Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 1:23pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapamil »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapamil
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapamil  (Read 360 times)
Drk^Angel

Email

Verapamil
« on: May 2nd, 2002, 4:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm sorry if this has already been covered (been trying to go though past post, and search the archives, but haven't found an answer yet Sad ).  How long does it take before verapamil starts working?  Just started on them, so I'm not expecting them to help yet, but I was hoping for some enlightening information.

PFDAN............................ Drk^Angel
IP Logged
SusanM
New Board Newbie

Email

Re: Verapamil
« Reply #1 on: May 2nd, 2002, 5:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It can vary...depending on the dose as well.  My dr. said anywhere from a week to a month.  What dose are you on?

I know it's making a difference for me.  When I tried to go off of it....BAM...CH city!  Went right back on it, and now have added Depakote (500mg daily) and my verapamil dose is 360mg daily (was on 480mg, but after awhile went down and didn't notice any big difference...so stayed with the lower dose to reduce the side effects).

Hope this is the one for you!
Praying for PFDAN for all!
SusanM
IP Logged
Ann
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Annage

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 2nd, 2002, 7:33am »

It can take up to 3 weeks before you see a difference.  Like Susan said, the dosage is important.  I started out at 2 times 80 mgs and am now at 4 times 120 mgs.  It's been doing the trick.  I haven't been hit since Saturday.  Make sure you take it at the same time every day.  Are you taking slow release or regular?  Regular is best for clusterheadaches.
Good luck and be patient.  You'll soon see a difference.
PFDAN and of course a huge hug!
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: May 2nd, 2002, 8:36am »

Visit the verap surveys on the OUCH site.  Looks like 1-2 weeks is the norm.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 2nd, 2002, 2:16pm »

Right now, the neuro has me ramping up to 480mg/day.  And I'm on verapamil SR.

Thanx Bob.  I didn't notice the surveys.  I was looking in the wrong place I guess.

At least the information gives me hope.  The CH has been so bad lately, I can use a little hope.

PFDAN y'all......................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #5 on: May 2nd, 2002, 2:23pm »

Keep the faith Drk - knowledge is everything as a ch'er....good luck w/ the verap - hopefully you will see some relief soon.

NotH20
IP Logged
Greg_A

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 2nd, 2002, 6:38pm »

Im doing 720mg of regular now. Working great. Pretty much my HAs are gone although i still get a hint o pain from time to time.

One thing on taking the doses.... i noticed that if i miss a dose for what ever reason, i will get headaches for the next few days.

When i was taking the SR version... i got no relief.

Ramp up time was about a week for the regular stuff with me.
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 2nd, 2002, 7:34pm »

I haven't found yet in the literature any figures how long it takes for Verapamil do to its job of blocking calcium channels. From the experience of the people on this board, and my own, I guess the half life time is about a week, maybe two weeks. (But if an over-concerned doc starts you with a low dose and increases it only slowly it can take several weeks until a therapeutic dose is reached).

My own experience: In February my neuro suggested that I reduce my daily dose from 560 to 480 mg. For the first two weeks I didn't notice any difference, but then the break through's got stronger, leading to an increased oxygen consumption. I continued another two weeks at the lower dose, but then decided it wasn't worthwhile and went up again to 560 mg. It took about ten days until the previous level of attack suppression was reached again.

Sorry, I can't remember how long it took when I started Verapamil, 5 years ago. I didn't get relieve very fast, but it took some time to find a useful level for me.
IP Logged
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #8 on: May 2nd, 2002, 7:41pm »

Thanx everyone for your replies.  About the ramping up with the doses, I read somewhere that it's advisable to do this to avoid the side effects that some others have mentioned in other posts (constipation), but I'll prolly consider speeding up the ramp up, and risk the side effects.  I would be very pleased to be rid of the beast as soon as possible.  Thanx again y'all!

PFDAN............................... Drk^Angel
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2002, 7:42pm by drkangel » IP Logged
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #9 on: May 2nd, 2002, 7:44pm »

Oh... btw... Before anybody else can say it... I know that this is not a cure.  I'll just settle for one pain free day now and then.  

PFDAN................................. Drk^Angel
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2002, 7:45pm by drkangel » IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #10 on: May 2nd, 2002, 10:49pm »

angel, at one time, verap alone worked for me...but the SR did not work....i had to go with the regular verap...the fast acting...that is what Doc Goadsby recommends too...hope you get relief from it..i got relief in less than a week and stayed pf for about 9 months until the doc pulled me off of it...side effects...now, i am taking depakote and verap and may have to come off the verap because of the swelling again....good luck and keep us posted... Cheesy if you do stay on the SR, let me know...i have two bottles of it here doing noone any good...
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2002, 10:51pm by nancyc » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss