Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 9th, 2024, 12:25pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Ice treatment »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Ice treatment
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ice treatment  (Read 452 times)
doogiebklyn
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Ice treatment
« on: Oct 29th, 2007, 3:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone tried ice treatment for CH?  I'm sure you have but I would be curious what your experience was.  

I tried one of those liquid filled eye masks that you put in the freezer.  I can't say that works, but this thing is so cold that when you press it hard against your forehead you're creating some serious pain.  

It's almost like balancing the pain and when I remove the eye mask the CH feels like severe, or maybe I just want it to.  At least it gives me something to do and focus on and not just the pain.  Even if I can distract myself would be an improvement.  

Douglas
IP Logged
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Ice treatment
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 3:22pm »

sometimes I use a single ice cube in a paper towel and hold it above my right  jaw hinge/ear, and move it up in increments to the top of the temple.  It really helps for the side hit, but usually do it at home, or on my break at work.

Charlotte
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #2 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 8:22pm »

A lot of people use ice, mate, and in a lot of different ways - up to, and including, the famous Frozen Banana Therapy.  There's a lovely old saying around here, "Frozen peas are my friends!"

An ice pack over the affected area is very popular as is using it on the back of the neck, especially for those with distinct cluster-bumps.  Switching it from one spot to the other is also very helpful to some, noting always that some CHeads go through the roof just thinking about such an option.

Personally I use hot packs as well as ice, swapping them around all the time from eye to head to neck or whatever.  Figure if I can't beat the bastage at least I can confuse it badly enough that it wants to move on.

IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Dave_C
New Board Newbie
USA 

there is a spiritual solution to every problem

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 9:31pm »

Ice is my friend. I use it on the back of head at the base of my skull, and also on my forehead. Hot showers seem to help to. I let the water beat me in the face for as long as the hot water holds out.
IP Logged

The GOD of my understanding works in mysterious ways.
Emily
New Board Old Timer
Wales 

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 8:45am »

Hi!
I bought some ice packs for cool boxes and I use that on my eye, jaw and cheek. I wrap it in a towel so it doesn't burn, but I do find it helps. It doesn't always reduce the length of tmie, but it does help with the intensity. Also drinking ice water works for me too. I drink about a pint when I feel a hit coming on.

I've also heard about folks breathing in the cold air from the freezer. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help.

Em
IP Logged

The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it.
- Moliere

VinceFromOhio
New Board Newbie
USA 

Not tonight - I have a headache

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 5:46am »

For me, ice directly on my head, neck, or face just annoys the beast. What works best for me is to fill a bucket or bowl with ice, add water, and soak a washcloth in it until it's relatively freezing cold. When I touch the washcloth to my face, particularly over my right eye, the initial shock of the cold startles the beast, but then the temperature of the washcloth rises with the temp of my face. This, I believe, keeps the severe cold from triggering more pain. The application of cold to your head, face, and neck won't shrink swelling around the trigeminal nerve, but will send mild shock signals through the neuro-pathways in your face, which will reach the trigeminal nerve organically. Applying pure ice directly to these areas doesn't seem to work as well for me as a cold washcloth. When the washcloth begins to get warm, it's time to soak it in ice water again...wring it out....then re-apply. I like to use a bucket or large bowl because submerging my hands into the ice water while I'm getting the towel/washcloth cold also seems to help.

Another known way I've found to send similar shockwaves of cold (which seem to ease the pain of a bad cluster attack) is to run the insides of my arms (from the bend in opposite each elbow to the pulse points in my wrists) under cold tap water. I alternate applying the cold washcloth with running my arms under cold water when I'm having a bad attack. The initial sensation feels similar to the shock you feel when jumping into a swimming pool.

Again, for me the process of applying cold definitely works better when the cloth is allowed to rise in temperature with the heat of my body, as opposed to defeating my body heat completely by using pure ice on my face. For this reason, I've also stopped using bags of frozen peas, which I know others here have found helpful during an attack. The washcloth method requires a bit more work, but I've had more success with it, and I've been doing this for many, many years.

Lastly, when an attack is REALLY bad, you'll find me applying cold to those areas AND drinking down a couple cups of very strong coffee. To keep from becoming dehydrated, I keep cold drinking water on hand as well.

As you proceed with reading posts on this message board, you'll find that different things work for different cluster sufferers. These are few things that work for ME.

I hope you find relief from your pain. Currently, it's 5:22am here....I signed on to answer this post after battling one that I woke up with at 4am. Yes, the washcloth is still across the back of my neck!

Best Always,
Vince
IP Logged

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
midwestbeth
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 11:08am »

I always keep two ice packs in the freezer.  I make them myself using rubbing alcohol and water.  Double up a quart size freezer bag, they will last a long time.

I tend to move the ice pack around from my eye, side of my head and the back of my neck.  But if it's a bad hit, (kip 9-10) nothing works.

Everyones different, just got to try and see what works for you.

Good luck,
Beth
IP Logged

Do more than exist - live
Do more than touch - feel
Do more than look - observe
Do more than read - absorb
Do more than hear - listen
Do more than listen - understand
~ John Rhodes
Saffy
New Board Junior
Wales 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 5:10pm »

Vince I find if I wrap an ice cube in the cloth it keeps it colder longer and I hold icecream or and ice cube in the roof of my mouth for a few seconds at a time as well.

Saffy
IP Logged
Saffy
New Board Junior
Wales 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:15am »

I was worse than usual today, which reminded me!!!

When I'm really bad I wrap 2 ice cubes in a wrung out face cloth held on with a liquid filled eye mask, whilst I lie in a hot bath. Sometimes the hot bath makes me feel better , somtimes worse, don't know why - today - better.

Saffy
IP Logged
signdog
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 2nd, 2007, 1:05pm »

Crushed ice in a ziplock bag wraped in a dish towel applied to the side of my head works quite well for me, especially at the onset.
IP Logged

Whether you think you can or can't, YOU'RE RIGHT
Henry Ford
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss