Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 8th, 2024, 12:39pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « My first energy drink... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   My first energy drink...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My first energy drink...  (Read 1168 times)
Emily
New Board Old Timer
Wales 

My first energy drink...
« on: Oct 20th, 2007, 6:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been putting off trying Red Bull because I had a really bad reaction to it a few years ago and even the smell of it makes my stomach churn.  nono

I found a different one in the supermarket called V. So I bought a few cans and sure enough on Friday on the train to work, the shadows came on strong (KIP3/4).  

I didn't quite chug it - took me a good 5 mins to drink, but after about 15 mins I did feel better.

I had another one at lunchtime when I felt myself starting to feel a little cloudy, with the eyes watering and the jaw aching and again - poof! All gone.

I'm not a coffee drinker, so I imagine I'm pretty sensitive to the caffeine (also didn't drink even before the CH). I also don't drink any fizzy drinks at all.

Is this a normal reaction, or is this just to the caffeine/sugar?

Also, what can I do to help me sleep? I had a broken night last night (I'm guessing from the caffeine) and was exhausted this morn!

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Em

Edit - Stupid me posted before I'd finished typing...  Embarassed
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2007, 6:26pm by Emily » IP Logged

The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it.
- Moliere

Emily
New Board Old Timer
Wales 

Re: My first energy drink...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 6:30pm »

PS - I was also SUPER HYPER all day! My colleagues now probably think I've got some type of personality disorder as for months I've practically hid behind my computer/in the bathroom suffering with headaches whereas on Friday I swanned in to work, went to all my meetings and was up walking around all day!

laugh
IP Logged

- Moliere

DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 7:07pm »

I'm glad you found some relief.  Your system will adjust to the Caffiene and Tauriene over time.  But try not to over use them and try not to drink them too late in the day.  Or, like you just saw, you'll be up all night  Grin  

When I get hit in the middle of the night and O2 doesn't kick his butt I go right for the Trex injection so I can still get some sleep.  Otherwise I'm useless the next day.  Fortunately, with 12mg of Melatonin a half hour before bed, I'm not getting any night time hits this cycle.

I'm sure your colleagues will appreciate the extra work you're getting done as a result  laugh

Good luck...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 7:17pm »

caffeine good ya.
try to keep it during the day and use other aborts at night
thebb
coffee with lots of creamer or milk helps with the stomach
Java java java java java java java
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
cjc68
New Board Newbie
USA 

The beast always looses in the end!

christopherjc68  

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 10:29pm »

Red Bull has been a part of my treatment for the last 3 cycles now, I have tried some of the others but some of them have ginseng and I have found that it can actually make it worse.

The Taurine (natural calcium channel blocker), B6, B12, caffeine, niacin and inositol is what works best for me....plus it comes in sugar free!....lol

Chris
IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 1:53am »

on Oct 20th, 2007, 6:20pm, Emily wrote:

Also, what can I do to help me sleep? I had a broken night last night (I'm guessing from the caffeine) and was exhausted this morn!

I don't know what the present situation is in the UK as far as OTC melatonin goes, but you might want to try it.  The usual dose for most of us is between 6-12 mg.  I take 9.  (I'm 6'2", 180 lbs).  

Take it between 30 minutes to an hour before bedtime.  

It not only helps me to sleep while in cycle--in my case, it reduces the number of nighttime hits that I get.  Side effects, if any, seem to be very minimal.  Some people have reported some drowsiness the next day, but that's never been a problem for me.

Best wishes,

George  
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #6 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 5:41am »

Emily,

I'm glad that energy drinks help you. Smiley

Reading your post did bring back memories from my first energy drinks... I took my first at 2pm on a Sunday aftenoon and I was still up, all hyper, at 4am the next morning! laugh  

I still use energy drinks and caffeine tablets as part of my ch treatment. Because I had to drink a can/day for a long time (and took taurine tablets 1/day for 50 days), my stomach got upset, so I'm careful with them these days.  

Still, all things considering, caffeine/taurine combo in some form in my best ace in the battle against the beast. I'd rather be a bit hyper than get narcotic sleep/chest pain/feeling that someone is strangeling me/faint, just few of the other meds' side effects to mention.

PF days,
Sanna  

IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

phil_h
New Board Old Timer
USA 

one day at a time , one headache at a time.....

phh252
Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 8:24am »

I tried taurine tablets too , NG ... AMP and RED BULL for this CH......... ANYTIME , ANYWHERE....Try the melatonin like Dennis suggested.... Wishing you PFNAD'S    phil h
IP Logged

Angels are among us ........beasts beware !!!!!!
Mikella
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 9:24am »

Hi Emily!! I didn't forget to write you back by the way, I will. You got solid advice so far, so I'll tell you a bit about my experience.. As you know, I'm new to this. I tried redbull for the first time the other day, too. It tamed down the pain a TINY bit briefly, then that was that. I have constant pain between hits, so I don't know if this type of stuff will work for me, but a lot of people rely on them and you seem to be getting good results, so go for it! You may want to try taurine pills instead, the relief won't be as immediate, but you won't get the side effects of the caffeine - you'll sleep! I prefer taurine pills so far (I'm supposed to go easy on the stimulants/stay away). So if it's already taking you about 20 mins to feel the effects, I'd say give the pills a try! You could probably just take 1000 mg.. and notice the effects not too long after.. probably in about the same amount of time! Anyways, goodluck! I'm glad you found something that helps! Talk soon (I'll write you back) <3 Kella
IP Logged

"Know how sublime a thing it is.. to suffer and be strong" HWL
Emily
New Board Old Timer
Wales 

« Reply #9 on: Oct 22nd, 2007, 3:16pm »

Hey folks,

Thanks for the advice. My system does seem to be adjusting and I'm trying to time the drink for about 10.30am - late enough to see me through to home tmie and early enough so it's not impacting sleep too much.

I have been to the gym 4 days in a row now though. Watch out for my buns of steel!!

I have been making sure I take them with food too. I heard about the upset tums with them, so will be careful.

Thank you again!

Em
IP Logged

- Moliere

Wayne
New Board Old Timer
South_Africa 

RedBull Rules!!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 22nd, 2007, 3:49pm »

So cool when something works hey Em, may you go from strength to strength.
IP Logged

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 22nd, 2007, 5:58pm »

If it works for you, then do it! Me....I can't do caffeine when in cycle.  
The key, IMHO, to managing CH is finding what works for you. I know that sounds so ridiculously simple but it's true. Read what others do, massage it for you, and make it fit into your lifestyle.  
Like an old timer [Drummer?] from here would write:  "Take what you need, leave the rest."  
TomM
IP Logged

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
--Thoreau--
Emily
New Board Old Timer
Wales 

« Reply #12 on: Oct 23rd, 2007, 3:54pm »

Quote:
The key, IMHO, to managing CH is finding what works for you

I couldn't agree more Tom. That's what makes ch so hard to deal with. If only we were all the same and the same thing worked for everyone...  But then I guess we wouldn't have this amazing site!

Energy drinks are still helping and getting me through the working day. It means I get shadows in the evening and (like now) when I get home from work, I'm exhausted and feel like I've been part of a sleep deprivation trial or something.  

However, since I stopped the indo and started with the o2 and the energy drinks I haven't started taking any more preventatives. When a real cycle hits, I'll probably regret it, but for now, I'm loving being med free and PF for a few hours a day - even if it is in work!

Woo hoo!

Wired-but-exhausted Em
IP Logged

- Moliere

Smurfysmurff
New Board Newbie
USA 

biotchysmurff

« Reply #13 on: Oct 24th, 2007, 5:19am »

I too just tried my first energy drink last Saturday, and in my opinion it does help to an extent.  Although, to me, Red Bull is tastes disgusting and I wanted to toss my cookies after chugging it, but it did help lower the pain.
IP Logged

"Little Mary Sunshine died. I'm Little Mary Go F*ck Yourself." - Emmett Honeycutt, Queer as Folk

“Its not intellectual superiority so much as not bowing to the lowest common denominator.” - Greg Sanders, CSI
Emily
New Board Old Timer
Wales 

« Reply #14 on: Oct 24th, 2007, 9:14am »

Try one of the other drinks available. As long as it has caffeine and taurine in it, you're good to rock. I hate Red Bull too. I'm currently drinking one called V. Not sure if you can get it stateside, but I've read about an orange crush flavour one on here too. Not sure of the name.  

I don't glug it in one, but then I've only been taking it for Kip 3 - 5s. Takes me about a minute to drink it. Haven't had the opportunity to try it on a major one just yet. It works for me, or at least works to a point where I can get on with my day and not think about pain all the time, which is all I'm after!

Let me know how you get on with it Smurfy.

Em
IP Logged

- Moliere

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #15 on: Oct 24th, 2007, 11:55am »

I always opt for the cheap stuff - Red Thunder from Aldi (about $0.80 per can), but I just discovered a newer one called NOS. It's passionfruit flavored and has major amounts of caffeine and taurine.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
BC_Battler
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Stay strong

« Reply #16 on: Oct 24th, 2007, 12:04pm »

I'm a big fan of Rock Star (sugar free - the normal stuff is too sweet for me). It always works on the low-to-mid level CHs. I usually try to chug it pretty quickly, although it comes in one of those huge cans, so it's easier said than done.

I've tried all the others, and am not a big fan of Red Bull, mostly because of the taste. I only use it when I can't find a Rock Star.

As I am not a coffee drinker, I probably drink the RS more than I should, especially at this time of year when I get a ton of shadows and low-lovel CHs. Even so, it works, so I'm thrilled!

Cheers -
IP Logged
Wayne
New Board Old Timer
South_Africa 

RedBull Rules!!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 24th, 2007, 12:09pm »

on Oct 24th, 2007, 9:14am, Emily wrote:

I don't glug it in one, but then I've only been taking it for Kip 3 - 5s. Takes me about a minute to drink it. Haven't had the opportunity to try it on a major one just yet.  

Hi Em

If you use it properly, ie drink it as fast as you can when you even think you feel a hit coming, it may well prevent you ever having a 10 again, or at least very seldom.
IP Logged

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
black

Email

« Reply #18 on: Oct 24th, 2007, 3:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

energy drink  Tongue nothing is better from a strong coffee.not that it can stop any hit but it can give a hand after that.and where that taurine comes from??
IP Logged
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #19 on: Oct 25th, 2007, 5:20pm »

Here's a chart of information on taurine energy drinks:

http://tommydfungus.googlepages.com/taurinepage1
IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
CostaRicaKris
New Board Veteran
USA 

Currently training for AFC half Marathon

CostaRicaKris  
Email

« Reply #20 on: Oct 28th, 2007, 9:00pm »

on Oct 24th, 2007, 12:04pm, BC_Battler wrote:
I'm a big fan of Rock Star (sugar free - the normal stuff is too sweet for me). It always works on the low-to-mid level CHs.  

Cheers -

Me too. I've just discovered this recently and so far, I'm hooked. I should be nearing the end of my cycle, but I've found my shadows getting worse this week, maybe the stress of the fires and playing catch up at work. The sugar free Rock Star has really been helping with shadows. I've never had energy drinks before (other than Red Bull and vodka) but they aren't making me jittery at all. Probably because I'm a Huge coffee junkie.
IP Logged

Visit my website: http://www.active.com/donate/amnhealthcare/KristinaMorris to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss