Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 10:46am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « O2 mask questions »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   O2 mask questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: O2 mask questions  (Read 766 times)
gracie

Email

O2 mask questions
« on: May 2nd, 2002, 12:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Could someone help me understand the various ways to inhale the O2 and the differences?  My neuro prescribed O2 and it definitely seems to help, but the respiratory therapist who filled the prescription kind of "pooh-pooh'd" the idea of a non-rebreather mask.  I have the small tanks that go up to an 8 flow level.  They only gave me the canules (nose-plugs).  I wound up taking new tubing and putting the canules in my mouth so that none of the precious O2 could escape.   Am I missing some major benefit of the O2 by doing it this way or do you think this will work?
IP Logged
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

Re: O2 mask questions
« Reply #1 on: May 2nd, 2002, 12:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey Gracie--tell your respiratory therapist to "POOH POOH"THIS!The canula is simply NOT effective--you MUST use the rebreather mask for good effect. I have a spare in an un-opened bag I'll send you, if you have trouble getting one. Just email me your address. You should also get a regulator that goes up to at least 12 LPM--any less than 10 LPM doesn't do it for me but it works for some CHers. YMMV.

I am experimenting with the canula myself for napping in the afternoon at 2-3 LPM and it seems to help with the intensity (i.e.lower KIP) when I'm inevitably awakened by the Beast. More testing necessary. (Of course, I'm using four "S" tanks a week at 154 cu.ft vs. your "E" babies at 22.5 cu.ft.---Size DOES matter-LOL)

I have a special place in my heart for "Gracie's"- my daughter is named Grace and she is the light of my life- Take care and DON'T TAKE NO CRAP FROM YOUR RESP. THERAPIST--YOUR DOCTOR PRESCRIBED THE o2 AND YOU SHOULD USE IT THE WAY IT'S BEEN PROVEN MOST EFFECTIVE....would you stick an Imitrex tab in your ear?

RANT MODE OFF.....  
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2002, 12:45pm by Not4Hire » IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #2 on: May 2nd, 2002, 2:20pm »

From one "Not" to another - I absolutely LOVED your post........Gracie, Not4Hire is totally correct - you really need the appropriate mask for breathing the highest concentration of O2.  You will surely notice a difference the first time you use it.......click on the OUCH website for information on the correct mask, etc.

Good luck to you and keep us posted....

NotH20
IP Logged
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 2nd, 2002, 2:22pm »

I may be wrong, but respiratory therapists just aren't trained to deal with CH.  They are trained for ppl with respiratory problems.  I didn't know they could override a doctor's prescription like that.  If the doctor prescribed a non-rebreather mask, that is what they should have given you, no questions asked.  Oh well... Maybe you can train 'em like some clusterheads have to do with their neuros.  Good luck!

PFDAN..................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged
clavers
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 2nd, 2002, 2:57pm »

I finally got tired of the mask and cut the tube off and stick the bare end into my mouth blowing up my lungs like a baloon.  Then I turn off the tank and hold it as long as I can.  Then repeat until the CH is gone.  This works best for me.  It may be harmful, I don't know, and I don't give a damn.
IP Logged
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 2nd, 2002, 3:16pm »

Hey clavers--I am far from the expert on o2, but I am quite sure that your "technique" is pretty risky. You could possibly rupture a lung and this could be quickly fatal. I very strongly urge you to use the non-rebreather mask the way it's meant to be used. I know the mask is a pain...I got calluses on my already ugly mug from the o2 I'm using, but "huffin'" o2 as you describe is DANGEROUS and probably not very effective.  

Please GIVE A DAMN....I DO.......and I think the rest of us do, too...
IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 2nd, 2002, 4:49pm »

I agree with what Not4Hire said.  I can't remember where I read it, but takin' oxygen at high flow without the proper mask has been known to tear lung tissue.  Please be careful.

PFDAN.................................. Drk^Angel
IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: May 2nd, 2002, 5:15pm »

Hi Friend

You have to tell your respiratory therapist  to WAKE UP.that nosething is only give you a hurricane up your nose.Beside that its doed not help you at all  

You MUST use the rebreather mask for good effect.

Your friend in Norway

Svenn
[flash=200,200]URL[/flash] Cheesy

IP Logged

The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: May 2nd, 2002, 5:16pm »

Hi Friend

You have to tell your respiratory therapist  to WAKE UP.that nosething is only give you a hurricane up your nose.Beside that its doed not help you at all  

You MUST use the rebreather mask for good effect.

Your friend in Norway

Svenn
[flash=200,200]URL[/flash] Cheesy

IP Logged

Greg_A

Email

« Reply #9 on: May 2nd, 2002, 6:51pm »

I have been getting good results with the regular facemask type. I mess around with the holes on it to get more o2 than air.

I have also tried this-- pinch the hose, exhale all the way, then inhale (deep breath) --> while you do that let the hose go and you will get a little burst of o2 blown in you nose....  dont know if there is benefit of this but helps pass the time on the tank.

Also when i'm gettin my sniff on, i take slow deep breaths, hold them for a count of 6, exhale slow ....repeat.  I do belive this hint of breathing came from the Colonal a while back.  

SHUT UP NOT4HIRE!!!!!!   Cool

btw ... i go to the respitory doc tomarrow 3 may finally.. dont know what he's going to do.... you guys have any questions you want me to ask?????
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: May 8th, 2002, 1:10am »

It's a NON rebreather mask!

click this

http://www.jlenterprise.com/nrbmx.html

for Ueli’s reference to re-breather masks posted Dec. 31, 2000  

click this

http://www.salterlabs.com/products/oxygen_masks/high_conc.htm
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
gracie

Email

« Reply #11 on: May 10th, 2002, 11:12am »

Not4Hire - Thank you so much!!  The mask came in yesterday.  I will be sure to ask about the bigger tanks.  My regulator currently goes up to 8 but maybe that is enough for now.   I am lucky that my cycles only last two weeks but they come back in five so I don't get too used to not hurting.   The good thing is that I can get restocked with O2 before the next one hits.

Thanks Again...that was such a nice thing to do for someone that you don't even know.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss