Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 10:49am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « ergot »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   ergot
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ergot  (Read 296 times)
hreslingozer

Email

ergot
« on: May 10th, 2002, 9:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi.

Today my neurologist just told me I was the proud new parent of cluster headaches.

I've got two questions:

What are HA's?

My doctor is putting me on Verapamil, which seems like standard treatment, but he's also putting me on Ergot, and I've never heard of this stuff before except in biochem, where I learned it was rather nasty back in the middle ages.

Has anyone had success with Ergot?  I want to know before I go on it.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Re: ergot
« Reply #1 on: May 10th, 2002, 10:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

HAs is short for headaches.

I've used ergots in different forms for 25 years.  I've taken cafergot tablets, sublingual tabs that melt under your tongue and ergot inhalers.

The inhaler was the fastest working but is unfortunately not available in the US any longer.

The sublingual, called ergostat, I'm not sure of.

The tablets are available.  Also suppositories.

It works for me however the dosing is stringent.  Not supposed to take more than 10 tablets per week.  This doesn't work if you get 2 or 3 HAs a day.  I have taken as much as 25 tabs per week resulting in cold fingers and toes from reduced circulation.  The doctor isn't too  happy with this but tough!

Also, do not use any triptans within 24 hours of taking ergots.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
murphy

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 13th, 2002, 1:11pm »

I,ve been taking sublingual ergotomine for about 10 years. It's reasonably effective 80% of the time and has no effect the rest of the time.
If you come off it too quickly after the HA's stop you can get some big time rebound HA's.
It also tastes like something crawled under your tongue and died. Get the inhaler if it's available.
Murphy
IP Logged
hreslingozer

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 13th, 2002, 6:06pm »

Now that I'm straight with what ergotine is, I took my prescription to the pharmacist.

No one has this stuff!

The only kind they have has caffiene, and my neuro doesn't want me taking those because they'll keep me awake at night (the whole purpose behind them being I might be able to actually sleep!)

Please, please help if you know how I can get this stuff.  I had a KIP 9 on Sunday and don't know if I can face another one this week.
IP Logged
mustang
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

mustang  
Email

« Reply #4 on: May 14th, 2002, 5:22am »

I have taken Cafergot(ergot) and predizone great for stopping ch but as soon as I was off I got the ch's back
never stopped me from sleeping. Anyway you can't sleep with a ch so whats the dif (at least your awake and pain free for awhile). ;D   Right now I'm awake  
with pain and only me 02 Hoping my nuro will call back today, didn't yesterday.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: May 14th, 2002, 8:43am »

I too use cafergot, the stuff with caffiene, and have no trouble sleeping.  When you're in a cluster cycle and starved for a good nights sleep, cafergot won't keep you awake.  I actually think I sleep better after taking the stuff.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss