Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 29th, 2024, 4:24am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Update on Topamax »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Update on Topamax
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Update on Topamax  (Read 895 times)
mustang
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

mustang  
Email

Update on Topamax
« on: May 12th, 2002, 9:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

OK I tried the Topamax and that was the worst 2 days I'v had in awhile. CH, and just and all over bad feeling, also noticed small vessel in eye burst. Going to call Nuro Mon. and tell him I will not take any more, Seemed to escalate my headaches.     Sad
IP Logged
Mr. Anonymous

Email

Re: Update on Topamax
« Reply #1 on: May 12th, 2002, 10:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I know exactly what you mean. I too had blood vessels burst in my eye. My neurologist had originally told me to stay on it for two months and to give it time before I made another appointment with him. To hell with all of that. I had to stop taking the stuff after six days. My attacks increased in frequency and the pain even seemed to be more intense. This of course does not mean that others won't find it helpful with their attacks. Those of you reading who haven't taken this medicine, please tell you doctor about the experiences of us who have had trouble with Topamax. He might learn something. I have found that doctors don't always know everything you think they know.
                                                   Mr. A
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2002, 10:47pm by eke » IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #2 on: May 13th, 2002, 11:03am »

Sorry mustang  Sad  I wish that it had worked for you.  I'm glad that you have stopped taking it though with those side effects that you've mentioned.  It's better to move on to another "drug of choice" instead of beating a dead horse into the ground.....Good luck to you!

Keep the faith,
NotH20
IP Logged
mustang
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

mustang  
Email

« Reply #3 on: May 13th, 2002, 5:07pm »

That's just what he told me, give it a 2 month chance
I don't think  I could go that long on it. I'm still having  
small ch from all this even in the day hours. The thing is  
I don't know how soon he will see me or if I want to go back to him. I really don't have much faith in him. I have been with him almost 3 yrs. and I bet he has spent a total of 3 hours of his time on me or even listens to me. Am looking for a new one, in the mean time will keep my 02 handy. Nothing more I can do at this time.
          Irene Angry
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #4 on: May 14th, 2002, 7:55am »

Irene,

Have you checked the OUCH site for docs in your area? That would be somewhere to start.  You really need to find someone that will listen to you and one that you can trust.  We don't have a broken arm that can be fixed and then we're on our merry way.  We need a long term relationship with a doc that has knowledge with ch's.  I wish you luck w/ this - it's tough to find a doc that you click with, especially when ch's are involved.

My thoughts are with you,

NotH20
IP Logged
mustang
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

mustang  
Email

« Reply #5 on: May 14th, 2002, 6:39pm »

Yes, I checked the OUCH site for nuro. none very close
I also e-mailed a couple of people in my area ,but no one has helped. My nuro did call back with px it's for methylprednisolone I have no choice but to try. Going on vacation in the morning so will keep my 02 real close.
Please respond if anyone has tried this med.
       Thank you all for  your concern,
          Irene
IP Logged
plateglass
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10th, 2002, 7:18am »

I too have just had a hell weekend with Topamax.  My Ch's have gotten about 2x's worse and on Sun nite I thought my right eye was going to fall out of my head! Brought me to my knees in tears.  I'm calling the Neuro this morning and stopping this stuff I will keep you updated.  I can' sleep and defenitley cant work like this.
IP Logged

Wouldn't it be easier if we just cut off your head?
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 10th, 2002, 7:35am »

Hey Plate - sorry that you had such a horrible weekend.  What dosage are you on with Topomax?  Are you on any other meds?  What about abortives - injections maybe?

I'm glad you are talking to your doc today but make sure before you nix the Topomax that you are on the appropriate dosage.  It takes a little time to increase that med.

Keep us posted.
NotH20
IP Logged
plateglass
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 10th, 2002, 8:37am »

Hey Not, thanks for the quick reply and the sympathy.  I was on 25mg a day for a week.  I just boosted up to 50 and that is when I had the hell night.  It seems to have made the pain that much worse.  As usual the O2 tank was on empty and the Imitrex nasal that I am on as an abortive was taken earlier in the day(I was out of them)  Since the introduction of the Topamax it seems that I can't predict when I will get one eg: 1 at around 2am 1at around 9:30 am they are all over the place, and the other thing that I have never experencied in my cluster carreer(12 yrs.) EVERY time I wake up from a nap(they are all naps now) I have a dull cluster that turns into a rager.  Well thats enough from me thanks for listening

Steve
IP Logged

Wouldn't it be easier if we just cut off your head?
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 10th, 2002, 11:38am »

I can certainly relate to all this talk about topamax...i was on it twice...the first time they put me on 25mg and iworked up to 75mg...chs got worse...THEN the next time, a neuro hit me with 200mg the first nite...I was psycotic....crazy as a bed bug...no chs but could not function at all...and i was going to work trying to be a nurse ....very dangerous....That dose definelty stopped the chs but I got so suicidal that he had to take me off of them....I am back on a high dose of another antiseizure Keppra and going thru the same thing....The question with me is pf worth no quality of life?  If you cant stay awake, feel like a zombie, and feel suicidal, but you are pf, do you stop it or go on?
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 10th, 2002, 12:17pm »

Hey Steve - you are still on a low dose of the Topomax.  Check the archieves and OUCH regarding the appropriate dosage levels for Topomax to affect the CH......

I know how hard it is to find the right combo. Keep the faith,

NotH20
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss