Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 5:36am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex injection vs Zomig 10mg nasal spray »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex injection vs Zomig 10mg nasal spray
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex injection vs Zomig 10mg nasal spray  (Read 1187 times)
cjc68
New Board Newbie
USA 

The beast always looses in the end!

christopherjc68  

Imitrex injection vs Zomig 10mg nasal spray
« on: Oct 15th, 2007, 3:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello fellow clusterheads, Chris here, I am trying to get a little feedback and need some help. I am a episodic sufferer and the beast has come back to visit as of last night.. I have been a clusterhead for about 20yrs now. For the most part the beast visits me every couple of years for at least 2-3 months. The last couple of visits I pretty much treated myself with all the alternatives (Kudzu, white grape juice, melatonin, red bull, ect.) with the exception of 1 emergency room visit in which they gave me a shot of imitrex. This time around I have decided to visit the Doc again. In the past I have had good luck with Imitrex injections and nasal spray, pred taper and a prevent. I have heard few things about  Zomig 10 mg nasal spray and would like to get some feedback from those of you who have tried both, the imitrex injections and Zomig 10mg nasal spray. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Many pfdan to all!
Chris
IP Logged
jimp63
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Imitrex injection vs Zomig 10mg nasal spray
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15th, 2007, 4:00pm »

Chris,
I never tried Zomig.  I was an avid supporter of Imitrex Inj., was using it daily about 5 weeks ago.  I did speak to someone first hand who used Imitrex inj, felt a painful/weird sensation in her foot, started having chest pain.  Went to the E.D. and was diagniosed with a pulmonary embolism.  Scared the shit out of her and me.  Scared me enough to think twice about plunging the spike next time.  I actually started a p. cub farm shortly after speaking with her.  Hopefully I'll be able to harvest soon and have a sometimes reliable, safe (don't panic, it's organic) treatment modality.  Good luck.
IP Logged
cjc68
New Board Newbie
USA 

christopherjc68  

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15th, 2007, 4:43pm »

Thanks for that info jimp63, thats good to know. Well 20 more minutes and I am leaving for the Docs office. I know one thing for sure....I am going to request 02 to be part of my treatment this time around.
IP Logged
midwestbeth
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15th, 2007, 5:22pm »

I've used both the imitrex and zomig spray.

Imitrex works for me everytime within 5-10 min.

If you try the zomig make sure you use it correctly.  The spray must stay in your nose, do not sniff it to the back of your throat.  Zomig worked for me in about 10-15 minutes.

I prefer trex over zomig, but both worked for me.

Beth
IP Logged

Do more than exist - live
Do more than touch - feel
Do more than look - observe
Do more than read - absorb
Do more than hear - listen
Do more than listen - understand
~ John Rhodes
clusterwife
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Oct 15th, 2007, 7:27pm »

My hubby tried both without any help from either.  Good luck and painfree wishes, Leah.
IP Logged

Maybe through me he can find the truth, for I will always try.
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 5:30am »

I've done both. Imitrex injections acts much faster, but the next headache is shortly around the corner. Zomig nasal takes about 15-20 minutes to work, but keeps the additional headaches at bay for longer.  These are my results.  From what I understand, the zomig has a much longer half life.

I have been very fortunate in that I haven't taken either one since about last March or so.  I have a lot of activity, but pain levels are very low and is taken care of with O2, red bull, and ghostwriter's brew.

John
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 10:40am »

Neurology. 2007 Aug 28;69(9):821-6.  
Zolmitriptan nasal spray in the acute treatment of cluster headache: a double-blind study.

Rapoport AM, Mathew NT, Silberstein SD, Dodick D, Tepper SJ, Sheftell FD, Bigal ME.

Department of Neurology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA. alanrapoport@gmail.com

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of zolmitriptan 5 mg and 10 mg nasal spray (ZNS) vs placebo in the acute treatment of cluster headache. Design/ METHODS: We conducted a multicenter, double-blind, randomized, three-period crossover study using ZNS 5 mg, ZNS 10 mg, and placebo. Headache intensity was rated by a 5-point scale: none, mild, moderate, severe, or very severe. The primary efficacy measure was headache response (pain reduced from moderate, severe, or very severe at baseline, to mild or none) at 30 minutes. Logistic regression was used to account for treatment period effect as well as for cluster headache subtype effect. RESULTS: A total of 52 adult patients treated 151 attacks. For the primary endpoint, both doses reached significance at 30 minutes (placebo = 30%, ZNS 5 mg = 50%, ZNS 10 mg = 63.3%). For headache relief, ZNS 10 mg separated from placebo at 10 minutes (24.5% vs 10%). Zolmitriptan 5 mg separated from placebo at 20 minutes (38.5% vs 20%). For pain-free status, ZNS 10 mg was superior to placebo at 15 minutes (22.0% vs 6%). Both doses had higher pain-free rates than placebo at 30 minutes (placebo = 20%, ZNS 5 mg = 38.5%, ZNS 10 mg = 46.9%). Side effects were mild and seen in 16% of those attacks treated with placebo, 25% of attacks treated with ZNS 5 mg, and 32.7% treated with ZNS 10 mg. Conclusions/Relevance: Zolmitriptan nasal spray, at doses of 5 and 10 mg, is effective and tolerable for the acute treatment of cluster headache.

Publication Types:  
Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

PMID: 17724283 [PubMed]
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 11:04am »

I've only tried zomig, twice, and it failed on both occasions. I've been too scared of injections to try imitrex.

That's my experience.

PF days,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

kc430
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 1:59pm »

I've tried Imitrex and Zomig.  Imitrex gave me an allergic reaction in which my throat swelled.  Neither worked for me.
IP Logged
cjc68
New Board Newbie
USA 

christopherjc68  

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 4:15pm »

Thank you everyone for your feedback! It has all been reviewed and taken into consideration. You guys are the best! How comforting it is to know I can come here and ask for feedback or just vent and have so many friends that I have never meet that are there to lend an ear and share a kind word or two with.
Love you all!
Chris
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss