Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 11th, 2024, 8:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapamil/Topamax/Neurontin combo's ? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapamil/Topamax/Neurontin combo's ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapamil/Topamax/Neurontin combo's ?  (Read 1107 times)
EstieSA
New Board Junior
South_Africa 

Verapamil/Topamax/Neurontin combo's ?
« on: Oct 29th, 2007, 3:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all

I tend to READ much more than post , but need to ask a question:

I am currently on 2000mg Neurontin daily, and lately had at least one breakthrough per day.

My Dr wants to combine/supplement the Neurontin with  either Topamax or Verapamil.

1) Can I do a Dexamethasone/Prednisone taper for relief as well as to let the T/max or Verap. settle in while continuing the Neurontin?

2) Which is best as a taper ?

PF wishes!
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

Re: Verapamil/Topamax/Neurontin combo's ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 9:56pm »

Hi Estie!  I was on Neurontin and Verapamil for about a month.  I couldn't hack the side effects of the Neurontin and had to stop it.  I'm still on Verapamil.

Neurontin made me really fuzzy most of the time.  I never got used to it.  But when I think of combining that with Topomax, well let's just say you'd better get good at writing notes to yourself.  

Wishing you PFDAN.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Globi77411
New Board Newbie
Netherlands 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 5:22am »

Topamax made me feel like floating around in a balloon all day. Even simple problems (like things with the computer) seemed big. Just sitting in front of the screen….and no idea at all what to do. I’ll never use topamax again. But it will help some people without too many side affects.
IP Logged
bladewell
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Nov 11th, 2007, 7:38pm »

The American Indians had a cure for cluster headaches.  They used to cut a small hole in the skull to release the evil spirits.  It worked due to the fact that it releaved pressure.  I would like to say that we have come a long way.   Huh  
My first bout with the evil spirits started over 30 years ago.  As far as I am concerned, I am far more educated on the subject than any of the Docs I have seen.

The T-Max and V-Mil is the best thing I have found for me yet.  The problem with it for me, is that it knocks you on your butt until you get used to it.  For me, if I stop taking them, I get to wake in the middle of the night in the worst pain since the last time.  

It seems to me that things work, then, over time, they don't.  I have to say that I am sick of it.  I hoped as I grew older they would go away.  I just have a simple wish.  Find the cause and treat it, the evil spirit in the form of a headache from hell will no longer be an issue.
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #4 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 9:05am »

on Nov 11th, 2007, 7:38pm, bladewell wrote:
The American Indians had a cure for cluster headaches.  They used to cut a small hole in the skull to release the evil spirits.  It worked due to the fact that it releaved pressure.  I would like to say that we have come a long way.  

I'd like to say we've come a long way as well, but we won't go anywhere if people keep spreading bogus information as fact.

Cutting/drilling a hole in the skull would not cure cluster headaches.  (If so, Ali would be our patron saint. Tongue)  The pain is not caused by pressure inside the skull.  The immediate pain of CH is caused by swollen blood vessels pressing against the branches of the trigeminal nerve, primarily the ophthalmic and maxilary branches.
IP Logged
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #5 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 10:37am »

How about leeches?  

Gee Gator, you mean I should not have drilled that hole in my skull?  Roll Eyes  

Seriously, ancient egyptians, greeks, romans, and aboriginal peoples on every continent used trepaning (sp?) to cure all manner of illness.  Did it work?  Well, since the patients usually died-therefore no longer had whatever ailed them-I suppose it did.  

Seriously, its not about pressure its about extremely dialated blood vessels-and a dicey hypothalumus.  

PFDAN y'all,
kathy
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2007, 10:46am by kcopelin » IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
puppylove41
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 6:07pm »

Husband was on 3600mg and Topamax he was spacey but it did not help headaches
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 8:13pm »

I couldn't find any interactions between neurontin and topomax however why anyone would want to take one nasty mood stabilizer and add it to another is beyond me.  
I do not mean you but why your doctor would go that route.
Verapamil would be more like it.

You are on a very high dose of neurontin at the moment so I do not know what you are expecting by adding to the cocktail.
Another med will not necessarily get rid of your 1 breakthrough.

I personally would stay put and abort with whatever method you use and not add anymore meds.

Just me.

Oh yeah........I had horrible side effects with neurontin and topomax. Verapamil standard release did help somewhat.

Good luck
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
EstieSA
New Board Junior
South_Africa 

« Reply #8 on: Nov 13th, 2007, 3:17pm »

on Nov 12th, 2007, 8:13pm, E-Double wrote:

You are on a very high dose of neurontin at the moment ...Another med will not necessarily get rid of your 1 breakthrough.

I personally would stay put and abort with whatever method you use and not add anymore meds.

Just me.
Good luck

A bit of feedback:

I am busy tapering OFF Neurontin and ONTO Topamax whilst taking a steroid taper.  

Reason being is that Neurontin has become ineffective.

It is still early days but I'm hoping for the best.  

Topamax question:  

Is it better to take 50mg twice daily vs 100mg once off at bedtime ?
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #9 on: Nov 14th, 2007, 5:41pm »

You couldn't pay me to take Dopeymax again, but it does work for some people.

BarbaraD says she gets maximum relief and minimum "dopeyffect" by taking it all before bedtime.  We're all different though.  All you can do is try and see what works best for you.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss