Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Maxalt Malaise »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Maxalt Malaise
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Maxalt Malaise  (Read 312 times)
notseinfeld
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Enough is Enough.        Vote Libertarian

krilldocument  
WWW Email

Maxalt Malaise
« on: Apr 20th, 2002, 10:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Every now and then I take a Maxalt that seems to simply not work. I used to speculate that it was from overuse or the stars didn't line up exactly. Now I'm wondering whether or not there's a chance that Merck and Co mix in some placebos to save a dime. When a clusterhead is waken up at 4:30 in the morning and writhes in pain for an hour and a half after ingesting wonder drug, you can bet they're spitting mad when the costly drug runs from mouth to bladder instead of  
mouth to head. Damn I'm on a tear about this.

Does anyone know (contrary to what the name states) if a chronic CH ever gets a break or leaves a cycle?

grunting and groaning

nots
IP Logged

-----------Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. ---------------------
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

Re: Maxalt Malaise
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20th, 2002, 11:31am »

I usually use imigran/imitrex inj and it stops CH in 10 mins every time, but my dr prescribed me 6x maxalt wafers to see if they worked as they are cheaper. My experience is not great. I took the 1st one and it took more than 2 hrs before CH went away, but I had no pain for next 12 hrs. Normally if I ride it out without inj I have soem residual but acceptable pain for whole day (like a sore temple).

I have taken twice more since with same results 2-3 hrs to clear CH, but it does make the time easier, but I don't think I will waste any more of my hard earned cash on more of them. They may be great for migraine but are crap for CH in my humble opinion.
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
rick
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20th, 2002, 12:04pm »

Nots-

I used Maxalt as an abortive during my last bout.  Like the rest of the triptans, I seemed to build up an immunity to it after week or two of daily use.  Amerge was the only one that worked consistently for me, but it gave me ferocious rebounds.  I can definitely say I have a love/hate relationship with these drugs.

-Rick
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:21pm »

i've never had a migraine in my life so i can't assuage triptans' effectiveness in that area.  However, used imitrix (pill, inhaler an injector) and maxalt mlt.  I think the timing is critical for optimum effectiveness.  I am episodic so can't speak for chronic.  In my experience, sometimes but not all the time, if the triptan is used at the right time (at immediate onset of ch) it will be most effective.  I tried the above abortives during full blown attack (like when you are awakened and attack is already on its course) with little to no luck.
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23rd, 2002, 1:34pm »

I agree about the timing with Maxalt. I got 6 prescribed recently to try out (see my earlier post above), and the 1st 4 I took each time when the CH was pretty much full blown. My theory being that you need to be sure the CH is really coming so as not to waste the expensive drugs. (stupid me!) They did nothing much for me and either CH lasted 3 hours or more or I took imitrex injection to get rid of it.  

The last 2  I took when I felt I was getting a CH in about an hour or so (I can tell exactly when I am getting one ages before, but try and deny it)  This time they did not blow up but faded rapidly.

If you can accurately predict it coming it and take it well before real symptoms (pain) starts it works, leave it until pain starts and you can forget Maxalt for CH, as it is then useless.

Imitrex inj is the only sure fire relief. It works EVERY time in about 10 mins, but each cluster episode costs me about 20 injections to stop the suicide headbangers I get some of the time. I also try everything else for the smaller ones earlier on and at the end of each cycle that ususally lasts me about 6 weeks every year or 2
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Apr 23rd, 2002, 2:10pm »

in 25 years of dealing with clusters, i take medications and their "supposed" success with a grain of salt.  such an array of medicines we are offered, still no clear cut outline of success.  All of us try so many different things to both cope with and end the Pain.  Ending the pain is what is important.  I am intimately familiar with the pattern of my cycles.  I probably cope better now than I did in the beginning.  I still try different meds, but with the knowledge that nothing is guaranteed, except the attack itself.   I ride it like a horse.  With meds, without meds, i can't say whether any of the meds really work.  Sometimes they seem to provide assistance is how i put it.  I have yet to go through a cycle with each attack successfully aborted.  We have a LONG way to go.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss