I took my first Lithium today...wait...yesterday, I seemed to get all emotional.  Now, I'm emotional anyway, sometimes crying at supermarket openings!

I guess I just wondered if someone who has done the Lithium before could fill me in on what to expect.  Everyone is asking me if I'm bipolar.

Hugging my K tank,

~Wyz

IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

Re: Meds Mix
« Reply #1 on: May 15th, 2002, 8:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Wyz, I remember you.  Sorry to hear you're doin' the dance again.

My husband did exactly the same med combo you're doing, and the lithium was the only thing that finally broke his 6 month cycle.  The verapamil did nothing for him, even though he was on a much higher dose (720 mgs).  The pred did break his attacks for a few days, but once he did the taper, they came back.  We finally got him some lithium and he started at 600 mgs a day, then increased to 900 mgs after a week.  Within two weeks of this drug alone, his cycle was ending.  He had no noticeable side effects at all from it  - zip, nada.  Other than he didn't have any more cluster attacks!

The cluster dose of Lithium is about half that of what they give for bipolar folks, but it is the drug of choice for that affliction too.

I hope it works for you.  For us, it's really hard to know if the lithium DID actually end Mike's cycle or if it was just ready to die off on it's own.  I'm sure he'll start it earlier in his next cycle - this time, he didn't until he was about five and half months through.

Keep in touch, Wyzyrd, let us know how you're doing.

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Wyzyrd

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 15th, 2002, 1:08pm »

Thanks for the input, Margi!

That's always the question, isn't it?  Whether or not the meds or evolutions the Docs put us through actually end the cycle, or if it was on it's way out anyway.

I was worried about the Lithium because about five years ago it was tried on me by a Doc at the VA.  Back then I was still self-medicating with booze and such, so I cannot really know what the actual effects might have been.  This time around, I'm clean and serene for almost five years. (c:

I'm not sure whether I want to be on a bunch of mixed meds and deal with the (possible) side-effects, or just suck on my bottle and deal with it.

Thanks again,

~Wyz

IP Logged
Wyzyrd

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 15th, 2002, 1:10pm »

Uh, that was:

"suck on my bottle (OF OXYGEN)"  hahaha

~Wyz
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #4 on: May 15th, 2002, 2:50pm »

I am on 900mg of lithium and the only side effect I noticed was being real tired.  That wheres off as your body gets used to the lithium.  I wouldn't worry about taking the lithium.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: May 15th, 2002, 3:27pm »

I`ve tried Lithium before,but it did not work for me
The only thing thats work for me is a heavy doze of verapamil retard  up to 7X120mg as profylaxe.
And imitrex-shots combined with oxygene for the painkillers.
IP Logged

The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: May 15th, 2002, 3:30pm »

I`ve tried Lithium before,but it did not work for me  
The only thing thats work for me is a heavy doze of verapamil retard  up to 7X120mg as profylaxe.  
And imitrex-shots combined with oxygene for the painkillers.  
7X120mg as profylaxe when i`m in cycle and 1X120mg out of cycle regulary
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss