Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 7:09pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Re-Occurance after 2.6 yrs free, and why? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Re-Occurance after 2.6 yrs free, and why?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re-Occurance after 2.6 yrs free, and why?  (Read 514 times)
Stewart
New Board Newbie

it hurts, here!!

Email

Re-Occurance after 2.6 yrs free, and why?
« on: Mar 16th, 2002, 10:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

??? Hi I'm new to this site, except for occasionally glancing at some suggestions, now I am here for major help...going back to Doc. Monday. been CH suffer since I was 18ish am now 39, first visit to doc was 2.6 yrs ago, did the pred. and imitrex..no more after that one for 2.6 yrs..THEIR BACK....this time left side, followed by some funky whole head headches, (not my usual cluster) then, bam, 3 week after my lefties, now I am a righty headache..last night was worst one ever, and I snorted my imitex, did the O2 40 minutes at 12 Ltr..and after 1.5 hrs, it left..Go figure..HELPPPPPPppp!!!!!!!!  Does a MRI or CT scan if caught during attack SHOW anything..I was going to request one..I see a Doc at DUKE Med center in Durham NC..somethings gotta give..Or am I just waisting my time and money on Scans?...
IP Logged
TimandLaurie

Email

Re: Re-Occurance after 2.6 yrs free, and why?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16th, 2002, 10:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Stewart
  CT or MRI never showed anything even will i had a cluster in the tube. Go ahead and have it done to xout other things that mite be going on. good luck to you and let us know what happens.      
         tim ;D
IP Logged
Cin

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16th, 2002, 11:16am »

Sad

Hello,

Pain free for over 2 years, that had to be GREAT, I hope I will be that way.  I'm not much help because I'm still learning alot about this ch stuff, but I wish you well, and PF days. Good luck**
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16th, 2002, 12:55pm »

For the first 20 years my clusters would hit every 8 or 9 months.

When I turned 40 (just about your age) they jumped to every 2 years.  Each time now they get a little farther apart.  Last remission was 2 years 7 months.

We should consider ourselves lucky!
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16th, 2002, 2:31pm »

Someone has written that, "Why? is the most painful word in the English language."

The present state of knowledge about CH is so limited that answering the question is impossible. Try and take comfort in the knowledge which IS available on abortive and preventive treatments and use that to your benefit.

It's not likely that scans will show anything unless you have had a recent head injury (accident, etc.) and/or there are other, new neurological signs. But with CH as the only presenting issue, suspect you would waste your money.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Mattso

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16th, 2002, 5:06pm »

Well I've had clusters for 20 years, and they keep coming further apart, I'm very happy and lucky to report. Something like this:  

1 year (twice), 1 year 1mo (twice)., 1 1/2 years (twice), 2 years (twice), 3 years, and the longest ever remission, before my current bout: 5 years. The only bum part of this deal is that the series of attacks are now lasting more like 2 months instead of the original  1 month.

My sympathies go out big time to those here that are less fortunate with the frequency of their bouts, or are chronic.
IP Logged
William_Bellas

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23rd, 2002, 7:40pm »

I am happy to hear that people's cluster episodes get further and further apart.  Mine have remained the about the same for the last 28 years....I have roughly 22 months of remission before my next period, and then 6 weeks of it.....I am finally at the tail end of a cluster period....
IP Logged
rick
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23rd, 2002, 8:52pm »

Stewart, Mattso, & Bob P.,
     Just out of curiosity, did any of you make any significant lifestyle  
changes during your remissions? Diet, exercise, quit smoking, etc.?
Or does it seem to you all that this is just the natural pattern of your cycles?
               Thanks,  
               Rick
IP Logged
Mattso

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24th, 2002, 4:35pm »

I've made a significant change (for the better) to my diet over the years, but my feeling is that it's just the natural pattern of my episodes for them to be coming further and further apart.
IP Logged
Lee

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24th, 2002, 6:40pm »

Get the Imitrex injections, it's no big deal. Most of us get complete relief within 5-10 min. Good luck!
IP Logged
helobian

Email

« Reply #10 on: May 27th, 2002, 11:06am »

I was free from the beast for six years, so long that I forgot I even had them, them BAM!!!! - and why? - nothing changed in my lifes routine - THEY just came back.  The only reason I know it was 6 years was because I still had the old meds with the date on them.  

IP Logged
ave

Email

« Reply #11 on: May 27th, 2002, 4:58pm »

Rick, one of the assumed causes for getting  fewer episodes when one gets older, is that the vascular walls get less elastic. The blood vessels can expand less so less pressure on the trig nerve.

It is a theory, but in itself a logical one. No need to change lifestyles. I stopped smoking 18 months ago. My episode of gentle shadows erupted into beastly attacks last month after I ate some liquorices... go figure
IP Logged
Peter
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

"Oh to be in England now that Spring is here"

« Reply #12 on: May 28th, 2002, 1:54pm »

I too was averaging every 2 years, but currently have lasted to coming up 3 years.  Why ?  apart from the shroom thing last year I just don't know, just grateful.

Peter
IP Logged

Peter (uk)
DFloss

Email

« Reply #13 on: May 28th, 2002, 3:35pm »

Angry Stewart,
 Glad your here, Sorry About the CH's, But this is the place.
 I had Ch for 7 years Before they Diagnosed it.
 Got a great doc and he put a big stop on the Beast.
 4 years latter the beast was back and wanted to dance. Got with the same doc and again with Pred and Verp we got tham broke( Oh yea I'm also A volunteer Firefighter and EMT, So I also used the hell out of O2)
 6 years latter here it is againDoc's gone trying to train a new one LOL. Pred and Verp doesn't seen to be working as well this time around He gave me some AXERT And if I take the second I get the Shadows it works with-in about 10-15 minutes. Tried a half saturday and really paid the price, Just pissed off the Beast. Only thing different this time is no 02, Not on the Dept anymore, Trying to get the Insurance to go along with it.
 Well Sorry to ramble but I hope they do get farther and farther apart.
  Dennis
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: May 29th, 2002, 7:24am »

Hi Stewart,

Why?

These are a few of my past theories...

1.  God hates me.
2.  I am being punished by God
3.  I am "chosen"  If I can withstand the ch, then I must be darn special and someone is training me for future "mission"
4.  I was a bad child.

There is simply no answer to that question as of yet.
The best we can do is educate ourselves on the most effective treatments and continue to support one another.    
Sorry you are suffering right now.  Hang in.  It will get better.
Well wishes, Kim
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #15 on: May 29th, 2002, 9:05am »

Here is my latest theory for what it may be worth. I have been a CH sufferer for over 30 years (I am 50)

I was told that the body accumulates toxins/poisons over time unless you eat, drink, de-stress, and exercise exactly right for your body. CH might be nature's or the the devils way of detoxifying us and the intense pain is just a symptom of the process. When the toxins are out (it takes about a month to detoxify) the pain usually goes away for episodic sufferers until the next time toxins accumulate to pressure point.

A friend advised me to try a detox diet. I was a very sceptical at first but I was at the end of my rope and willing to give it a try. Amzaingly it seemed to work. It broke my cycle after about 2 or 3 days and have been pain free for 5 weeks.  

He said I should do a detox at least every 6 or 12 months to rid the body of toxins before they try and "kill" you. He says other people feel symptoms like weakness, lethargy (M.E.?) and many other problems due to toxins in the body. We get CH.

What to eat/drink/avoid for at least 2-4 weeks (what worked for me):

Eat:
Mainly lots of fruit/veg/water for first few days. Later add some light fish/meat/pasta.

Avoid/Cut down: Tea/Coffee/Bread/fat/Salt/Preservatives/rich food/Drugs/Alchohol.

I am also doing some yoga stretching exercises for 20 mins/day.

I feel better than I have in years and much less stressed. I am actually enjoying my new food pattern. I was a great beer, steak and fries guy. Now prefer chinese style stir fries and less beer and wine.

It is easier than it sounds and costs nothing to do. My wife has been very supportive and has come up with lots of new menus for me and she is impressed with my recovery and the new more relaxed me.

I am hoping for a very long remission this time. My last episode before this recent one was May 1999. I used to get them every 8-15 months.

Not very scientific I know but might help someone willing to try. I would love to hear of another success.

Love J
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss