Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 7:14am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « A brief history of pain »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   A brief history of pain
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A brief history of pain  (Read 249 times)
flustercluck
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

A brief history of pain
« on: Oct 11th, 2007, 9:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

First experienced ch over 40 years ago; diagnosed as a neuralgia. Doc wanted to do surgery, which I declined.  Suffered two years and headaches self-remitted.  Four years ago they returned (age 62) as seasonal (spring).  First year lasted two months treated with only strong analgesics with little effect and much suffering.  Second spring found a neurologist who immediately put me on O2, which provided spectactular relief; knocked down most headaches after about 10 min. on 8 l./min. Problem was daily headaches often returned 3 or 4 times the same night.  Following year, same story.  Headaches nearly every day, pretty much same time of day, often returning several times after O2 knock-down. Doc prescribed prednisone tapering off while adding Depakote increasing doses.  Moderately successful - reduced headache occurrence to about 2-3 per week.  BUT - this is really bad stuff!  Serious personality changes as a result of this drug.  I guess if it had really completely ended the ch, I might have stuck with it, but it screwed me up royally, damn near tore up my marriage, plus I developed - and continue to have - an almost constant tinitus (ringing in the ears) which almost certainly was caused by the drug.  Moreover, in the third year, the ch went from seasonal to chronic; they started in the winter, not the spring, and continued on and on.    Since I have a chronic low blood pressure problem, for which I take daily theophylline, we had not considered verapamil, and my one experience with imitrex was a freakout.  But now we were in serious deep doo doo, so we agreed to try verapamil, minimal doses again starting with prednisone and tapering off as the verapamil increased.  Folks, I gotta tell you it was life-changing.  Yes, we've had to monkey with the dosage. But I have not had a serious ch since February.  So far the only oddity has been a significant increase in migraine auras, which I've had off and on for about six years, without the headache itself.  These come on randomly with typical scintillation, etc., and last on average about 20 minutes often leaving me with something of a hangover, but nothing worse.

Thought I'd share, just to see how others' experiences compare.  I can live like this.  There are a lot of worse things.  Two years ago I couldn't have said that.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: A brief history of pain
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11th, 2007, 11:38am »

glad you have found relief!!!

I had some bad side efftecs with most meds as well.

good luck and enjoy life
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11th, 2007, 11:57am »

Congrats on finding your "silver bullet!" One thing to add, I have the same problem you do if I use only 02 to abort, they come back, usually within 20 minutes of shutting down the oxygen.

Now I pop a cafergot pill, kind of an old school CH medication, then start the oxygen. 02 aborts, cafergot buys me up to 12 hours pain free time. Others have said they chug a couple cups of coffee or an energy drink when they start the 02 and get the same result I do with cafergot. Just another tool to keep in your bag in case you need it down the line.

And again, congrats on your success with verapamil, having a potent tool sure makes a difference in your quality of life!!!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
ski2k
New Board Old Timer
USA 

skipolak  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11th, 2007, 11:42pm »

headbanger headbanger

I just love hearing about people finding something that works for them!!! Postings like this give us all hope!!

Best of luck to you, and hoping it continues to work!!

Adam
IP Logged

Here's where I got my RC (Rivea Corymbosa)seeds: I am Shaman
https://www.iamshaman.net/affiliatewiz/aw.aspx?A=1022&Task=Click
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss