Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 11:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Update on me »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Update on me
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Update on me  (Read 403 times)
Sweet_Landings
New Board Veteran

Beware of the Dumb side of the Force!

SweetLandings
Email

Update on me
« on: May 14th, 2002, 9:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just thought I would give a little update on my situation...

Somehow I have managed to pinch my sciatic nerve, probably from coughing from yet another bout with bronchitis.  Thank goodness the bronchitis is mild this time around.

The pain in my leg and hip and lower back has over-shadowed the pain in my head for the most part.  Which is nice, because the ha's have really slacked off for the last week or so.  The intense pain from the sciatic nerve, and the fact that walking was nearly impossible, led me in desperation to a Chiro.  He of course took a bunch of X-rays and what we found in my neck area was quite interesting and distressing at the same time.  L1 through L5 are basically frozen up, L1 is completely compressed into the base of my skull.  So much so, that with very little movement backward (looking up) L1 is kind of grinding on the base of my skull. Could this be the cause of pain in my face and head?  Who knows?

I still have almost a month until I see the neuro, so in the meantime I am going to let this Chiro treat me for the problems in my neck and of course lower back (which looks like a winding country road right now).  I am trying to keep notes on ha's and frequency, intensity and all that good stuff in the interim.

I think my cluster cycle has ended. Since I have never had an end, per se, since they started, this is uncharted territory.  This evening I feel a twinge on the left side in my eye and temple, but it is very minor so far.

Is this the reason that I have been searching for?  Is this the answer that will finally give me relief for the longterm?  I dunno.
IP Logged

Sweet_Landings
Drk^Angel

Email

Re: Update on me
« Reply #1 on: May 14th, 2002, 10:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm sorry to hear about your sciatica... My wife has problems with her sciatic nerve all the time, so I know from her how bad it can be.  Glad to hear that the beast has decided to slack off a bit though.  Hope you are to get things worked out.  Keep us posted.

PFDAN...................................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged
dannyboy
New Board Old Timer

Docs didn't design the machine they're working on

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 15th, 2002, 9:34am »

The condition you describe with L1 through 5 being squahed together and basically frozen up, is sympomatic of, among other things, extreme muscle tension over an extended period of time, of the muscle groups that connect your head to your neck and shoulders (cranio-cervical).

I know nothing about Chyropractors save that if there is a muscle tension component a good Chyro is at least dealing with that part of the problem directly (I think) - Mail Doug Wright, he'll give you the low down...

Do not go for spinal fusion (if its recommended) unless you've had at least three or four second opinions. Spinal fusion is often performed for the condition you describe most often (not always) with no result for headaches or related conditions.
IP Logged

Bedside manner is no substitute for a correct diagnosis - Bill Gates
Sweet_Landings
New Board Veteran

Beware of the Dumb side of the Force!

SweetLandings
Email

« Reply #3 on: May 15th, 2002, 10:40am »

Correction:

I meant that C1-C5 were locked up.  If it were L1-L5 then my ass would be between my shoulder blades.  Picture that one for a good laugh.  

Anyway, spinal fusion is not an option for me.  That is just too scary to think about.  

And yes, the muscles in my neck, shoulders and upper back are always knotted up and tight.  The Chiro is treating the muscle tightness and spasms with a tens unit and it is helping to loosen things up a bit.  

The problems do stem from years of letting things go after 2 very bad accidents. The first, a bus wreck 20 years ago in which I was was thrown over a seat and landed on my chin, fracturing my jaw in 4 places.  The second, a terrible car wreck in which I 'ate' the steering wheel and broke the bone between my eyes and my nose and fractured a cheekbone.  My CH's started about 4 months after the first accident.

I don't know if these treatments will help the CH's but so far the TN has settled quite a bit.  And after 9 months without a day going by when I was experiencing some kind of pain in my head or another, the lessened frequency and intensity are a much needed and very much appreciated break.

By the time I see the Neuro in June I will have been treated by the Chiro for about a month.  So we will see what the neuro has to say at that point.
IP Logged

Sweet_Landings
dannyboy
New Board Old Timer

Docs didn't design the machine they're working on

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 15th, 2002, 10:52am »

C1 to C5 indeed ... Ha ho ho ho

In fact That's not good because it means I didn't know everthing previously

Now I know everything

At Last
Dannyboy
IP Logged

Bedside manner is no substitute for a correct diagnosis - Bill Gates
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss