Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 11th, 2024, 12:33pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Oxygen Question... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Oxygen Question...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Oxygen Question...  (Read 788 times)
wcork
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hanging in There...

Email

Oxygen Question...
« on: Nov 14th, 2007, 6:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I received a prescription for Oxygen yesterday and have started it.  

Quite a few years ago I used Oxygen for about 2 months.  I stopped using it because it didn't seem to have a lasting effect.  It does good at knocking the cluster out in a short period of time.  But the CH comes back within 30 to 40 minutes.  

I am running into this same thing this time around with the Oxygen.  I have read some post on this site where others have experienced the same thing.  I have tried using the Oxygen for longer periods after the pain has went away.  I have actually went through an entire cylinder of Oxygen tonight.

Any thoughts out there?

Thank You,
Wayne
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2007, 6:02am by wcork » IP Logged
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

Re: Oxygen Question...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14th, 2007, 8:36am »

What flow rate are you using?  What kind of mask do you have?  And how long do you use it before it brings relief?
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14th, 2007, 12:16pm »

Hi Wayne,

If I get hit early enough in the day I pound down an energy drink before hitting the O2.  By the time the O2 has knocked it down the energy drink has kicked in and I'm ok.

It sounds like you are getting night hits. Right?  If so, pounding down a RB will keep you up all night.  Have you tried Melatonin?  It kept almost all of my night hits away this cycle.  Of course that means my hits moved to the day time but at least the combination above worked.

Questions:

• Do you get hit every night?
  • What other meds are you using?

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14th, 2007, 12:23pm »

I have the same problem, we seem to be in a minority but there are a few of us who get the return head ache within 20 minutes of shutting down the 02.

For the last 10 years or so I've been popping an oral cafergot when I start the 02. 02 beats it down, cafergot buys me up to 12 hours. My cycle ended a while back and since then many have posted of using a strong cup of coffee or an energy drink in the same fashion. Pop a monster as you start the 02 and they say it has the same effect as my cafergot. I intend to try that next cycle as I'd love to dump another bottle outta my medicine cabinet!  

Cafergot is an old school CH med that fell outta favor because it takes a while to get into your system. Combined with the oxygen it's been very effective for me. If the caffeine/energy drinks don't help it might be worth talking to the doctor about. It's a very inexpensive medicine so that helps too!!!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
wcork
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hanging in There...

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14th, 2007, 5:13pm »

I am going to start giving the drinks a try.

I know from the research and reading I have done on this site that a big part of my problem is the setup.  My doctor only perscribed 7lpm... The regulator goes too 8 so I have it set on that.  Also I have the normal mask.  I have ordered a rebreather and should have it in a day or two.

Right now I don't have any other meds to take.  I am trying the natural stuff that I have read about on this site.  The Melatonin and Kudzu....

My main hits are when I sleep.  It doesn't seem to matter if it is day or night.  After about an hour or two of sleep I seem to get one.  My worst ones come sometime between 3am and 7am.  Then I usually have the shadow effect the rest of the day with the occassional hit in the K5-K7 area.  I haven't found a solid pattern yet.  Each day the times seems to be different.  On a normal day I would say I get 2 at night and about 3 during the day of differnt levels.

I have started to get one every hour since last night at 9pm.  The oxygen knocks it down in about 10 to 15 min.  Then once I stop the oxygen I start to get another one in about 40-60 min from the time I stop.  This has went on since 9pm last night...  I have went 2 hours now without needing the Oxygen though after 14 hours so maybe I am ok for a bit.  I can feel it lingerinig there though but its not increasing in level.  Once I feel it starting to increase in level though I will hit the oxygen again.

The cycle I went through for 10 years was that way as well.  I could never seem to develop a pattern.  I gave up on the oxygen after about 2 months as well.  I would end up convincing myself to just live though it.  That way it wouldn't come back as quick.  But reading stuff on this site has given me hope that I am just not set up right.

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.  I will keep eveyone informed.

Wayne
IP Logged
ski2k
New Board Old Timer
USA 

skipolak  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 14th, 2007, 7:20pm »

on Nov 14th, 2007, 5:13pm, wcork wrote:
.  I have ordered a rebreather and should have it in a day or two.

Just a reminder... hope it was just typed in wrong.. You need a NON-rebreather mask. Also, if you can get that, maybe your O2 supplier can get you a regulator that goes up to 15lpm? My supplier had to order one just for me last cycle. Made me feel special!  Grin I seriously think the higher flow rate might help. You may need your doc to call your O2 supplier and request the higher flow regulator, if his original prescription was for less.

Anyway... Hope you get it straightened out soon and start getting som relief!!

Good luck!
Adam
IP Logged

Here's where I got my RC (Rivea Corymbosa)seeds: I am Shaman
https://www.iamshaman.net/affiliatewiz/aw.aspx?A=1022&Task=Click
wcork
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hanging in There...

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 14th, 2007, 9:50pm »

Thanks for clarifying that.  I doubled check to be sure and it is the non-rebreather... I just read/typed wrong in my post....

Wayne
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 14th, 2007, 9:57pm »

7lpm wont even touch a hangover.......up that damn thing!!!
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15th, 2007, 12:45am »

I actually bought a reglator on e-bay as the VA ordered one that didn't go to 15 lpm.  Got a good deal on it/  

PFDAN y'all
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 15th, 2007, 11:47am »

Definetly consider adding melatonin to your list of tools.  I would recommend 9mg about 1/2 hour before you go to bed.  Some people go as high as 12mg.  It may take a couple of days to kick in but has worked miracles for my sleep hits.  Just be prepared for morning hits.
Tim
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss