Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 9th, 2024, 8:21am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Should I continue with... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Should I continue with...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Should I continue with...  (Read 390 times)
meb777
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Should I continue with...
« on: Oct 31st, 2007, 10:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All,  
I'm a newbie to this site, but not a newbie to CH's! I want to thank everyone for all the valuable info they are contributing here.  

I'm probably one of the lucky ones where my cycles tend to be every 4 years and last about 4 weeks.  O2 and Imitrex are my best friends for aborting but haven't had any luck with a preventive.  I started verapamil today with 80mg and had the worst CH in my 2 week cycle so far. Since I'm already into my 2 week of hopefully my 4 week cycle maybe I should just ride it out w/o the verapamil.  I'm afraid it's making matters worse.  

Any thoughts?  

Thanks!!
meb
IP Logged
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Should I continue with...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 10:53pm »

Everyone deals with CH's a little different, but if you know how your cycles run and they only last 4 weeks, I would just ride it out without prevents. Of course that's what I always do anyway so I may not be a lot of help here.
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 11:09pm »

on Oct 31st, 2007, 10:49pm, meb777 wrote:
I started verapamil today with 80mg and had the worst CH in my 2 week cycle so far.

I might think at mid-cycle it could be at a peak.  

The idea to not use a preventative and rely on oxygen, with trex as a help can go both ways.  If the cycle lasts longer and harder than before then a lot of abortives will be used, a tough bind.  Wondering if using it is necessary for the next two weeks must take into consideration it may not build up enough to help much for at least a week.  Tough call.
IP Logged
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 8:28am »

Another option is to take a predisone taper during the high point of your cycle.  That is if you can predict when it will be.  
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 9:52am »

If I was relatively certain my cycle had 2 or so weeks to go I'd definitely consider a prednisone taper. I can get complete relief from headaches at as low as 30-40 mg a day. It's a bad med to take long term as it can be destructive to your body. But for a short term break it's magical for me! Have the oxygen ready, when I go off prednisone without anything else in my system, and I'm stil in cycle, I get slammed pretty hard.  

Hoping you're at the end, good luck!!!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss