Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 9th, 2024, 12:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « When imi stops working? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   When imi stops working?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: When imi stops working?  (Read 462 times)
southwalessunshine
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

Email

When imi stops working?
« on: Oct 29th, 2007, 2:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hey all,
I'm writing this in between hits, which are happening within 20  ins of the last one stopping.  I just finished a pred taper and had 11 PF days.  I knew the CH would start as if it never stopped but this is ridiculous.  it wasn't even this bad before the taper! For 3 days I've been hit non stop.  nothing is helping.  My Imi injections don't touch the pain which has really scared me as they were my last line of defence and haven't ever let me down before now.  
The only thing I can put it down to is the fact I'm  ow on verapamil.  I had 2 weeks  on 80 mg three times a day,now I'm coming up to 2 weeks of a higher dosage, of 160 mg twice a day.  Now I know that verapamil can cause headaches but do they mean just normal headaches or killer one's?  If this is a side affect then i'd rather be prevent free than cope with this.  It's not too bad this week as the kids are off school but next week they go back to school, and if I'm like this i know I cannot do the school run etc.
Has anyone else experienced this with verapamil?  Or am I just having a really bad run?  Has anyone had a cycle when imi stopped working?  Any advice would be gratefully recieved.
IP Logged

keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow.
Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much.
Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
Helen keller
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

Re: When imi stops working?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 2:47pm »

That's not really a high dose. Depending on your body weight, I've seen folks around here on anywhere from 480mg to over 1,000mg/day.

It works like a charm for me at 480mg/day, but I hate being on it due to the side effects. And yes, I used to get more frequent "hat band" headaches while taking it.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 2:49pm »

Dear Southwalessunshine:

It's been a long time since I was on verapamil, but I've never had Imitrex "stop working".  I think there are times when I'm in High Cycle that the frequency of the CH increases where I'm having them every 2 hours or so.

Have you tried O2 as an abortive?  It may be just the thing to get you through...

Best wishes,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 4:47pm »

I always swore by verap but have recently had second thoughts after I was forced to stop takign it due to heart rythmn problems.  I am startign to think that verap made my cycle longer then necessary.  Not sure but this cycle is verap free so I will find out.  There have been some that trex has not helped as quickly but it usually kicks in eventually.  Sorry about the tough road, hang in there!
Tim
IP Logged
southwalessunshine
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 9:06pm »

02 is taking the edge off,taking a kip 9 down to a kip 7 but that's all.  I've had 2 trex injections a day for three days and it's doing nothing!  usually I get the pressure feeling in my face, neck and chest and have to lie down til that passes, and by then it's kicked in and the Ch is aborted, but I'm not even getting the pressure feeling these last 3 days.  I inject and lietherewaiting and waiting.  No pressure and no relief.  it's pretty darn scary.
Brecrew, you're right it's not a high dose which is why I'm concerned.  I've only been on it coming up to 4 weeks, and it's only my second upping of dosage.  i get an ecg and another up of dose on wednesday.Hatband is exactly what I'm getting , as well as constant hits.  Is this what you got?Were they like normal headaches or intense?  What other side effects did you have?
IP Logged

Helen keller
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 9:30pm »

I have had topomax, Keppra, other prevents increase and intensify my CH.
Trex doesn't work all the time either. My doc had me mix up the triptans. AFTER 24 hours try frova or relpax. Use 02, other triptans, or caffeine to abort or minimize ,then hit it with the trex again. Never mix triptans.  
 I have used lithium for a transitional med with the prednisone. Seemed to hold off the return longer. Get better soon. The demon keeps me guessing, I feel it only polite to return the favor.
thebb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #6 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 9:35pm »

on Oct 29th, 2007, 9:06pm, southwalessunshine wrote:
02 is taking the edge off,taking a kip 9 down to a kip 7 but that's all.  I've had 2 trex injections a day for three days and it's doing nothing!  usually I get the pressure feeling in my face, neck and chest and have to lie down til that passes, and by then it's kicked in and the Ch is aborted, but I'm not even getting the pressure feeling these last 3 days.  I inject and lietherewaiting and waiting.  No pressure and no relief.  it's pretty darn scary.
Brecrew, you're right it's not a high dose which is why I'm concerned.  I've only been on it coming up to 4 weeks, and it's only my second upping of dosage.  i get an ecg and another up of dose on wednesday.Hatband is exactly what I'm getting , as well as constant hits.  Is this what you got?Were they like normal headaches or intense?  What other side effects did you have?

I got regular hits while the verapamil was reaching theraputic levels in my bloodstream. Then I learned to do a prednisone taper while the verapamil and lithium were building up (about a week).

The other side effects of verapamil were only two: constipation and sexual side-effects. That's why I don't like to take it anymore. But I will if I have to because it was very effective for me.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 9:39pm »

Hi Sunshine,

I'm sorry to hear you are getting nailed like this.  I've heard from others that coming off a pred taper can be hell for a few days.  It's kind of like the beast making up for lost time.  I've not heard of Imitrex not working at all though and I doubt its because of the Verapamil.  

Is it possible you are suffering from Imitrex rebounds?  I know if you take too much you can get some nasty rebound headaches.  I'd stick with the O2 and call your Dr if this doesn't clear up by tomorrow.  

Sending you PF wishes.  Hang in there hon.  You are tougher than the beast.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 9:45pm »

If your like me and more folks, Imitrex will triple the amount of HA's you get, try Zomig....no rebounds and the half life is three times as long as Trex.
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

southwalessunshine
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 4:36am »

Thank you for your kind words guys.  To answer a few questions,......zomig doesn't work for me, I tried maxalt and no results there.  I don't think these headaches are rebound because i just came off a pred taper, no pain for 11 days.  Then the first hit came and it had no effect, it's been the same since.  Maybe a few rebounds have crept in yesterday because of the imi but that doesn't explain why it's having no effect on the pain.  I'm seeing the doc tomorrow for my ecg, so i'll have a word then.
IP Logged

Helen keller
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 12:48pm »

Thanks for the update.  PF Vibes coming your way.  I hope the Doctor has some answers for you.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

southwalessunshine
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 3:51pm »

Hi all,
i saw the doc today and he says it looks as if I'm sensitive to the verapamil, which is why I'm getting the headaches and nausea.  He says the reason why the Imi isn't working is because they're not true headaches, so that's a relief. Feeling a little more positive now.  The only worry now is that i have to taper back down to 80 mg three times a day to see how I go and if I'm still experiencing the side effects I can come off it.  I took a tablet this morning and am not taking anymore today.  I took the last one at 7 this morning, and within 3/4 of an hour I had a headache, and come 6 tonight i was suddenly pain free.  I'm dreading putting the next tablet in my mouth.  i'm so tempted to just not take it, but I know i can't do that, but the thought of another week of these side effects is not a good thought.  well' at least it's only a week eh?
IP Logged

Helen keller
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 9:50pm »

Wow, I never heard that one before.  I'm glad you have an answer.  Is he going to try another prevent?

PF wishes to you my sister...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss